Absa Cape Epic 2022

JohanDiv

3 hours ago, DJuice said:

SCR (lekka name) definitely did not let the wrong turn off yesterday influence their racing, although the race for yellow may have been closer.

The local Saffa`s in the Masters, Restonic, leave me in total awe every year.

Would like to see or read an article about a normal day in their lives managing family, work and training. Must be next level commitment from the whole family and probably 4 hours of sleep a day.

How much time did the wrong turn cost them? Love watching them. At the finish interview today the one SCR guy was quite outspoken about another team that "struggled today" had to chuckle.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, love2fly said:

How much time did the wrong turn cost them? Love watching them. At the finish interview today the one SCR guy was quite outspoken about another team that "struggled today" had to chuckle.

Commentators said it cost them 4 minutes.

20 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Commentators said it cost them 4 minutes.

Thanks. Ay.....how tight it would have been. Tomorrow is gonna be....Epic!

21 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Thanks. Ay.....how tight it would have been. Tomorrow is gonna be....Epic!

They have literally lit up this race... since Matt is unlikely (but not impossible) going to take yellow, i hope these okes pull it off on the final day. 

39 minutes ago, babse said:

They have literally lit up this race... since Matt is unlikely (but not impossible) going to take yellow, i hope these okes pull it off on the final day. 

I can't see Matt taking it but you never know.

I'm also rooting for SCR for the win.

22 minutes ago, love2fly said:

I can't see Matt taking it but you never know.

I'm also rooting for SCR for the win.

My heart obviously wants Matt to win it again.  His team mate is good, but just not strong enough to claw back those few minutes.

And then .... it IS always good to see the underdogs bring on the fight.  These two Germans certainly made for a VERY lively race.

Nino .... did he hurt his partner in those first days, trying to make up time for the punctures ?  Some other reason we are not aware of ?  Either way, would have been even nicer to have had a four way battle at the top.

Pro teams pay, in $. ‘Celebs’ don’t get paid, they may have expenses and the like covered, but generally they need to show a media metric and/or a fund raising for a chosen cause.

54 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

My heart obviously wants Matt to win it again.  His team mate is good, but just not strong enough to claw back those few minutes.

And then .... it IS always good to see the underdogs bring on the fight.  These two Germans certainly made for a VERY lively race.

Nino .... did he hurt his partner in those first days, trying to make up time for the punctures ?  Some other reason we are not aware of ?  Either way, would have been even nicer to have had a four way battle at the top.

Yeah Ninos my guy. I think you're right. Either pushed too hard to make up or one of thems hurting. Too many punctures, particularly rear. I'd look at tyre choice or up pressures to help the sealant do its job. I saw a YouTube video of Yannick....maybe due to not being English mother tongue but he said front: 1.2 bar and rear: 1.25. Can't believe that. Video was posted I think 18 March. Could have meant 1.5 rear but they have had too many flats in this and previous ACE. 

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

eeererrmm his team is not the reason they can't close the gap...

Matt is more recovered from his bug but his team mate is also ripping his legs off. Chris is in superb condition and my pick for top step in Petropolis....he is in really good form. Compare his and Matt's intensity for the stage..

11 hours ago, love2fly said:

Yeah Ninos my guy. I think you're right. Either pushed too hard to make up or one of thems hurting. Too many punctures, particularly rear. I'd look at tyre choice or up pressures to help the sealant do its job. I saw a YouTube video of Yannick....maybe due to not being English mother tongue but he said front: 1.2 bar and rear: 1.25. Can't believe that. Video was posted I think 18 March. Could have meant 1.5 rear but they have had too many flats in this and previous ACE. 

Lars came into Epic sick/not fully recovered. Unfortunately he never was fully there or recovered. Obviously the intensity of racing, especially the punctures and chasing didn't help their cause either.....

8 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Matt is more recovered from his bug but his team mate is also ripping his legs off. Chris is in superb condition and my pick for top step in Petropolis....he is in really good form. Compare his and Matt's intensity for the stage..

There are so many dynamics behind the scenes people know nothing about. One can theories, but never(!) know for certain unless you are close to a sportsperson or team.

I would also agree that Matt is the "weaker" rider in this team. He seems to be struggling slightly more. But there are other reasons too

58 minutes ago, mrcg said:

Lars came into Epic sick/not fully recovered. Unfortunately he never was fully there or recovered. Obviously the intensity of racing, especially the punctures and chasing didn't help their cause either.....

I feel for Lars. Like Annika, Nino is a team mate that will push you hard and in their first ACE he really rose to the occasion. 

11 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Bold statement about his recovery from the stomach issue there and what the overall effect is.