Self defence when cycling (and other sports)

roodie

After I was bikejacked by 4 guys and knifes in the middle of the day on Marine drive  coming of the N1 on a Sat morning 1130 in traffic, I decided it's time to make sure I can at least defend myself. Coming from law enforcement and understanding the consequences of using a gun and the impracticality of it I did some research as a gun is not an option for me.
My conclusion was the following.
There are so many different scenarios that u can find yourself in and the BEST form of defence is to make space between yourself and your attacker as fast as possible. That worked for me on the day and I got away with my life and (lucky enough my bike) 
But if I was a second or 2 later I would have been on top of them and the situation would have looked very different and I had no way of defending myself at all.
Every person is different and from a safety perspective everyone will respond different but I had to arm myself for the possibility that I may well be faced with a knife or a gun.
Ultimately I just wanted some level of safety and also not just a single item or way of defence.
It had to be something that can cause injury and also something I could carry on me comfortably as well as hidden out of site but easy to get to.
So I made myself a defence whip and this gives me some reach in case of a knife attacker and is also "manual" in a sense and failsafe to some extend. It will cause some serious pain when it hit a target.
My second item is a knife and what I realized when they attacked me is that whatever defence I need must be on my body so that if I am on the ground I can access these items
to defend myself in case an attacker is using a weapon like a knife.
I am sharing so that other are also aware ( I know we all are in SA) and in 10 years it's the first time it happened to me,but it did and I know many are not as fortunate and some pay with serious injuries or even death. 
This apply to not just cycle but any outdoors sport or just normal life. 
I also had to think about the reality of using these items and a good idea to practice deploying them in different scenarios. 
I add some pictures for reference. The items are light and the belt I am using is super comfortable and carry both weapons with ease and within reach.

IMG-20220615-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20220615-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20220615-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20220615-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20220615-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20220615-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20220615-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20220615-WA0011.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some great ideas there...

I also thought of a whip/shambok tied on to the bike for quicker access. Pepper spray in the back right pocket, but to be used with the wind behind you so you don't get blow-back.

Your knife has quite a thin handle. I trust that it wont twist in the hand.

I have thought about a telescopic baton. Problem is they normally rattle and that would drive me nuts.

There's a fine line between brave and stupid, and I reckon anyone who decided you're an easy target is probably on the wrong side of it.

That's a pretty solid looking solution. Shout when you start taking orders.

After having sort of studied an number of incidents that happened a few years ago especially the ones in the Helderberg/Stellenbosch region I came to the conclusion that any form of defence you may carry is actually false security and sometimes more of a danger to yourself.

It just happens to quick and unexpectedly. They use the element of surprise.

The worst thing you can do is carry a firearm and the "best" is to carry peppers pray (the jet stream one) attached with velcro to your chest where you can grab it (not from under clothing) and the chances of being able to use it is slim.

You have to be PARAAT - be aware of your surroundings ALL the time and take precautionary action well before the time when you still can. Turn around if you can and don't CONFRONT. Get out away from the situation.

(The items you have there you could not use effectively and safely)

Edited by porqui

2 hours ago, RobbyB said:

Some great ideas there...

I also thought of a whip/shambok tied on to the bike for quicker access. Pepper spray in the back right pocket, but to be used with the wind behind you so you don't get blow-back.

Your knife has quite a thin handle. I trust that it wont twist in the hand.

I prefer a shorter fatter dagger type but will get later it's to cause damage not kill and a last last resort if not other options 

32 minutes ago, porqui said:

After having sort of studied an number of incidents that happened a few years ago especially the ones in the Helderberg/Stellenbosch region I came to the conclusion that any form of defence you may carry is actually false security and sometimes more of a danger to yourself.

It just happens to quick and unexpectedly. They use the element of surprise.

The worst thing you can do is carry a firearm and the "best" is to carry peppers pray (the jet stream one) attached with velcro to your chest where you can grab it (not from under clothing) and the chances of being able to use it is slim.

You have to be PARAAT - be aware of your surroundings ALL the time and take precautionary action well before the time when you still can. Turn around if you can and don't CONFRONT. Get out away from the situation.

(The items you have there you could not use effectively and safely)

What saved me was I saw their body language then got off my bike in time and through it towards them and ran the opposite direction..So my first two lines of defence worked out well..I would only as a last resort and when presented with no other options use weapons of any kind. de escelate get away BUt when no other option and my life is on the line I will use what I have and do what I need to defend myself. I promise u those weapons work and I can use.them.

Edited by roodie

1 hour ago, droo said:

There's a fine line between brave and stupid, and I reckon anyone who decided you're an easy target is probably on the wrong side of it.

That's a pretty solid looking solution. Shout when you start taking orders.

I have made a few already expected some interest send me  a DM if u want a whip - the other items are off the shelve 

Maintaining a distance is key for sure. You don’t want to be in a position to have to use anything, ever. Period. But alas, we do live in South Africa. 

My fear would also be that the weapons you carry might potentially aggravate the assailants and even be used on you. 

My priorities in these situations are as follows:

1. Cycle in areas which are known to be safe.

2. Always be ready, even though the area is known as a safe one.

3. Hand over everything that the assailants want as quick as possible and get the hell out of there as soon as possible. Do not threaten them. Do not let them close the distance on you. My view is that mostly they are looking to make a quick buck from an easy victim and they are probably after your goods, not your life (I know there are exceptions). 

4. As a very last resort, if 1-3 did not get you out of harms way, have something that will enable you to do no.3 and get the hell out of there. Pepper spray can provide the window of opportunity and a knife may help you in life or death situation. I will however not carry a knife for reasons mentioned. 

These things are tricky in that no one situation is the same, so incredibly difficult to have a blanket approach for every scenario. So many variables at play… 

It sucks that we live in a place where it is necessary to talk about these things. I pray that you may never need to use any of those, but if you do, I pray that it will have the necessary effect to get you out of there safe.

2 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

I do love the accessories for the little 9mm short 42. 

It's proven to stop them from being able to try and hurt someone again, or so they say 😂

s-l400 (1).jpg

s-l400.jpg

In your back pocket?

1 hour ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Well let's try it you bring the bat I'll bring the gun. 😂

I don't carry a gun, I am a small business owner I have enough frustration and rage to get rid of. 🙃

Sad thing is that the baseball bat has hit you before you realize it is even there. This was the modus operandi in a number of incidents in Stellenbosch. And they were visible from a distance.

Edited by porqui

I'm not suggesting this as a means of self defense, but just to share a small anecdote. A couple of years ago I was riding alone and out of the blue this guy comes running out of the bushes of an open veld, straight towards me with a big stick in hand, shouting and hitting the stick on the ground. I got a big fright expecting to be attacked. In the moment and without much thought, I pulled out my Sahmurai bar end and was going to stab him with it. When he reached me he suddenly stopped and walked back into the veld muttering something to himself. I realised a couple of things at that point:

1 - the oke was mentally ill

2 - a Sahmurai tubeless repair kit can potentially be used as more than a tubeless repair kit 

Edited by Nancy Drew