Current Bike Pricing vs. Value

JS Scott

Anyone else freaking out at the current price of bikes right now? Versus the value you get for your hard-earned Rands.

Buying a bike right now is just almost impossible right now for the average Joe, as someone on the inside of a bike shop I've watched over the last two years as the prices of everything (Bikes, Components, Apparel, Accessories etc.) have just sky-rocketed. Bikes in particular though, some of the stuff retailing two years ago, for argument's sake: a Scott Spark 960 with entry level stuff on it (Sram NX/ Shimano Deore Drivetrains etc.) would have retailed for what our current cost price is on the same bike. It's just ridiculous, we all understand that with a lot of manufacturing plants operating at less than full capacity this means that there is an extremely limited availability of Bikes and all their associated components. Pair that with a huge boom in cycling interest and here we sit a few years down the line with what was already a "Rich Man's Sport" now becoming almost an elitist hobby, making it totally unattainable for someone of mediocre means to get into.

What happened to making cycling more inclusive?

Are the manufacturers and distributors to blame? Is it really justifiable to put such an extravagant price tag on everything even remotely bike related? It not only kills the cycling community but your local bike shop as well. Having to take the loss purely because people can't afford most of the products on sale nowadays. How am I supposed to explain to customers why things are so expensive? Being asked every other day to justify the price tag on what used to be such a simple, fun and inclusive sport.

What are your thoughts on this and when this Covid chapter hopefully closes do you think that the price of things will come down again? Just a frustrated hubber sharing my thoughts at the moment, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, ouzo said:

actually I need to do this

Good idea. 

Replaced the one bike with a new one and updated the other. Significant value increase on both but at least the premium only went up by R150 in total. 

Back in 2005 I bought a brand new dual suspension bike with XT and decent Fox suspension for R15k. In 2013 another bike with similar components but more travel for R25k. By buying a different frame and a better fork I upgraded my riding experience until 2017 when a frame warranty and a generous offer from Specialized gave me a whole new bike for the same price as my 2005 bike. 

At that time, this effectively my fourth dual suspension bike would have cost R55k retail which I most definitely could not have afforded. I'm not sure what i will do when this one breaks, but I'm busy restoring a motorbike so maybe that's what I'll be riding for fun in a few years time 🙂 

Hence I bought a TI gravel bike with minimal maintenance and my value and enjoyment factor went up while my costs went down - was a good move . Now I spend money on bikepacking gear rather then components - all stuff that increase my enjoyment of the sport 

Edited by Heeldrop

8 minutes ago, Heeldrop said:

Hence I bought a TI gravel bike with minimal maintenance and my value and enjoyment factor went up while my costs went down - was a good move . Now I spend money on bikepacking gear rather then components - all stuff that increase my enjoyment of the sport 

Hoe weet jy iemand was in Paul Roos?

Edited by M L

I've always said that we are our own worst enemies. So long as we keep buying then the bike industry will keep pushing the prices.

It's out of control at the moment and I don't know how I'm meant to buy proper bikes for my kids when they want to start racing one day.

57 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Built my bike for Rxx,xxx 2 years ago. 

Updated my insurance with the recent spate of robberies in Centurion and I fell off my chair to see how much the replacement value increased by. 

Like ouzo said, it is shocking everywhere unfortunately. 

Bought my bike in February 2020.  24 months later I updated my insurance .... current replacement value 67% more than when I bought it !! 

I've been saying this for a while... The sport has just gone crazy... Particularly all things mtb related which generally attracts more wear and tear etc.

I've had a similar experience as mentioned above with warranties and I'm therefore on a dual sus with a decent spec that I definitely would not be able to replace on today's value. The bike is 7 years old and my intent is keep her for as long as possible.

Same goes with the road bike.

If you ever consider selling your bicycle for whatever reason, think very carefully because your re-entry back in the market will hit your pocket in a big way.

Covid and the issues surrounding it have created a perfect storm for the whole value chain where manufacturing is concerned. Supply vs Demand, and just exactly why should supply be increased when Demand keeps on paying what is demanded, whether fair or not......

59 minutes ago, KingZA said:

I've always said that we are our own worst enemies. So long as we keep buying then the bike industry will keep pushing the prices.

It's out of control at the moment and I don't know how I'm meant to buy proper bikes for my kids when they want to start racing one day.

#savetherimbrake

3 hours ago, M L said:

Hoe weet jy iemand was in Paul Roos?

Hy sal jou vertel.  What are the chances that someone did just that today?  

Of course, he added that Johan Rupert and Jannie Durand  and GT Ferreira were fellow old boys.

Customers ? 

So you're on the inside then too

You should have a decent understanding of where the prices are coming from 

Biggest two are the rand that's worth dog sh#t and Supply chain shortages that cannot be caught up (supply/demand is a mofo)