Ebike on sani2c

Kwagga van Zyl

1 hour ago, throttles said:

So all this ebike talk made me curious..

maybe I should get one to try out..

unfortunately I love all my limbs and organs..

1F88E924-29BF-43AC-A4A2-355315665B56.jpeg

For R200k

I can buy 2 scramblers or quad bikes for me and my boys.

I’ll just use more energy using my “Chevrolegs” and get some toys for the family..

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scary thought ....

E.bikers actually practicing their batteries in preparation of an upcoming race ...😬

As for blasting past others on the uphills ... nope .... the view was wayyy toooo nice...

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Scary thought ....

E.bikers actually practicing their batteries in preparation of an upcoming race ...😬

As for blasting past others on the uphills ... nope .... the view was wayyy toooo nice...

Lekker ride @ChrisF nice elevation..

what was the charge level before and after the ride 😬

2 minutes ago, throttles said:

Lekker ride @ChrisF nice elevation..

what was the charge level before and after the ride 😬

At a guess .... think I used about 600W.h.

I knew I would not get home on the first 500W.h battery, so I swopped out when it had about 25% left.

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

At a guess .... think I used about 600W.h.

I knew I would not get home on the first 500W.h battery, so I swopped out when it had about 25% left.

👀 😰

5 minutes ago, throttles said:

👀 😰

That is obviously a LOT worse than most out there .... 

But for me that is about 10 to 15% better over the last 24 months, in terms of range .... also at a faster pace.

Most importantly .... better recovery rate.

I was nursing my ITB today (pushed too hard on the IDT last week) .... need some more time on the mat with the core and knee exercises ....

All good.  Still beats sitting at home moping about a bust knee ....

20 hours ago, throttles said:

Any of the ebikers want to share what their batteries conquered today? 😬

Now that we've had torrential rainfall in KZN it is worth noting that ebikes do have some Achilles heels (sic). They definitely do not like water (and are heavy) so prolonged deepish water crossings and heavy rains spell ebike disaster in these scenarios which are just unpleasant for a push bike.  If Sani had been a week or so later there would be many, many tales of woe across the field. 

10 hours ago, mazambaan said:

Now that we've had torrential rainfall in KZN it is worth noting that ebikes do have some Achilles heels (sic). They definitely do not like water (and are heavy) so prolonged deepish water crossings and heavy rains spell ebike disaster in these scenarios which are just unpleasant for a push bike.  If Sani had been a week or so later there would be many, many tales of woe across the field. 

soaking the bike under water isn't great but splashing or rain or wet trails are no problem at all for them

and the problem isn't even the battery or motor shorting out , its the tips of the connections getting loose or not making proper contact 

ebikes or atleast their guts are built robust as hell  

On 5/18/2022 at 10:18 AM, DuncanDoughnuts said:

The eBikes will eventually catch you on hill and pass you. 

What I would love to see is mass start ..but then ebikers peel of on a more challenging route ... bigger climbs ... more rocks and roots and janky as **** downhills ... then join again towards the finish ... 

That would be living the dream. 

You should ride your own events then, problem solved 👍🏻

19 hours ago, BaGearA said:

soaking the bike under water isn't great but splashing or rain or wet trails are no problem at all for them

and the problem isn't even the battery or motor shorting out , its the tips of the connections getting loose or not making proper contact 

ebikes or atleast their guts are built robust as hell  

True (mine has been on the rack during rain with no ill effects) but a few days ago I did see the local bike shop trying to resuscitate a display unit that had got wet in heavy rain and was switching the bike off (no success, new unit had to be ordered). Over zealous washing will do something similar but usually a drying out and squirt of contact cleaner brings life back. At the Sani before this latest one an old stager from Underberg dropped his ebike in one of the river crossings. Game over.

22 hours ago, mazambaan said:

Is this based on fact. 

E-bikes dont like water.

I though the water level is an issue for e-bikes and normal bikes.

Have yet to read that normal bikes can go where e-bikes cant.

Thought it was the same for both.