Ladies please help: what cycling shorts to buy?

rbb

I'm a complete noob, just started riding at age 50 (literally - I never learnt to ride as a child). I bought a pair of First Ascent Domestique cycling shorts from Sportsman's Warehouse. I've done six 30-minute rides out on quiet suburban roads. My problem: I get really sore "down there" after less than 30 minutes. And I'm not talking bum soreness - I'm talking it feels like I've been cut inside my vagina. It burns when I go to the loo after a ride. And again - I'm not doing hours and hours on the bike - it's literally 30 minutes max. I just thought I needed to get the bike set up properly (which I know I do - I thought I should just get a bit more confident on the bike first), but my sister, who has been riding for years, just bought the same shorts and is complaining that she's also getting pain that she's never had before. So maybe it is just the shorts. I don't want to spend thousands of Rands on gear - I'm just doing this riding thing as a bit of a hobby to stay fit. So - which shorts to buy?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My recommendation would be to start with changing your saddle. Most bicycles come with male saddles. Males and females have very different sit bone widths.

Good bike shops have a thing you sit on, which measures your sitbones. This helps in finding a saddle.

Another tip is to not wear underwear AND your cycling short. The cycling short should be worn on its own. Most cyclists have had bum issues somewhere along the line.

Goodluck! 

I was suffering with saddle pain and numbness after a back injury.

A bike fit went a long way to making things more comfortable.

I'm a pretty small dude but have really wide sit bones, I ended up needing a 164mm saddle to relieve the pain.

However, it was only when I changed riding pants that the numbness went away completely.

Sounds l

9 minutes ago, RiverInTheRoad said:

My recommendation would be to start with changing your saddle. Most bicycles come with male saddles. Males and females have very different sit bone widths.

Good bike shops have a thing you sit on, which measures your sitbones. This helps in finding a saddle.

Another tip is to not wear underwear AND your cycling short. The cycling short should be worn on its own. Most cyclists have had bum issues somewhere along the line.

Goodluck! 

I agree with this
Change your saddle before considering new shorts.

My wife and her cycling group have been circulating articles lately:

https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/the-rouleur-journal/the-v-word

https://duracellbunnyonabike.com/2018/12/28/flipping-flapmash/

https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/desire-journal/how-specialized-s-mimic-technology-has-changed-the-game-for-women-s-saddles

19 minutes ago, RiverInTheRoad said:

My recommendation would be to start with changing your saddle. 

Goodluck! 

You want your weight to be on your 'sit bones' not the 'soft tissue' in between.

http://cyclingsisters.blogspot.com/2009/05/assometer.html

For men: what is the best saddle/seat to protect your "Johnson" - Page 2 -  Technical Q&A - Bike Hub

Otherwise, some fancier bike shops have a saddle pressure mapping device to help you choose the shape of saddle that suits you.

https://gebiomized.de/en/products/measurement/gp-bike/

https://www.cyclologic.com/news/2018/2/7/saddle-pressure-technology-a-message-to-both-riders-and-fitters

before-after.JPG

1 hour ago, Spinnekop said:

As stated above:

1. Get a saddle fit done.......figure out sitbone width and get the correct saddle
  2. Bibs - My wife has had good fortune with Ciovita and Assos (Although very expensive)

Best of luck!

As he said! 

2 minutes ago, 117 said:

Funny... 🤣

Its all male replies to a female question 

There are a very very limited number of women who hang around on here long enough to put up with the boys club bravado and knowingness.....

OP, your best bet in getting replies from females is to contact the female ride groups. Your avatar doesn't say where you are from but I know Cape Town has the Trail Angels and Biking the 'Bosch in Stellies. 

I'm sure there is a wealth of knowledge amongst the girls who ride bikes more than they talk about riding bikes!

To be fair though the info above is what I told/did for my wife and she seems to be ok 😉

Ditto on a good saddle of the correct width. Ciovita cycling shorts work best for me but the one thing nobody is mentioning is chamois cream. Liberal doses of something like Ass Magic or even milking cream on the chamois (grim as it may feel when you put your shorts on) will help prevent a lot of soft tissue discomfort. 

As a lady, good advice is provided as above. Bike fit, saddle fit, find bibs that work for you and chamois cream (I apply mine onto myself rather than directly on the shorts as I find I can better target the problem areas which tend to chafe).

I struggled a lot with pain in that area recently and found that the Specialized Power with Mimic was a life-changer, however the choice of saddle is very individual and you may have to try a few (some shops will let you try before you buy) before you find your "glass slipper". I have found Ciovita's Corsa bibs to be very comfortable and they have a zip at the back to make bathroom breaks easier. They are reasonably priced although not extremely durable for high annual mileage riders, but from your description of your riding, this shouldn't be a factor (yet!). I used to buy First Ascent shorts routinely and rode several pairs to extinction over years, however the quality has declined steeply and now I don't know anyone who has bought a pair and found them comfortable. My last pair also fell apart after only a few months. 

Unfortunately, there is also a large component of TITS (time in the saddle) needed to get comfortable on the bike, even after all the above are correct. Good luck and don't give up.

I can only concur with the good advice given.  

A ladies saddle made a difference when I first started riding, much comfier.  An absolute must have. 

Regarding Frist Ascent  shorts, I bought one pair but was not happy with the chamois after a few washes and never bought again. I  prefer baggies to bibs but that is just a personal preference. I tend to use Fox baggies with the removable inner short  and have done a few 5 to 6 hour rides (when I used to be fit not now 😆 ) in them with no problems.  The outer shorts do fade quite quickly is my only slight gripe. They are quite reasonable about R1200 to R1600.  

Chamois cream I also use, especially if the trail is one that I am off and on the saddle quite a bit with descents etc.  As stated above apply to your body directly.  For me I like  FIT chamois cream but they are all pretty good. 

Don't wear underwear as it can cause chafing.

Hope it gets easier for you and you really start to enjoy  your rides. 

PS Sorry OP forgot to add that I am female :)

Edited by Red Robin

Yip, like the ladies and gents have said, saddle and bike fit makes the biggest difference. And then I find shorts with less padding (rather than thick padding) are more comfortable. And don't forget the cream.

Here's an interesting article re saddles for "innies" or "outies". The shape at the front of the saddle matters 😉https://totalwomenscycling.com/fitness/cobb-saddles-ask-innie-outie

female rider here - Any short / bib with the padding of a a sealy posturepedic mattress will result in pain and misery as it adds way to much pressure on your autobiography. I bought minimalist shorts (pancake like padding) and problem was immediately solved - use them for my Saturday rides and Ciovita (their padding is thicker but not threatening) for the Sunday rides to show some tlc to my rear. Female specific shorts in this case is a must. Spez Myth saddle - had 2 in the last 7 years and never been happier