Absa Cape Epic 2022

JohanDiv

1 hour ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Speed Company Racing-Schwalbe Thunder Burt Rear, Racing Ralph Front 

Canyon Northwave- Schwalbe Addix

Specialized - Fast Trak/Renegade

Buff Megamo- Pirelli Scorpion 

Bulls- Scwalbe Big Betty

Note-Nobody in the top 10 used the Maxxis. I know this means nothing to the average man, but to me that means give it a miss. @openminddoes use them though and is happy? 

My understanding is that some riders, probably Nino etc, skim the tread some and/ride special prototypes even lighter than OEM. Nino is one of the GOATS so you can't right off the Maxxis brand just because of some poor decision making. I won't ride any other tyre and have had to buy my 3rd pack of plugs as they dry out from old age. 

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, love2fly said:

Would love to have had a walk around to suss out the various tyres. At the finish it looked like SCR rode quite long travel bikes?

Both riding Fox SC34 (i assume at 120mm)

58 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Don’t get me wrong I also think it was a terrible choice of tyre, but it doesn’t mean that the whole brand is ***, I’ve ridden lots of their tyres over the years, some I found terrible, some I found absolutely amazing. This applies to other brands too, you just have to chose wisely according to how you plan on using them !

Truth! Agreed GIF - Nod Nodding Yes - Discover & Share GIFs

Loved tracking the event this year.

As far Neil’s commentary goes, yes he isn’t as insightful as Gerald and Annika perhaps. However as someone mentioned ‘vanilla’ well yes, because there is also a following outside of regular riders and forum experts. Neil provides a balance for the newer or none rider. 

And yes he does work for the event as staff, so he has other duties on top of the commentary booth. 

7 minutes ago, love2fly said:

My understanding is that some riders, probably Nino etc, skim the tread some and/ride special prototypes even lighter than OEM. Nino is one of the GOATS so you can't right off the Maxxis brand just because of some poor decision making. I won't ride any other tyre and have had to buy my 3rd pack of plugs as they dry out from old age. 

Geez those are good numbers. 

The YouTube feed now has a 6 minutes highlights reel of the final day.

No interviews

Nice insert of when SCR see the time out and know they won.  The dad joins them and the champagne is sprayed.

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

So what’s the next MTB race so that us wannabe’s SCR can reconnect with the reality of how tough a single day marathon race is? 😅 

I'll send you a link. 

Entries go open at 15h00 tomorrow after. 

You can enter for the both of us in the mean time. 😶

11 minutes ago, love2fly said:

How regularly should one replace the plugs ?

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

So what’s the next MTB race so that us wannabe’s SCR can reconnect with the reality of how tough a single day marathon race is? 😅 

Trans Augrabies in mid June is a nice one ....

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

plugs are there to get you home, they are not meant as a permanent fix.

Patch the tire from the inside

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

Don’t get me wrong I also think it was a terrible choice of tyre, but it doesn’t mean that the whole brand is ***, I’ve ridden lots of their tyres over the years, some I found terrible, some I found absolutely amazing. This applies to other brands too, you just have to chose wisely according to how you plan on using them !

Okes making me regret riding Aspens last year at CE. 

Costed me dearly on stage2 as i picked up a nail on witzenberg pass. Last about 2min stopping to plug. Plug lasted for the rest of the week 🙃

1 hour ago, JohanDiv said:

Blood, sweat and tears..it took all of them for me to get across the line. The last two days was the the hardest days I've ever had to endure on a bike.. probably visited the toilet about 30 times in the last 40 hours with a tummy bug(and probably half of the camp as well). Crawled across the line in tears yesterday with only a few minutes to spare..I almost didn't get out of bed yesterday. Completely depleted and I was only able to hold down a meal now an hour ago since Friday. On the plus side, riding at depletion means my legs couldn't put out any power and are actually feeling pretty fresh at the moment.

On top of this my chain snapped 200m after the start this morning..

As if ending up in hospital with accute renal failure after Stage 1 wasn't enough already!

Congratulations!! 

29 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

My point is I seldom need a plug and they dry out from old age....kind of like the rider... 😃 

1 hour ago, JohanDiv said:

Blood, sweat and tears..it took all of them for me to get across the line. The last two days was the the hardest days I've ever had to endure on a bike.. probably visited the toilet about 30 times in the last 40 hours with a tummy bug(and probably half of the camp as well). Crawled across the line in tears yesterday with only a few minutes to spare..I almost didn't get out of bed yesterday. Completely depleted and I was only able to hold down a meal now an hour ago since Friday. On the plus side, riding at depletion means my legs couldn't put out any power and are actually feeling pretty fresh at the moment.

As if ending up in hospital with accute renal failure after Stage 1 wasn't enough already!

Welgedaan, Johan. Rest up well, Bru. Something for the weary soul:

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." 
- Sigmund Freud

2 hours ago, JohanDiv said:

Chamo!!🎉🎉🤛🏼🥇🥇