Post Ride Bill Splits

OVERDRIVE

Just now, ouzo said:

speak to me about this virtual card ?

Banking apps provide the ability to register a virtual card which acts the same as a normal card. I use to buy things online. I bank with Standard Bank and on the app it looks like a normal card, which you can transfer funds to. Its free and no additional bank charges apply. Its a safer alternative to using your actual card for online purchases. Now it can be extended to be used as the card on the phone as well.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

I know you jest but for clarity:

Snapscan requires the vendor to have it…and they take like 3% or something…so it costs more for everybody..so you are actually veing elitist haha.

Apple pay (or whatever androids propably intermittent working version is lol) is not an app. Its just a digital version of your card. Like a digital sim.
As soon as person asks you to ‘tap or insert’, you just unlock your phone and tap it instead. No pins, no R500 limit before pin needed, no fees, no bank authentication through app like some of them do with snapscan. Your phone is in essence your new bank card since you set it up through your bank. Also…no swearing if they have zapper instead of snapscan haha. 

Ps: i still use snapscan when they have a stall and no card machine or some other person is hogging it.

not sure if the brick I use as a cellphone has this facility ..... I do tip really well though for good service/coffee and tip min. 10% for poor service/coffee 

7 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Banking apps provide the ability to register a virtual card which acts the same as a normal card. I use to buy things online. I bank with Standard Bank and on the app it looks like a normal card, which you can transfer funds to. Its free and no additional bank charges apply. Its a safer alternative to using your actual card for online purchases. Now it can be extended to be used as the card on the phone as well.

@ouzo 

@Robbie Stewart is on the money or rather on the Virtual card on this..

Much safe and it was advertised as having more insurance and security for online purchases..

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

Elitist ... "Apple Pay" .. just use Snapscan like the rest of us plebs

Not all places have SnapScan, some use Zapper, MasterPass or GarminPay. 

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

I have both Snapscan and Zapper loaded to mitigate this unfortunate situation.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

GarminPay is the same as tapping your card.

ApplePay followed, so did Samsung, etc .... but all use the NFC functionality of tap to pay.

I tried both Snapscan and Zapper .... but the trailhead had very bad cell reception and could not get it to work ....

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

I have both Snapscan and Zapper loaded to mitigate this unfortunate situation.

Me too, but I prefer just using Apple Pay; so much easier.

edit: except club rides that stop at coffee, then I use the cash I would have collected from a prior coffee-ride purchase.

Edited by Frosty

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I haven't really bothered to read up because my instincts said it's useless, but maybe you know more. How is my physical card different to my virtual card? I can cut up the physical card and still use it virtually until it expires. The card has since day 1 been a physical extension of a virtual concept - the account it allows you to access - and the virtual access has been there for years. What's the big deal about a virtual only card?

17 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

I haven't really bothered to read up because my instincts said it's useless, but maybe you know more. How is my physical card different to my virtual card? I can cut up the physical card and still use it virtually until it expires. The card has since day 1 been a physical extension of a virtual concept - the account it allows you to access - and the virtual access has been there for years. What's the big deal about a virtual only card?

I can transfer funds to the virtual card, limiting the access anyone would potentially get by accessing the card illicitly. That, and the card number and CVV number is different. It's akin to having a complete separate card. One that is in no way attached to the main card, so when shopping online and someone manages to somehow get hold of the virtual card, they do not have further access to the rest of the account. You can then simply transfer funds back to the main account and kill the virtual card and problem solved.

Another benefit is that if you use it as a post ride card by linking it to the phone, its the same as carrying that Leopard in the pocket, except you aren't carrying change when you pay. Then if you lose your phone, you are only risking the funds on the virtual card again, and not your entire account.

I have one as mentioned, but I have not been actively using it for a while, but now that Morne gave his feedback, I'm inclined to link my virtual card to the NFC on my phone and pay that way. This allows me to leave the real cards safely at home.

23 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

My DiscoveryBank card is simply a replica of the physical one; no differences (even the details printed on the card is the same). I think Robbie Stewart is talking about a different option offered by his bank.

4 minutes ago, Frosty said:

My DiscoveryBank card is simply a replica of the physical one; no differences (even the details printed on the card is the same). I think Robbie Stewart is talking about a different option offered by his bank.

Standard Bank's virtual card is effectively an entirely different card to the actual one.

29 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Standard Bank's virtual card is effectively an entirely different card to the actual one.

Your whole description was of a different account to your main account that just happens to not allow a physical card to be linked. The concept of it being a virtual card is arbitrary and the distinction of this account to any other account (if it exists) is unclear to me...

Edited by bleedToWin

Perhaps I've missed it, but the big benefit of the virtual card is that you can cancel it every transaction if you wish.

Want to sign up for a trial and don't want to be charged after? Use a virtual card then cancel it after you've signed up.

You can then immediately create another virtual card and use as needed.

With FNB at least, the virtual card works exactly as a physical card would, except you have the ability to create and cancel cards at will. It just allows an extra layer of security. You can use a virtual card and if you have any reason to suspect fraud/misuse etc, you can cancel it without your entire account being at risk and without needing to then get another physical card

Edited by Trashy

4 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Your whole description was of a different account to your main account that just happens to not allow a physical card to be linked. The concept of it being a virtual card is arbitrary and the distinction of this account to any other account (if it's exists) is unclear to me...

I was "gifted" a virtual card by FNB .... The operator could not explain to me what the benefit is .... apparently some benefits for online purchases, but he certainly was not clear .....  I asked for TWO things:

1. The CANCEL the virtual card, was done immediately

2. send clear details as to what this is, the benefits, etc ..... still waiting ....

I will gladly use it, once I understand its use and benefits ..... but FNB is seriously lacking in their communication, not only on this matter.

A few mandela's and a burner phone. Saves hours of trouble if I get jacked by bike jackers or jackoff's at the bill split coffee stop!