2022 Sport / Fitness Goals

The Ouzo

1 hour ago, Veebee said:

For me its just to get back on the bike and over my "injury" . Have a herniated/slipped disc on L4/L5 and the bike really leaves me in alot of pain.

Had an awful 2021, year started bad and just continued that way, coming from 2020 where I did like 16000km on the bike and a fair bit of running and gym work.

All the best. I’ve been there and it required an op to sort out. 

Try https://www.stretchingsa.co.za. Lots of guys here highly recommend them. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

All the best. I’ve been there and it required an op to sort out. 

Try https://www.stretchingsa.co.za. Lots of guys here highly recommend them. 

Which op did you go for and how long did recovery take ? How does it feel now on the bike ?

Surgeon says I should give it 6-8 months with regular physio and all the home exercises. If it doesnt improve then will have to do the discectomy and have the portion of the disc removed.

Thanks for the link, I see they are not in Dbn but will go through some of the videos.

39 minutes ago, Veebee said:

Which op did you go for and how long did recovery take ? How does it feel now on the bike ?

Surgeon says I should give it 6-8 months with regular physio and all the home exercises. If it doesnt improve then will have to do the discectomy and have the portion of the disc removed.

Thanks for the link, I see they are not in Dbn but will go through some of the videos.

Had the discectomy done. Recovery was about 6 months of no mountain biking. after that I was on a road bike for a couple of months. 

This was in April 2014. 7+ years later and I’m still going strong. Hard rides with lots of drops and jumps. 

Top tip. Don’t skimp on rest and physio / biokinetics. Build your core as strong as possible. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy, public goals are never good ;)

goal 1) try go from 9 hours a week to 10 maybe 11 hours

goal 2) ride 6 days a week with Monday as a rest day

goal 3) get to 300w ftp by year end

goal 4) end top 200 at 94.7 mtb

bonus goal) figure out how to coach myself.

On 12/26/2021 at 8:20 AM, Underachiever said:

Fit and strong enough to ride Ventoux in June...

Do you have a specific side in mind ? I did sault and malaucene last july and wouldn’t recommend Malaucene if you are doubting your fitness, sault is easier.

As for my goals well mostly try to enjoy tour du cap and CTCT in the short term, going over chappies still close to the front would be amazing I’ll start training towards that a bit more in the next couple of months and hopefully see new PR numbers for 3-5-7-10 mins efforts.

After that I’m hoping to have more time in France in july/august to ride more roads than last year when I only did one day in the alps and one day at Mt Ventoux.

No specific km and elevation as a goal as I’m not looking at increasing volume in 2022, if anything I’d like to get more MTB in so that will be less time and miles (and chances to vbe taken out by a taxi) but more elevation !

Edited by Jbr

15 hours ago, Marcv said:

Oh boy, public goals are never good ;)

goal 1) try go from 9 hours a week to 10 maybe 11 hours

goal 2) ride 6 days a week with Monday as a rest day

goal 3) get to 300w ftp by year end

goal 4) end top 200 at 94.7 mtb

bonus goal) figure out how to coach myself.

Without knowing all the details, I can see either a plateaux or burnout coming.

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

Without knowing all the details, I can see either a plateaux or burnout coming.

I hope not :)

Interesting comparison on annual kms achieved in 2021 between my younger brother and me. We both spent the year WFH - sitting behind computer screens for at least 8 hours a day. 

We both did more than 200 rides, 7000kms and 90 000m ascent. 

He did more than double his normal amount of riding . I did 40% more than normal.

He lost 10kgs in weight . I stayed constant.

2022 Goals for me.

Only have one Bucket List race this year - Berg and Bush - entered and paid

Will try to do CTCT in March for 1st time since 2005 if I can get the timing right with WFH in Cape Town instead of Jhb that month.

Apart from these I have not ridden at Tokai, Paarl, Oak Valley, Wellington, Jonkers (since fire) 

I get excited when people begin to dream and chase goals.

A few tips that may help you on the path: 😋

1. The one-time rule: When you skip one workout, just don’t fret about it. Too much fretting can lead to shame. Shame can lead to giving up. Just get back up and never miss the next workout. That is how consistency is built.

2. If you can't go long, then maybe go short and intense; but never not go. For example, when my life gets busy, I warm up for 10 mins, go max effort, for 10 mins and cool down for 10.

3. Action before mood - I get motivated mostly at the point when I warmed up and seldom when I get into my kit before the work-out. Never wait to feel motivated to train. When we train, we become motivated and, in the end, we feel the pride of fighting and beating our inner resistance.

Sterkte! Be safe out there, julle.

30E98CA4-A0CA-45FF-9DA4-D704D427B870.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale

3 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

1. The one-time rule: When you skip one workout and don't fret about it. Too much fretting can lead to shame. Shame can lead to giving up. Just get back up and never miss the next workout. That is how consistency is built.

2. If you can't go long, then maybe go short and intense; but never not go. For example, when my life gets busy, I warm up for 10 mins, go max effort, for 10 mins and cool down for 10.

3. Action before mood - I get motivated when I warmed up, seldom when I get into my kit before the work-out. Never wait to feel motivated to train. When we train, we become motivated and, in the end, we are so glad we did.

Sterkte! Be safe out there.

I like that third rule. 💗

many times I dread getting up and going out (not a morning person) but once I'm on the bike I get all opgewonde en goeters....

8 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

1. The one-time rule: When you skip one workout and don't fret about it. Too much fretting can lead to shame. Shame can lead to giving up. Just get back up and never miss the next workout. That is how consistency is built.

3. Action before mood - I get motivated when I warmed up, seldom when I get into my kit before the work-out. Never wait to feel motivated to train. When we train, we become motivated and, in the end, we are so glad we did.

Sterkte! Be safe out there.

top tips, coach!

My short term goals currently is to stay healthy 🤞

Edited by babse