Reselling on bikehub? Is this normal

BMorrison

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

absolutely, people are free to haggle on a bike price and get it at a bargain and then try to make a quick buck on it...it'a a free market after all...just seems odd on a small biking hub like this..

2 minutes ago, guidodg said:

absolutely, people are free to haggle on a bike price and get it at a bargain and then try to make a quick buck on it...it'a a free market after all...just seems odd on a small biking hub like this..

I know it isn't FB Marketplace, but it is a bit bigger than the Swap Shop down the road from me....

image.png.0e54ee1b46c663b7c151d263db9810e9.png

One of those things that doesn't sit well with me in a 'community' like bikehub but hey its been going on for a very long time and I was once the 'victim' ... haven't sold a bike on here since then, rather sell it amongst people I know

It shouldn't be happening on a community forum, this has happened to me a few times on gumtree where you pass the deal onto the buyer at a "special price" only to see the item appear later the same day at a marked up price.

I get the whole buy and sell routine and okes are making a side hustle but I wouldn't like it on a forum such as this

25 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

One of those things that doesn't sit well with me in a 'community' like bikehub but hey its been going on for a very long time and I was once the 'victim' ... haven't sold a bike on here since then, rather sell it amongst people I know

This ^^^

I remember when this used to be a community and fellow riders were assisted with upgrades at reasonable prices. Nowadays everyone wants to make a quick buck at the expense of others. 

2 hours ago, M L said:

Yes it is.

Who wins? Everyone, because more attention is drawn to a site like Bikehub for buying second hand bikes and components. *I don't distinguish between a more formal reseller like a business with a logo, vs someone who does it as a side-hustle.*

Who loses? The person who tried picking up a massive bargain.

I'd like to think this is what the BH was known for before, but not so much anymore. 

I disagree

There is definitely still a great deal of community and pass the parcel going on.

I know I give away stuff often to other forum users and as a recent example, someone in Joburg is shipping me a tool/applicator to use and ship back in good faith.

As is so often discussed, the forum users make up a small percentage of the overall site users, so there will always be a 'lost in translation' feeling between the classifieds and the Forums. 

The weight of numbers browsing the classifieds is huge. It is not really possible to regulate that without a paywall or cutting off an area of revenue/potential revenue.

The site offers really great trading, safe payment options and the forums still have a small, interactive group that offers value.

18 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I disagree

There is definitely still a great deal of community and pass the parcel going on.

I know I give away stuff often to other forum users and as a recent example, someone in Joburg is shipping me a tool/applicator to use and ship back in good faith.

As is so often discussed, the forum users make up a small percentage of the overall site users, so there will always be a 'lost in translation' feeling between the classifieds and the Forums. 

The weight of numbers browsing the classifieds is huge. It is not really possible to regulate that without a paywall or cutting off an area of revenue/potential revenue.

The site offers really great trading, safe payment options and the forums still have a small, interactive group that offers value.

good for swopping bikeparts for alcohols too haha. 

Hmm...maybe there should be a sub-classifieds where trading is based purely on bartering...no money allowed.  a wonderful place where one can swop a dual sus enduro bike for five cows and 15 chickens.

1 minute ago, MORNE said:

good for swopping bikeparts for alcohols too haha. 

Hmm...maybe there should be a sub-classifieds where trading is based purely on bartering...no money allowed.  a wonderful place where one can swop a dual sus enduro bike for five cows and 15 chickens.

Must be a crappy bike 😜

3 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Must be a crappy bike 😜

hey! I based that figure on current Labola prices of roughly 10k per cow. So 50k and change for a second hand mtb isnt that cheap haha. ok then 6 cows? 15 chickens should cover shipping? Does postnet take chicken as payment?

Edited by MORNE

2 hours ago, Vetplant said:

I know it isn't FB Marketplace, but it is a bit bigger than the Swap Shop down the road from me....

image.png.0e54ee1b46c663b7c151d263db9810e9.png

When it really irks is where the people who profit from these deals do not even contribute. Merely on the platform to bargain hunt. No community participation AT ALL.

I am fully supportive of a free market

Demand vs supply

So reselling at a larger profit doesnt concern me. Even if I lost out on a deal or i was the original seller. I got what I asked and if someone made a bigger score on it then good for them.

Yes it feels like you missed out but so be it

What i do find unethical is if a buyer (who has the intent to resell) deliberately schemes to get the price as low as possible, taking advantage of the sellers "situation" or  a sellers lack of knowledge on a product.

The opposite is also true. Some people really sell sh** on the hub at really questionable prices...

Legal but morally questionable.

One of the downsides of growth - bad for the "old timers" who like a community feel/spirit but great for Matt and the gang who can make a decent living off their passion.