Xtr 1x12

Matt006

13 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Ultegra R6800 crank came apart. it was used for maybe 4months. Known problem. No Warranty because I live , like 80 of the world, at the coast, close to a beach so it my fault they can't buid a crank properly. Load sof videos on YT.

XTM 8000 (?) disc brakes. lever died, no warranty. Replaced with SRAM Guide Ultimate. They worked and I did have an issue with a caliper, warrantied under warranty 4 months out of warranty because it was part of a batch with a known issue.

MTR M965 disc brakes, had to warranty through the Europe distribution centre

Dura Ace shifters and rear derailleur. known problems. One shift warrantied.

Rim brake caliper had a pivot nut crack. Had to fight with them for weeks to get it warrantied. LBS had to step in.

That's not bad luck

Are you using eTap on the road ?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Are you using eTap on the road ?

not yet,

still my 2015 DA groupset unfortunately :(

1 hour ago, Andrew Buckley said:

Sounds like don't spend the extra money on XTR.  I have XT and zero issues after a year and a half.  Streets better than my previous SRAM GX.

Andrew

Pretty much the same with everything really. Going top end ultimately only factors weight and some arguably smoother performance. But it'll cost a premium, need more maintenance and likely more prone to wear over time and use. 
SLX/Deore are more than good enough. Although the XT shifters are worth dropping the extra budget on, far more functional. 

I've been more than happy with my XT and other than the servicing of the clutch have had no issues. That said, SRAM's GX Eagle really does set the standard in durability and function. 
Moving down the range, overall I'd look at Shimano's Deore and none series before considering SRAM's SX and NX.

2 hours ago, Delarey said:

Where can one buy that special grease, or do you use something else?

I just clean it out with a spray degreaser and dry. Then squirt in some teflon/penetrating oil and pack with a light marine grease. Extends the servicing intervals substantially, at least for me. 
Mo cheaper too. MO!

22 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

not yet,

still my 2015 DA groupset unfortunately :(

Then you'll realise there's no hope, and eTap is just as *** as shimano (actually worse IMO)

Edited by Jbr

Dont the none shimano's, deore, slx, xt and xtr all use the same clutch? How come then there are so many issues on the XTR clutches? 

I run the SLX clutch internals on my 11spd XT (11/46 & 34t Oval) and have no issues what so ever. As for grease, YT recommends any wheel hub type grease will be fine - no need to buy the expensive branded specific style grease

But it makes me wonder though that are the XTR and SLX 12spd issues on the "clutch" systems self born by the pure mechanics of the 12 spd system and by the structual design of the whole thing with less materials. Less material means more flexing in places etc which leads to other issues. 

Cant comment on the warranties though, I run 2nd hand well worn stuff

11sp (XT) for the win though 🔚

27 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Then you'll realise there's no hope, and eTap is just as *** as shimano (actually worse IMO)

Yeah etap to DA mechanical convert

Been a pleasure!!! 

8 minutes ago, babse said:

Yeah etap to DA mechanical convert

Been a pleasure!!! 

whats been the issues with eTap?

2 hours ago, ACE Cycles said:

XT is the equivalent of SRAM XO1, so yes, better than GX

For where it is positioned in the range, yes, but not on price.  Las time I looked, XT was about the same price as GX, maybe even marginally cheaper.

24 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

frequent chaindrops when changing blades, and ultimately I think we had 3 rear derailleurs dying (me, babse and a friend of mine) over something like 1 month, very weird coincidence.

At some point we even had memes sent to us saying SRAM was introducing a new "pay to shift policy", like you were only allowed 1000 shifts per month then you had to pay for extra 🤣🤣🤣

Also for me the fact that the shifters only tell you they are running out of battery about 1km before it dies is very annoying.

On the ultegra I miss the range (from 11spd, no 10 cog !) but it's smoother and shifts faster, and I'm never scared of using my front derailleur in a race. It's just a little sad it doesn't connect to the garmin to check the battery levels or that when the battery dies you have 0 ways to manually change gears (especially front derailleur). At least on eTap you can always go home (swap derailleur batteries, find batteries at the closest shop for the shifter, or use you HR strap or Power meters battery if needed)

Edited by Jbr

22 minutes ago, Jbr said:

frequent chaindrops when changing blades, and ultimately I think we had 3 rear derailleurs dying (me, babse and a friend of mine) over something like 1 month, very weird coincidence.

At some point we even had memes sent to us saying SRAM was introducing a new "pay to shift policy", like you were only allowed 1000 shifts per month then you had to pay for extra 🤣🤣🤣

Also for me the fact that the shifters only tell you they are running out of battery about 1km before it dies is very annoying.

On the ultegra I miss the range (from 11spd, no 10 cog !) but it's smoother and shifts faster, and I'm never scared of using my front derailleur in a race. It's just a little sad it doesn't connect to the garmin to check the battery levels or that when the battery dies you have 0 ways to manually change gears (especially front derailleur). At least on eTap you can always go home (swap derailleur batteries, find batteries at the closest shop for the shifter, or use you HR strap or Power meters battery if needed)

Did you go through this?

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/road/campaigns/troubleshooting-etap-axs-chain-drop

1 hour ago, 117 said:

Dont the none shimano's, deore, slx, xt and xtr all use the same clutch? How come then there are so many issues on the XTR clutches? 

I run the SLX clutch internals on my 11spd XT (11/46 & 34t Oval) and have no issues what so ever. As for grease, YT recommends any wheel hub type grease will be fine - no need to buy the expensive branded specific style grease

But it makes me wonder though that are the XTR and SLX 12spd issues on the "clutch" systems self born by the pure mechanics of the 12 spd system and by the structual design of the whole thing with less materials. Less material means more flexing in places etc which leads to other issues. 

Cant comment on the warranties though, I run 2nd hand well worn stuff

11sp (XT) for the win though 🔚

I had the same issue on my SLX 12spd, had to get it serviced after about a month and I'm a dirt roadie 70% of my milage are on tar roads.

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

not much, its just ****

Hahaha nah I bought a bike with Red Etap (not axs). Shifting was good most of the time but had its moments of chain drop on bump shift.

Then my RD battery started dying waaay quicker than it should. Ended up most rides having to switch batteries and sacrificing FD. Eventually realized RD was killing the battery, and sent it away to CCS. Was told because it more than 2 years old, its probably stuffed and replacement cost of RD is R12k. I eventually got DA9000 mechanical upgrade kit for the same price from a mate. 

Funny how the batteries on this mechanical groupset never die 🤪

2 hours ago, Andrew Buckley said:

For where it is positioned in the range, yes, but not on price.  Las time I looked, XT was about the same price as GX, maybe even marginally cheaper.

My opinion, Shimano make great road groupsets and MTB brakes. SRAM make great MTB Groupsets

18 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

My opinion, Shimano make great road groupsets and MTB brakes. SRAM make great MTB Groupsets

* from XO1 and up lol. And theres the ‘problem’ shimano murders them in thh mid teer. Not everyone has the cash for xtr/x01/xx1. XT ( and lically GX because of coolheat’s ineptitude) is and always will be the working class hero. Dont even mention SX and NX. That crap is not even on the same level as Sensah/box/microshift groupos. And SRAM has nothing for SLX and Deore

Edited by MORNE

14 minutes ago, MORNE said:

* from XO1 and up lol. And theres the ‘problem’ shimano murders them in thh mid teer. Not everyone has the cash for xtr/x01/xx1. XT ( and lically GX because of coolheat’s ineptitude) is and always will be the working class hero. Dont even mention SX and NX. That crap is not even on the same level as Sensah/box/microshift groupos. And SRAM has nothing for SLX and Deore

You're probably right, but when shopping for a great groupset, I don't look at mid teer. Although, I have GX AXS on my gravel bike, lightyears ahead of the Shimano XTR Di2