2022 Sport / Fitness Goals

The Ouzo

12 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

I get excited when people begin to dream and chase goals.

A few tips that may help you on the path: 😋

1. The one-time rule: When you skip one workout and don't fret about it. Too much fretting can lead to shame. Shame can lead to giving up. Just get back up and never miss the next workout. That is how consistency is built.

2. If you can't go long, then maybe go short and intense; but never not go. For example, when my life gets busy, I warm up for 10 mins, go max effort, for 10 mins and cool down for 10.

3. Action before mood - I get motivated when I warmed up, seldom when I get into my kit before the work-out. Never wait to feel motivated to train. When we train, we become motivated and, in the end, we are so glad we did.

Sterkte! Be safe out there.

100% agreed

the amount of times number 3 has worked for me last year is crazy. Getting up at 5am when its dark and cold its all to easy to say bugger this and climb back into bed, but then rules 1 and 2 become a problem and next thing you know you've skipped a week, then 2 and then your goal goes from becoming achievable with a small push to becoming a big task to achieve.

Your posts on "where has your bike taken you today" thread and on Strava often motivate me to just get out there.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

I get excited when people begin to dream and chase goals.

A few tips that may help you on the path: 😋

1. The one-time rule: When you skip one workout, just don’t fret about it. Too much fretting can lead to shame. Shame can lead to giving up. Just get back up and never miss the next workout. That is how consistency is built.

2. If you can't go long, then maybe go short and intense; but never not go. For example, when my life gets busy, I warm up for 10 mins, go max effort, for 10 mins and cool down for 10.

3. Action before mood - I get motivated mostly at the point when I warmed up and seldom when I get into my kit before the work-out. Never wait to feel motivated to train. When we train, we become motivated and, in the end, we feel the pride of fighting and beating our inner resistance.

Sterkte! Be safe out there, julle.

1.5. If you're supposed to do intervals at 120% of FTP, and you're struggling, it's better to do 105% of FTP and complete said session than to stop all together. Likewise, it you're feeling lekker, bump it up a bit from 105% to 110%. That's why it's called a range, and not an absolute number.

20 hours ago, Jbr said:

Do you have a specific side in mind ? I did sault and malaucene last july and wouldn’t recommend Malaucene if you are doubting your fitness, sault is easier.

As for my goals well mostly try to enjoy tour du cap and CTCT in the short term, going over chappies still close to the front would be amazing I’ll start training towards that a bit more in the next couple of months and hopefully see new PR numbers for 3-5-7-10 mins efforts.

After that I’m hoping to have more time in France in july/august to ride more roads than last year when I only did one day in the alps and one day at Mt Ventoux.

No specific km and elevation as a goal as I’m not looking at increasing volume in 2022, if anything I’d like to get more MTB in so that will be less time and miles (and chances to vbe taken out by a taxi) but more elevation !

Want to do Bedoin...

I have a great base, so if I drop the needed 5kg, I'll be just fine with the rental bikes which have lekker low gears (34x32).  I normally ride 39x27 on the longer/steeper climbs.  The 20km distance is my only worry - seems like a 2hr effort.

This will be 30min longer than Swartberg Pass. But also more climbing!!

I have not entered CTCT due to injury concerns at the time, and now I reckon even should I make it to get an entry, I dunno if making myself fit enough to do the lap is feasible with the remaining time.

I am also wondering about K2C - I would love to ride it again, but I'm not particularly keen on doing it solo - my brother always joined me, but he decided Harley's are better at riding than Giant Anthems . . . Dunno where he would get that idea from . . .