Ebike on sani2c

Kwagga van Zyl

😂 this thread reminds me so much of the roadies in mtb events threads from back on the day. Fast on the uphills, slow on the downhills, no technical ability, poor etiquette. 

I’ve not ridden an even in SA since 2016 Sani, but I do seem to recall that there were always idiots at events, regardless of what they were riding. 

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Counter point.

I am lazy and unfit but have fairly good technical skills. I ride a human powered bike.

In my younger days, when I still did events, I would get passed by the entire field on the uphill, and then ride like an idiot on the technical stuff, scaring the daylights out of the guys I passed in dangerous over-taking manoeuvres.

I am certain I caused more trail damage with my cool roosts and late braking than most ebike riders cause now.

Chops will be chops regardless of what they ride.

Thankfully, I have matured and have almost become a lekker oke now.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:03 AM, Eldron said:

I still don't understand ebikes.

You really are a slow/stubborn learner. They're here, everyone else has moved on long time ago rather working on how to accommodate them.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:03 AM, _David_ said:

lol, not a new problem saw this on the Sani2C website:

The most admirable ebikers are the ones who nobody notices in a group. Somehow, they manage to ride harmoniously among normal bikers without drawing attention to themselves. If every ebike rider aspired to this, there would be no animosity between classic bikers and ebikers. 

all those points are really well thought out. Maybe a separate section at the end of race briefing just for ebikers and schoolmaster the salient points to the riders. This is basically the same gripe as circa 2005 when roadies started coming to the burgeoning mtb events scene. No problems VO2 maxng the climbs but didn't really have the technical skills so messy leapfrog was irritating for everyone.

At the end of the day the "don't be a ****, be lekker" philosophy will keep everyone smiles up.

I wonder if this same post would of been created if a guy on a normal bike had caused the same  issues in the race? 

But just because the guy happen to be on a ebike, it's a ebike thing ...

I have always been slow on climbs, but always catch those same people who passed me on the climb on the downs ... (So does that make them chops cause they are slow on technical trails?) should I start a thread about that ? 

It happens all the time ... the fact the guy was on a ebike is being single out I think. 

Just my opinion... 

Edited by DuncanDoughnuts
spelling

9 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

You really are a slow/stubborn learner. They're here, everyone else has moved on long time ago rather working on how to accommodate them.

The vast majority of people at Sani2c were riding regular bikes so the facts would suggest that the majority of people riding Sani2c have not moved on at all.

And please don't go the medical, cargo, fun, ride together, no shuttle required route again. Everybody and their uncle who had a heart attack agrees there are fantastic reasons for ebikes.

8 minutes ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

I wonder if this same post would of been created if a guy on a normal bike had caused the same  issues in the race? 

But just because the guy happen to be on a ebike, it's a ebike thing ...

I have always been slow on climbs, but always catch those same people who passed me on the climb on the downs ... (So does that make them chops cause they are slow on technical trails?) should I start a thread about that ? 

It happens all the time ... the fact the guy was on a ebike is being single out I think. 

Just my opinion... 

Back in the days when 29ers were still called wagon wheels and many users here were saying they will never catch on, the XCM scene boomed. 

The biggest gripes were 'not enough single track' followed by 'fit guys who smash the jeep track then hold you up in the single track' 

These popped up as frequently as how bad the route marking was and how terrible the seeding is, followed by 3 month out predicted weather discussions.

Since then the 26er has almost died, the industry has offered us an entirely new bike wheel size which has also nearly dedded, the 29er has become the industry standard and people are still griping about other trail users having no trail etiquette, bad route markings and terrible seedings....

The more things change the more they stay the same....

Look I subscribe to the fact that everyone has varied needs, skill level, experience (Life + Bike).

If you feel you want to partake, good on you.. Lets evangelize the sport.. Stay within the group that you're seeded in to match your skill/experience. If you're stronger than your group chase the group ahead with caution and not disturb or aggravate you current group that you've been slip streaming.

But let's respect each other.. The "Flying Pigs" are problematic..

We do get some reckless "Classic Riders" but they only strong for so long and when they are fatigued they become more understanding of other and fall in line to the back or middle of the group, sometimes falling to the next group back.

Add a motor to these guys and they are reckless for longer especially the inclines.. 

22 minutes ago, throttles said:

Add a motor to these guys and they are reckless for longer especially the inclines.. 

So it boils down to the person not the bike ...

So a blanket statement ban all ebikes from rides is not called for ... you should be saying ban reckless riders. 

On 5/18/2022 at 9:00 AM, throttles said:

Perhaps have a slightly different route where it's too steep for a normal rider so they can put their ebikes to the test (deviate around a single track area where bottlenecks are expected). this will also be a variance in route profile and distance so at the end of the race you'll see who on ebikes didn't follow the rules and DQ them and also. Charge the ebike guys more to manage the additional marshal/resource costs.

Seed ebikes in an ebike category that makes it difficult for them to "Interfere" with classic riders.

Either later in the day or on a different day altogether.. 

If it's an ebike event then Seed the classic riders later. 

Don't let them mix, they need to be separated..

Why an ebike rider would "race" a classic rider is beyond me..

4 minutes ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

So a blanket statement ban all ebikes from rides is not called for ... you should be saying ban reckless riders. 

It is amazing the different attitudes between countries and people. Over here I have yet to see an ebike at a race - or a hissy fit at a race for that matter....

Commuting is a completely different story - little old ladies on ebikes will race you Death Race style and would probably add cattle prods and Gatling guns if they were legal! Every time you overtake someone who hear their motor whine a little louder.....game on!

In random news - around 70% of my store parcels arrive by electric cargo bike (the other 30% by electric vehicle).

18 hours ago, Pieterlab1 said:

El, let's meet up for a ride and you can see for yourself what these Ebikes are all about.

You might just have some fun.

You just want to kick dirt in his face with your 250w and 80Nm and Magic Mary out back,  dont you??? 🙂 

3 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Every time you overtake someone who hear their motor whine a little louder.....game on!

much the same here as passing a dawdling car whilst on your bike. They seem to get very offended and you normally immediately hear the revs pic up and the car shoot off into the distance. It's so dumb its hilarious. 

26 minutes ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

I said this about 5 pages ago 🙂