Shimano or Sram 1x12

Nelson Marais

as already mentioned by some...

You can get up to 11-51 11-speed groupsets for comparatively nothing. If you want, get a 12spd chain then to help iron out some of the setup niggles. slightly narrower chains just always run better in my experience...i've been doing it since 9 speed. Just run one up. I even have a 7 speed chain on my vintage 6 speed bike lol. IT runs quieter and smoother. 

obviously when you get to 12spd you are screwed currently and have to deal with setting up your drivetrain using lasers and microscopes haha. (not really that bad but it is def more finicky the smaller the gaps get between the cogs). and for what?

Bike industry sucks. 10 spd is where the sweet spot was. 

Rode shimano for 20 years, mostly xtr and duraace. Swore sram was an offer from the devil and to be avoided. Now I ride xx1 and forse on my mtb and road respectively.  Will never go back from axs.

That been said, sram are the better group. Shimano are the better breaks. So my advise, go a bit of both.

27 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Chain line and b-gap is the two most important things when setting up 12spd. 

Lots of tears when those two are out. 

and setting those are easy enough if the mechanic is willing to read the instructions

15 minutes ago, MORNE said:

as already mentioned by some...

You can get up to 11-51 11-speed groupsets for comparatively nothing. If you want, get a 12spd chain then to help iron out some of the setup niggles. slightly narrower chains just always run better in my experience...i've been doing it since 9 speed. Just run one up. I even have a 7 speed chain on my vintage 6 speed bike lol. IT runs quieter and smoother. 

obviously when you get to 12spd you are screwed currently and have to deal with setting up your drivetrain using lasers and microscopes haha. (not really that bad but it is def more finicky the smaller the gaps get between the cogs). and for what?

Bike industry sucks. 10 spd is where the sweet spot was. 

very true

4 hours ago, madmarc said:

Many SRAM haters were made because whoever did the installation and setup didn't know what they were doing.

If only it was this simple ..... I WISH !!

Louise at Knipe_Racing is certainly one of the best in the Western Cape.  He did my GX install, and multiple re-adjustments .....

The Scott came with the GX factory installed.  It worked good for the first few months .... then "became finicky" ....  adjust the barrel bolt OUT when you start the ride to get it quiet, adjust the barrel bolt IN on the return trip .... took it to Mark multiple times .....

New equipment.  No crashes.  No abuse.  Just plain finicky ....

Friend has a new bike (actually in today for its first service) .... jip, the sram is noisy ..... will see this weekend if they got it silent, and for how long .....  hurts my eardrums listening to that creaking on a brand new bike.

1x11 Shimano ... 30 minute install at home, and you adjust it ONCE.

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Louise at Knipe_Racing is certainly one of the best in the Western Cape.  He did my GX install, and multiple re-adjustments .....

The Scott came with the GX factory installed.  It worked good for the first few months .... then "became finicky" ....  adjust the barrel bolt OUT when you start the ride to get it quiet, adjust the barrel bolt IN on the return trip .... took it to Mark multiple times .....

Friend has a new bike (actually in today for its first service) .... jip, the sram is noisy ..... will see this weekend if they got it silent, and for how long .....  hurts my eardrums listening to that creaking on a brand new bike.

never had these problems with any bike I've set up with SRAM Eagle 12. There is definitely some mechanic induced install fail somewhere.

is the cable length long enough?

what housing and cable is being used?

what cable housing end caps are used?

are the cable housing ends cut straight?

is the cable routed corrected under the derailleur pinch bolt?

so many many questions

14 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I would hazard the following is the problem

Other than questions raised by DieselnDust above.

Correct chain length ?

Was the B screw adjusted correctly after correct length chain mounted using the red supplied template? I know LBS that don't even have this plastic thingy.

Was the chain then removed and the upper/lower limits set correctly ?

Chain then remounted and adjust using the barrel adjuster to get the right cable tension.

When you say used the barrel adjuster to get rid of the noise is a red flag - If the upper and lower limits are set perfectly there is no reason to micro adjust further. If the alignment is out even 0.25mm on the highest gear, you won't hear anything but it will get worse as it ramps up the cassette to the lowest gear. Then they reset at the highest gear and when it ramps down the same thing happens, the one adjustment will fight the other. The SRAM Exact pull ratio works perfect but needs to start and end at the right position.

BTW I hope there was no inline barrel adjuster fitted, this will just create even more headaches.

If in a budget:

Shimano Deore 12spd.

Of on a slightly less constrained budget:

Shimano Deore 12spd With an XT shifter and a lighter cassette. 

If budget is another man's worry, then I'd get SRAM GX Eagle AXS on a shimano XT cassette and chain. Or XX1 Cassette and chain. Shimano is smoother, xx1 lasts longer. 

Shimano Deore is lighter on the wallet, and shifts very well. A mate of mine remarked the other day that he never hears me shift and never hears my drivetrain. I haven't had to fiddle with it in the year that I've had it. It's a smorgasbord of Deore,SLX and XT. 

Now that deore 12spd is available, there is no reason to buy SRAM SX or NX. 

Would go with the advice DiD posted. 

Besides, you’re likely to have better luck sourcing SRAM currently. SRAM GX Eagle is tops. Although going lower down the scale, my personal preference would lean towards Shimano.

Shimano, Sram...Go for the best deal you can find.  1x11 is cheaper than 1x12.  When I need to replace the parts on my 1x12 groupset, I would probably go for a 1x11.

On my previous bike, I had a 1x10, just as good.  You can ways play with the gear ratio when replacing the chainring.