Absa Cape Epic 2022

JohanDiv

1 minute ago, _David_ said:

I wonder when it comes to Free-hubs what is better 3 pawl or ratchet? I had the 3 pawl fail on my bike last week.

Good question, would also like to know.  I have DT Swiss 54T star ratchets on both my bikes so that's my only reference, zero issues so far.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Crazy how epic is demanding on components, they are all having issues I've never had in 30 000km over the last 2/3 years, and I'm assuming most would go in a race like this with a fully serviced bike !

I would think that the increase in mechanicals would be due to a couple of factors: a. riding in bunches (i.e. not always being able to choose your lines, following distance, wheels picking op rocks and throwing in front of others), b. fatigue and c. generally just riding faster and harder compared to training and then mistakes happen.

I very seldom have issues when riding alone, but issues seem to be more frequent in races.

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

Crazy how epic is demanding on components, they are all having issues I've never had in 30 000km over the last 2/3 years, and I'm assuming most would go in a race like this with a fully serviced bike !

You'd be surprised how many okes either cut corners on maintenance before the event, or leave a full rebuild to 3 days before when they're tapering so have no time for a shakedown ride to check that everything's working properly.

There's definitely an element of bad luck involved in some of these failures, but there are definitely many that I've seen that could easily be avoided with proper prep and a bit of mechanical sensitivity from the rider.

5 hours ago, bolt67 said:

We are deeply saddened to confirm the death of a race participant at the Cape Epic. During Stage 1, a rider required critical care, was attended to by the medical team and airlifted to a nearby hospital where they received further treatment. Despite best medical efforts, the athlete passed today. We share our greatest sympathies with the family and friends of the rider and will continue to offer them our support as they go through this very difficult time. We thank the medical personnel who provided the rider with continuous medical support and care.

Aaai. When the red helicopter flew over my house on Sunday heading to Lourensford I told my father that it had to be an epic rider. Sadly I was right. 
Conditions were rough on Sunday. 

24 minutes ago, droo said:

You'd be surprised how many okes either cut corners on maintenance before the event, or leave a full rebuild to 3 days before when they're tapering so have no time for a shakedown ride to check that everything's working properly.

There's definitely an element of bad luck involved in some of these failures, but there are definitely many that I've seen that could easily be avoided with proper prep and a bit of mechanical sensitivity from the rider.

lack of proper care of suspension components is a major issue but also the event bike wash were recycled water or bore hole water coupled to excessive amounts of soap that destroys oil additive retention on metal surfaces. This gets into gear cable housings, shifters, destroys chain lube and then the chain is re-lubed with splash lube and the bike is then left to dry in a dust environment

1 hour ago, _David_ said:

I wonder when it comes to Free-hubs what is better 3 pawl or ratchet? I had the 3 pawl fail on my bike last week.

a well maintained one is best. New pawls in a pawl system is probably prudent. Star ractchet is pretty much bullet proof as long as its not a 2020 EXP version.

6 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

lack of proper care of suspension components is a major issue but also the event bike wash were recycled water or bore hole water coupled to excessive amounts of soap that destroys oil additive retention on metal surfaces. This gets into gear cable housings, shifters, destroys chain lube and then the chain is re-lubed with splash lube and the bike is then left to dry in a dust environment

Pressure washers cause massive havoc, I'll agree. I'd sooner lick my drivetrain clean after every stage than hand my bike in to one of those event bike washes.

1 hour ago, droo said:

Pressure washers cause massive havoc, I'll agree. I'd sooner lick my drivetrain clean after every stage than hand my bike in to one of those event bike washes.

I had a friend who told me I'm silly to wash my bike myself rather than handing it in at the bike wash. He also thought that his scraped up stanchions on his rear shock was a warranty issue, and he now believes that a neoprene shock sleeve is the right thing to prevent it from happening to him again. 

We are not friends anymore. 

2 hours ago, droo said:

'Mechanical sensitivity from the rider' ... have to steal that

Overlooked by many a weekend warrior!

42 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

I had a friend who told me I'm silly to wash my bike myself rather than handing it in at the bike wash. He also thought that his scraped up stanchions on his rear shock was a warranty issue, and he now believes that a neoprene shock sleeve is the right thing to prevent it from happening to him again. 

We are not friends anymore. 

You can agree to disagree, just don't send him to your favourite bike shop...

10 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

'Mechanical sensitivity from the rider' ... have to steal that

Overlooked by many a weekend warrior!

When in doubt, rev it out. Or just turn up the tunes till the squeaking stops.

10 hours ago, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

I've been watching everyday. Really nice behind the scenes stuff.

If you have anything specific you want to see from the team or behind the scenes, let me know. we have 3 more videos to make it happen. 

35 minutes ago, badiejb said:

If you have anything specific you want to see from the team or behind the scenes, let me know. we have 3 more videos to make it happen. 

Clearly the days broadcast time is spoken for.

But you must have lots of extra footage of the privateers.

The war stories of those without backup teams ....

Any chance of a "bonus video, or 2" of the other side of the Epic.

11 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Clearly the days broadcast time is spoken for.

But you must have lots of extra footage of the privateers.

The war stories of those without backup teams ....

Any chance of a "bonus video, or 2" of the other side of the Epic.

I totally agree, but in our case (Specialized Racing) with the limited time and focus, we are dedicated to telling the story from inside our camp. I like the idea and will brainstorm to see how we can incorporate this in future. If you have any good ideas, would gladly hear them. 

thank you for the comment. 

16 minutes ago, badiejb said:

I totally agree, but in our case (Specialized Racing) with the limited time and focus, we are dedicated to telling the story from inside our camp. I like the idea and will brainstorm to see how we can incorporate this in future. If you have any good ideas, would gladly hear them. 

thank you for the comment. 

Maybe sell it as an opportunity to provide airtime to the Specialized bikes lower down the field ....:whistling:

I certainly ENJOY the YouTube approach.  This year I am just too busy during the day to even watch on the side ..... but after dinner I sit down and watch about 70% of the days broadcast.