Xtr 1x12

Matt006

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You sure its a 12 speed 11-45? To my knowledge thats usually 11 speed ratios, 12 tends to be 10/11-50/51/52.

11-45 is enough though for most of the time, just nice to have that 50t, then you can run a much bigger front chainring, or just granny gear for those times when your legs completely leave you.

Stand corrected, there is a M9100 12 speed 10-45, but is priced at double the price of the M8100 10-51, with a weight saving of 160ish grams seems like the main benefit, at that point id honestly prefer the range.

9 minutes ago, babse said:

Nope. I would want a wider range. 

Silly having 12 gears but no 10t, meaning you'd have to go bigger on front ring but that'll make the 45 even harder. 

No from me 

Agreed.  With 45 tooth big cog at the back you probably can't go bigger than a 32 tooth chain ring (unless you are Nino).  And with a 32 tooth chain ring and an 11 tooth small cog, you are going to be spinning out a lot.  10-51 with a 34 tooth chain ring is imho perfect.

Andrew

it’s fine.

Hell i rode 1x32/11-36 on my mtb. Unless you’re an unfit slob or have a heart condition, i cant fathom why you’d need more than a 46T in the back. Even my wife has 46T in the back but hardly ever uses it. And shes a at best a casual cyclist.
 I tell her it’s shameful to use it haha. She just likes the idea that its there.
I ride 1x42/11-42 on my gravel bike and even the 1-1 ratio feels like cheating. 

it’s ok to get out of the saddle every now and then. You wont die 😅

BEEFCA50-F8F2-410C-AD29-17933EB42539.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

6 hours ago, MORNE said:

it’s fine.

Hell i rode 1x32/11-36 on my mtb. Unless you’re an unfit slob or have a heart condition, i cant fathom why you’d need more than a 46T in the back. Even my wife has 46T in the back but hardly ever uses it. And shes a at best a casual cyclist.
 I tell her it’s shameful to use it haha. She just likes the idea that its there.
I ride 1x42/11-42 on my gravel bike and even the 1-1 ratio feels like cheating. 

it’s ok to get out of the saddle every now and then. You wont die 😅

BEEFCA50-F8F2-410C-AD29-17933EB42539.jpeg

Good luck getting up Iconic with that ratio

Nino switches between 36t and 38t for most races and he's on a 52-10 ....I doubt he touches that 52 

I rode my 34 on 11-42 for long amd had no issues....... whats the point if you spin up the climb so slowly you could walk faster 

You looking at just the xtr cluster or rear derailleur and shifter as well?

just a word if warning.Cluster is brilliant,rear derailers are absolutely sh!t.

Dont take my word for it,just Google “shimano xtr derailer clutch problems “

My clutch broke after 2 months ( don’t expect any warranty from shimano SA)

xtr is supposed to have a 2 year warranty.

just do the research and you’ll change your mind.

just my 2c

I had sram 11-50, it was not wide enough, just going to 10-50 made the world of difference.

11-45 is very narrow. 

I'm using 36 - 10/51 on my "offroad bike" and 38 - 10/51 on my mostly "road bike".

I prefer to have the range for incase you hit a very steep hill.  I hardly use the 51 but like the thought that its there should I need it.

Edited by TheoG

35 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

91E6653C-B63F-458B-A51F-20F341619BEA.jpeg.ce15aefd90e33bac55040212924d4595.jpeg

XTR Quality…. less than a year old and not a single scratch on it. Carbon cage split open  

Shitmano refused to warranty it. 

I'll never touch their goods again. Has several issues over the years with brakes, cranks, shifters and derailleur. Only the shifters were warranted under duress because they could deny the pages and pages of google hits on Dura Ace Shifters breaking nor XTR Shifter breaking. They flat out denied warranty on a Dura Ace rear derailleur after the jockey pulley cage pivot rusted so badly it jammed up. Yeah that's my fault for buying their &*&%. Never again. I'll go single speed before I spend hard earned cash on S*itmano again.

56 minutes ago, stringbean said:

just a word if warning.Cluster is brilliant,rear derailers are absolutely sh!t.

Dont take my word for it,just Google “shimano xtr derailer clutch problems “

The clutch went to hell on my XTR M9100 derailleur after 2 rides!! 

10 minutes ago, MarcW said:

The clutch went to hell on my XTR M9100 derailleur after 2 rides!! 

Did you service it?  Its a very simple task to do.

Edited by TheoG