The Bike Steal Thing Is Really Getting Out Of Hand

OVERDRIVE

Little rant-fetched bikes from LBS and had to go to Sandton for a meeting. Had to take both off the rack and store them inside the car and take them out again when I got back. Irritating because seeing they were locked I should be able to leave them on the rack, and find them when I return.

Then I realized, someone once told me we don't have a monopoly on crime. I saw this, and gave up. 

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/videos/watch/watch-incredible-moment-a-brazen-thief-tries-to-steal-a-bike-off-the-back-of-a-moving-car?jwsource=cl

15 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Bike theft is rampant in Holland. That one caught me off guard. 

It’s so bad in Amsterdam that anyone who lives there or regularly visits, including three acquaintances and countless online accounts, expects that their bikes will be stolen.  With time, to replace stolen bikes, they’ve learned to steal bikes. 

Locals say that it’s become a norm.

The way bikes are left 'locked' on bike racks I wonder how many are insured and the owners are wanting them to go missing. 

How many get stolen off the back of cars every week and then everyone acts surprised

1 hour ago, justinafrika said:

It’s so bad in Amsterdam that anyone who lives there or regularly visits, including three acquaintances and countless online accounts, expects that their bikes will be stolen.  With time, to replace stolen bikes, they’ve learned to steal bikes. 

Locals say that it’s become a norm.

Lots of very low value bikes used for commuting in lots of places in Europe (and in sa I suppose).

Here in Cooenhagen laws are respected, crime is non existent...until it comes to bicycles then it's a free for all. Electric bikes (especially cargo ebikes) are the most stolen.

1 hour ago, Andreas_187 said:

The way bikes are left 'locked' on bike racks I wonder how many are insured and the owners are wanting them to go missing. 

How many get stolen off the back of cars every week and then everyone acts surprised

II hear you...but I've heard it all. Chain gets cut, lock broken open, and one common denominator-the so called car guard never sees anything. But when you leave without a tip you're looked at as evil. 

3 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Little rant-fetched bikes from LBS and had to go to Sandton for a meeting. Had to take both off the rack and store them inside the car and take them out again when I got back. Irritating because seeing they were locked I should be able to leave them on the rack, and find them when I return.

Then I realized, someone once told me we don't have a monopoly on crime. I saw this, and gave up. 

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/videos/watch/watch-incredible-moment-a-brazen-thief-tries-to-steal-a-bike-off-the-back-of-a-moving-car?jwsource=cl

I live in a house without a front gate. I often forget to lock the car (which parks in the driveway) or sometimes even the front door. Once (while away over a long weekend) some contractors forgot to close my garage properly when leaving the property, exposing it and it's contents (bicycles, dirt bikes, tools etc) to the street and any passers by for 3 days. To date I have not had any incidents *touch wood*...

BUT like many ex-pats on here have said, bike-crime seems to be somewhat "acceptable" (or at least tolerated) in even the most law-abiding countries. One often sees "STOLEN" posts on the New Zealand MTB sales pages.

I'm note sure why this mentality exists? Is bicycle crime a little more "innocent" in the criminal's eyes? I'd bet that most bike thieves here would not steal a car, but in NZ many cyclists have bikes worth more than their cars, so value cannot be the justification. Maybe the punishment doesn't quite match the crime? Who knows?!

Edited by patches

33 minutes ago, Longbarn Killer said:

The best protection against bike theft is insurance. 

I got insurance on my bike but sorry that doesn't cut it for me.  I put way to much effort, care and money into my bike just to replace it with another on insurance money.  I will rather do everything possible to prevent it from getting stolen in the first place.

If at all possible, the bike go inside my car and I will not leave it unattended at all.

Edited by TheoG

7 hours ago, patches said:

I live in a house without a front gate. I often forget to lock the car (which parks in the driveway) or sometimes even the front door. Once (while away over a long weekend) some contractors forgot to close my garage properly when leaving the property, exposing it and it's contents (bicycles, dirt bikes, tools etc) to the street and any passers by for 3 days. To date I have not had any incidents *touch wood*...

BUT like many ex-pats on here have said, bike-crime seems to be somewhat "acceptable" (or at least tolerated) in even the most law-abiding countries. One often sees "STOLEN" posts on the New Zealand MTB sales pages.

I'm note sure why this mentality exists? Is bicycle crime a little more "innocent" in the criminal's eyes? I'd bet that most bike thieves here would not steal a car, but in NZ many cyclists have bikes worth more than their cars, so value cannot be the justification. Maybe the punishment doesn't quite match the crime? Who knows?!

The "open door" policy takes some getting used to as an expatter! We once went away for the weekend and when we got back our front door was wide open - as a saffer I immediately went into "we've been robbed" mode but nah - the lock didn't engage when we left so our front door flapped around for 3 days while we had fun in Sweden.

The bike theft mentality is a strange one - Denmark really is a societal country where "the community" comes first so bike theft makes no sense. We blame it on the foreigners of course 😉 The police here don't give a rat's arse about bike theft so maybe you're right on that point.

7 hours ago, patches said:

Is this still available? Can i please get your address? 😂🤣

12 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

I am amazed that the car following this one did nothing - only a hoot right at the end.

It's not like these were pedestrians vs the angle grinder gang in that other video...

6 hours ago, Longbarn Killer said:

The best protection against bike theft is insurance. 

Funny enough, I can't ensure the contents of my barn/shed for more than a total value of £2500. I have multiple bikes, trailers, power tools etc in it, but insurance aren't interested in any discussion .

16 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

She should have stopped reversed!