Xtr 1x12

Matt006

The answer depends on what and where you ride.

If you're cruising along gravel roads then you likely don't need bigger range.

If you frequently do rides with lots of steep climbs then it's nice having something to make it easier.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I'll never touch their goods again. Has several issues over the years with brakes, cranks, shifters and derailleur. Only the shifters were warranted under duress because they could deny the pages and pages of google hits on Dura Ace Shifters breaking nor XTR Shifter breaking. They flat out denied warranty on a Dura Ace rear derailleur after the jockey pulley cage pivot rusted so badly it jammed up. Yeah that's my fault for buying their &*&%. Never again. I'll go single speed before I spend hard earned cash on S*itmano again.

Sound like you had a **** load of bad luck.  So far (touch wood), I had zero issues with Shitmano.

2 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Did you service it?  Its a very simple task to do.

Of course, even replaced the clutch. It always had a 'dead spot' in it where the derailleur cage could move just enough to cause some bad chain slap. Shimano denied a warranty. 

16 minutes ago, MarcW said:

Of course, even replaced the clutch. It always had a 'dead spot' in it where the derailleur cage could move just enough to cause some bad chain slap. Shimano denied a warranty. 

Had exactly the same. That dead spot. I thought it was just my bike's design that was noisy. It was dead quiet after installing the GX derailleur. 

Also serviced mine multiple times to resolve the issue. The clutch was always grabby regardless of how it was serviced and adjusted. 

30 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I've heard of clutches coming straight out of the factory with zero grease. Shocking for a part that costs R6000.

I am groupset agnostic and truly believe we are spoilt with how good modern drivetrains shift.

That said having an extra thing to service (shimano clutch) pisses me off. Finding the required grease is also not easy. 

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

Where can one buy that special grease, or do you use something else?

That was shimano first excuse not to warranty.

Service intervals are every 3 months on the derailers.

‘Mine broke after 2 months.

Servicing makes no difference ,they just don’t last

43 minutes ago, Andrew Buckley said:

Sounds like don't spend the extra money on XTR.  I have XT and zero issues after a year and a half.  Streets better than my previous SRAM GX.

Andrew

XT is the equivalent of SRAM XO1, so yes, better than GX

11 hours ago, MORNE said:

it’s fine.

Hell i rode 1x32/11-36 on my mtb. Unless you’re an unfit slob or have a heart condition, i cant fathom why you’d need more than a 46T in the back. Even my wife has 46T in the back but hardly ever uses it. And shes a at best a casual cyclist.
 I tell her it’s shameful to use it haha. She just likes the idea that its there.
I ride 1x42/11-42 on my gravel bike and even the 1-1 ratio feels like cheating. 

it’s ok to get out of the saddle every now and then. You wont die 😅

BEEFCA50-F8F2-410C-AD29-17933EB42539.jpeg

Let's say you want to ride from Stellenbosch to Kylemore via Botmaskop.

I don't know the figures and am too lazy to check but that is one hell of a climbing session.

Doing it with a 46T at the back and 32T up front will take legs/low-weight/balls or a combination of the above.

1.) If that leg is only part of a longer ride that lasts 70km then you're in deep crap. If it's part of something like this year's epic then you better brace yourself.

2.) If you're trying to stick to a certain heart rate zone, then forget it.

So for those 2 reasons or unless there's a 1 year shortage of larger cassette's, I'll rather leave my ego out of it and get a larger granny gear.

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Back to the OP

11-45 if you’re strong like Nguni bull

Nevermind and nguni bull, you need to be that 1470kg Bull that was at Nampo

3 hours ago, TheoG said:

Sound like you had a **** load of bad luck.  So far (touch wood), I had zero issues with Shitmano.

Ultegra R6800 crank came apart. it was used for maybe 4months. Known problem. No Warranty because I live , like 80 of the world, at the coast, close to a beach so it my fault they can't buid a crank properly. Load sof videos on YT.

XTM 8000 (?) disc brakes. lever died, no warranty. Replaced with SRAM Guide Ultimate. They worked and I did have an issue with a caliper, warrantied under warranty 4 months out of warranty because it was part of a batch with a known issue.

MTR M965 disc brakes, had to warranty through the Europe distribution centre

Dura Ace shifters and rear derailleur. known problems. One shift warrantied.

Rim brake caliper had a pivot nut crack. Had to fight with them for weeks to get it warrantied. LBS had to step in.

That's not bad luck

4 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

91E6653C-B63F-458B-A51F-20F341619BEA.jpeg.ce15aefd90e33bac55040212924d4595.jpeg

XTR Quality…. less than a year old and not a single scratch on it. Carbon cage split open  

Shitmano refused to warranty it. 

I've got a derailleur in the garage that I never bothered trying to sell after I bought the GX AXS. You can DM me if you are looking for a replacement