Transbaviaans 2022

DKS

1 minute ago, Wil6 said:

LOL I hear you. Yeah by the looks of it a later start at 10:00 might be the best option

Official comms went out, start will now be between 7 - 9am.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting later is a bit of a double edged sword. Those little icons depicting snow just underneath Willowmore is less at 05:00 versus 07:00 🤪. Then also in J-Bay those yellow-orange shows an rain fall in excess of 10mm. To me it means that it can easily move inland and increase the blue sections towards Willlowmore. 

image.png.5fb4ca772f8a1c019fd176b3aeaff693.png

If I then allow the animation to continue to later in the  afternoon then the picture looks like this: 

image.png.5e338eb9200e052e0272591d4b6295a2.png

To me, one can easily HTFU during a 50-100km ride but 230km is a bit excessive. So no, I am not even packing any kit to ensure that I can't change my mind on the day 

2 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Starting later is a bit of a double edged sword. Those little icons depicting snow just underneath Willowmore is less at 05:00 versus 07:00 🤪. Then also in J-Bay those yellow-orange shows an rain fall in excess of 10mm. To me it means that it can easily move inland and increase the blue sections towards Willlowmore. 

If I then allow the animation to continue to later in the  afternoon then the picture looks like this: 

To me, one can easily HTFU during a 50-100km ride but 230km is a bit excessive. So no, I am not even packing any kit to ensure that I can't change my mind on the day 

I've got a 55k race in George on Saturday. Its going to be a fast 55km just to keep warm then straight back to chalet , hot shower into bed for a nap and game of Sequence with the fam.

good luck to all the TransB nutters. I'm definitely not having FOMO for you okes :)

36 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

from 2.30 Be a man.

Ja ney... I'll def pack in nothing and stay home instead. Don't see any benefit in pitching to a monster ride with such pretty conditions.

The thought of a probable drivetrain/full bearing and/or suspension service or even replacement will help me give it a miss.

Luckily I never entered and don't have to make the decision.

Goodluck you'll 🤠

haha, yeah as it stands I won't go. Weather will need to drastically improve for me to even pack.

I have prepped my bike and put on a complete old drivetrain, with mud guards and everything. 

At this point it's not even about the cost. It's about what I enjoy and why I cycle, and "braving this 💩 show" is not why do these events.

If the rain disappears I will go, even if I know it will be muddy... I think I could still find some enjoyment of doing the event then. 

4 hours ago, The Commuter said:

20220817_101114.jpg

image.png.b48799de2cfcada915879bb0723bfcbf.pngI got these at Declathon supposed to be wind and waterproof - we will see ?? - no padding they slide over my fairly thick glove setup and your thumb 2 fingers are still there to work the brakes and gears

53 minutes ago, babse said:

Ja ney... I'll def pack in nothing and stay home instead. Don't see any benefit in pitching to a monster ride with such pretty conditions.

The thought of a probable drivetrain/full bearing and/or suspension service or even replacement will help me give it a miss.

Luckily I never entered and don't have to make the decision.

Goodluck you'll 🤠

I popped in at the LBS yesterday ....  He was busy fixing a bike from last weekends TB ... THREE of the four wheel bearings had disintegrated ....  That rider made it to the finish on pure luck ....

Thankfully, wheel bearings are cheap ..... not sure what costs were incurred on the drive train ....

Fine if your drive train is past its prime .... but destroying a new x12 speed setup can be very costly.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

I popped in at the LBS yesterday ....  He was busy fixing a bike from last weekends TB ... THREE of the four wheel bearings had disintegrated ....  That rider made it to the finish on pure luck ...

Early 2000s, about 10 - 15km into the 947, my BB went from cluck cluck noises to stuck in one position.

Climbed off the bike to inspect, somehow back pedaling free'd it. Not sure how but it stopped clucking too. Finished the race like that. BB bearing fell out in pieces when I took it apart.

1 hour ago, WaldoZ said:

haha, yeah as it stands I won't go. Weather will need to drastically improve for me to even pack.

I have prepped my bike and put on a complete old drivetrain, with mud guards and everything. 

At this point it's not even about the cost. It's about what I enjoy and why I cycle, and "braving this 💩 show" is not why do these events.

If the rain disappears I will go, even if I know it will be muddy... I think I could still find some enjoyment of doing the event then. 

Not what you said riding to the start of DC last year..

1 minute ago, Supersix CT said:

Not what you said riding to the start of DC last year..

haha, I think there is a difference riding on public, easy accessible roads with a support vehicle following you vs going off into the bundoes where you don't even have cell reception.

The DC win was also more worth it 🤪

7 hours ago, ChrisF said:

I popped in at the LBS yesterday ....  He was busy fixing a bike from last weekends TB ... THREE of the four wheel bearings had disintegrated ....  That rider made it to the finish on pure luck ....

Thankfully, wheel bearings are cheap ..... not sure what costs were incurred on the drive train ....

Fine if your drive train is past its prime .... but destroying a new x12 speed setup can be very costly.

def not for me, this. 

If there is anyone staying in Willowmore town that already pulled the plug and have their accommodation available.  Please contact me 079 891 2055. Thank you