The Bike Steal Thing Is Really Getting Out Of Hand

OVERDRIVE

16 hours ago, justinafrika said:

It’s so bad in Amsterdam that anyone who lives there or regularly visits, including three acquaintances and countless online accounts, expects that their bikes will be stolen.  With time, to replace stolen bikes, they’ve learned to steal bikes. 

Locals say that it’s become a norm.

Rather have a bike stolen, then robbed in my home or high jacked for my bike or car

1 hour ago, Sampaj said:

Rather have a bike stolen, then robbed in my home or high jacked for my bike or car

Agreed.  Then again, before turning my home perimeter into a fortress,  I’d been quite successful at chasing people out of my garden and once overcame violent home invaders.  Still have the knife wound scar on my hand from when Sizwezakhe Vumazonke tried to stab me when he saw me waking up on my couch.  He regretted that.  GF and stepdaughter were unharmed.  If the name sounds familiar it’s the same guy who years later was the triggerman hired to kill Jayde Panayioutou.  Afrika’s not for sissies, yes I mean me… :D

As far as my bikes are concerned I think they’re pretty enough to sleep in the entrance hall.

Edited by justinafrika

In the UK if you break in to a shed (where bikes are mostly stored) its not seen as breaking and entering and as a result its a much lesser crime. So thieves don't get charged with much if they broke in to a shed, so they get off with a minor fine and no record. Or so i was told by my mate who has had his shed burgled multiple times and as a result is lighter a couple of bikes. 

Seems like bikes are seen as a luxury lifestyle toy in some countries. Or basic transport and rights in other. So redistributing access to transport is a right.

I lived in five countries, the worst places for bike theft where:

NL - whilst "parked", irrespective of lock

Brasil - politely being asked for your bike with some weapon in hand. Bike heists - where all bikes at an event is taken is not uncommon. I raced in more than one XC where police with automatic assult rifles gaurded the track.

SA - similar to Brasil, but with the added shoving you from the bike. 

Macedonia/Kosovo/Eastern Europe - unheard of, in particular Slovenia

Personally haven't experience any bike theft, and the only country I've had stuff stolen was SA and NL.

12 hours ago, Barry said:

Is this still available? Can i please get your address? 😂🤣

Sure! I'll be going away in a little over a week. :lol:

If you could "acquire" my Husky FE350 enduro bike, you'd be doing me a great service... 

...I've been meaning to sell the damn thing, but get lethargic every time I think about the schlep to get it road registered again.

Edited by patches

12 hours ago, vanniri said:

I lived in five countries, the worst places for bike theft where:

NL - whilst "parked", irrespective of lock

Brasil - politely being asked for your bike with some weapon in hand. Bike heists - where all bikes at an event is taken is not uncommon. I raced in more than one XC where police with automatic assult rifles gaurded the track.

SA - similar to Brasil, but with the added shoving you from the bike. 

Macedonia/Kosovo/Eastern Europe - unheard of, in particular Slovenia

Personally haven't experience any bike theft, and the only country I've had stuff stolen was SA and NL.

I cannot really contribute as I have not lived outside of SA but in Vancouver where we hired bikes the shop owner provided one of those folding high tensile steel bar locks (I have not seen on in SA). He said if you get off your bike, lock it.

On 12/15/2021 at 9:40 PM, OVERDRIVE said:

Little rant-fetched bikes from LBS and had to go to Sandton for a meeting. Had to take both off the rack and store them inside the car and take them out again when I got back. Irritating because seeing they were locked I should be able to leave them on the rack, and find them when I return.

Then I realized, someone once told me we don't have a monopoly on crime. I saw this, and gave up. 

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/videos/watch/watch-incredible-moment-a-brazen-thief-tries-to-steal-a-bike-off-the-back-of-a-moving-car?jwsource=cl

What irritates me even more are the 24 000 hrs of ads you need to watch before you can watch the actual video.

On 12/16/2021 at 8:42 AM, TheoG said:

I got insurance on my bike but sorry that doesn't cut it for me.  I put way to much effort, care and money into my bike just to replace it with another on insurance money.  I will rather do everything possible to prevent it from getting stolen in the first place.

If at all possible, the bike go inside my car and I will not leave it unattended at all.

I have a 20 year old car that i have kept going since i seriously Started cycling 10 years ago just because i can fit my XL bike inside .I only use a bikerack when i transport more than one bike .Whilst on a bike-rack a cable also  is threaded through the frame .My daughter used her commuter bike in Stellenbosch once and the
y stole the tube from the wheel In front of the faculty 

Edited by eala