Bee Attack - near Anna Beulah, Contermanskloof

out there

My husband, Guy, was attacked by a swarm of angry 🐝  outside Anna Beulah, Contermanskloof, he was stung more than 100 times! He was assisted by a kind motorist, Mike, who stopped to help - despite having his wife,  who is allergic to bees, in the car. Mike’s quick thinking resulted in him suggesting that my husband jump onto the roof of his car - and Mike out drove the swarm, with my husband clinging to the roof of his Jeep … His wife then gave my husband an antihistamine, which she carries with her.

Shortly afterwards 2 guys, in a bakkie, dressed in bee keeper protective gear, arrived with my husband’s abandoned bike, very apologetic - and offered him another antihistamine…

My husband‘s friend phoned his wife and she brought them and their bikes back to Big Bay, where I met them at the Eden On the Bay medical rooms. The Dr took one look at Guy and referred us to the ER.

Guy was treated at Netcare Blouberg Hospital, with cortisone, two more antihistamine types and fluids etc - after 3 hrs I could take him home. 

The kindness and quick thinking of Mike and his wife, was instrumental in making sure my husband was helped. 

The police arrived and apparently there was another cyclist that needed help, shortly after my husband was helped …

My husband and his friend had ridden past an abandoned bike at the spot where the bees attacked - I hope that cyclist received the help he needed and that his bike has been returned to him.

I would appreciate feedback regarding what went wrong with the bee hives, I’d like to thank Mike and his wife for stopping and helping and to warn other cyclist.

It’s a reminder that it’s safer to not ride alone and as of now, Guy will be riding with antihistamines.

MG

Glad he is okay 👍

When did this happen ?

We went past there on Saturday morning about 9.00

4 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Glad he is okay 👍

When did this happen ?

We went past there on Saturday morning about 9.00

I'm not an expert but my daughter kept a hive as part of a school project and I learned a bit. 

If they are disturbed they will attack if you are unfortunate enough to be close by. Also don't stand in front of a beehive entrance, they don't like that. Each sting leaves a pheromone marker that effectively paints you as a target and the swarm will then keep stinging until you escape or die.

A bee swarm is a very fierce wild animal. Glad he's ok. 

My sense, having anxiously watched my child harvest honey from these creatures, is that it should be done at a time when the bees are relatively docile, dusk and cool weather. In the heat they are very active and more likely to be dangerous.

The smoke also super important in sedating them.

That's a heck of a story. Glad to hear he's okay. 👍

Don't know much about bees or beekeeping either but have heard that the hive can be tetchy when it has been relocated. Haven't a clue if there is any truth in that but the presence of beekeepers suggest they might have something to do with the bee's behaviour on a passerby. 

Many moons ago when I was still a laaitie, our neighbour was out mowing the lawn one fine Saturday when he got stung by a bee. He walked the 10 steps from the lawn inside to the living room where he collapsed and died.

Bees are dangerous, and as I understand it you can develop an allergy between stinging incidents. Best to carry an epi-pen when riding, especially solo.

Glad that your husband is okay, and someone give Mike a Bell's. Hero's don't wear capes, they drive Jeeps.

it happened around 10:30, we were just riding on the tar road right next Anna Beulah entrance going towards the city when the attack happened , just before we saw this abandoned bike on the side of the road.

I kept bees until a few years ago and my experience, whilst limited, lead me to know that if you open a hive when there is not enough honey or flowering plants in the area for the bees to produce honey they get a little touchy! I can only guess that this as well as reduced daylight hours put the bees under stress. Anything that cannot get away will be stung.  Your husband is a very luck man, well done to the people that assisted.

The corridor on Anna Beulah have a number of bee hives.

If you pass through the section after the A frame it is easy to ride right next to the bee hives ....

I make an effort a staying close to the fence ... away from the hives ....

Screenshot_20220614-152109_Connect.jpg.70a90b1028deefabec1112bc8e74bd77.jpg

Screenshot_20220614-152137_Connect.jpg.de605143dbf9b510bdf102db7ba0329a.jpg

Edited by ChrisF

We were at that crossing on our way to Conties when this happened. The farm workers/bee keepers asked us to help take care of the bicycle as they were concerned that it would be stolen if left unattended. I then asked some one that just came from Hoogekraal in his bakkie to pick up the abandoned bike. We actually saw the guy on the jeep's roof. Not sure what happened to the bike?

... wonder if it's the same bee keeper who was moving hives next to the trail on a neighboring farm without smoking or making much attempt to keep the swarm calm. We unknowingly rode into the swarm and 2 of us were hospitalized with over 200 stings each. At the time thought it an unfortunate accident but not so sure anymore.

Guy and the good Samaritan, quite a war story to tell and so glad you got out intact. Also goes to show that there are some truly amazing people out there who will stop and help without having a second thought. 

My father kept bees for many years, but sadly I did not learn it from him. What I do recall though, is that whenever he worked with the bees, he showered beforehand and did it on a cool day, early in the morning. His reason for cleaning himself was that the bees disliked a strong sweaty scent and would be more aggressive if you smelled of perspiration. He also made sure not to have deodorant or aftershave on him because some of those can mimic pheromones and have an effect on the bees. Real or old wives tale? I don't know. But it made me wonder why cyclists, all hot and sweaty, get stung all too often.

Very interesting information here.

I walk my dogs in an area close to home here where there are many hives. The other day I was video'ing one of them as there seemed to be more activity than usual, and paid the price....fortunately just one got me. It did, admittedly, take me by surprise how they came at me. 

No...I won't do that again.