Racist Cyclist Cape Town CBD

weaponx861

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an incident a while back where a SUV close passed me (as in mirror brushes the shirt at about 40kmph). Fueled by adrenaline I caught the vehicle at the next robot and did my little routine where I breathlessly say to the driver "I am a father and please don't risk my life like that...." The driver (a black woman probably 15 years younger than me) said "and what am I" and kept repeating it .... And then I realised that her passenger was recording me on the cell phone and the "what am I" was an attempt to elicit a racist slur from me for social media. 

I suppose I looked like a racial stereotype... A pissed off white mamil who grew up in apartheid years (I was 25 in 1994)The whole scene a caricature of our public zeitgeist in some ways. 

Wow this escalated quicky 

Which brings me to my question.

Has anyone ever had a good outcome when confronting someone’s bad behaviour on the road?

Is there not just further damage, frustration and risk taken on by challenging a person who is clearly not behaving well, nor thinking straight and already demonstrated to be making poor decisions 

While not condoning the attack it would have just being better to 'smile and wave’ rather than pulling over enquire why?   He has already proved his self to be a swearing idiot and has pushed his angry frustrations onto you and gone off as before leaving you traumatised. 

You only have control over your actions, don’t drop to his level but prioritise your good feelings and let idiot's wash past.

Granted this is not for everyone but works for me 

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

I had an incident a while back where a SUV close passed me (as in mirror brushes the shirt at about 40kmph). Fueled by adrenaline I caught the vehicle at the next robot and did my little routine where I breathlessly say to the driver "I am a father and please don't risk my life like that...." The driver (a black woman probably 15 years younger than me) said "and what am I" and kept repeating it .... And then I realised that her passenger was recording me on the cell phone and the "what am I" was an attempt to elicit a racist slur from me for social media. 

I suppose I looked like a racial stereotype... A pissed off white mamil who grew up in apartheid years (I was 25 in 1994)The whole scene a caricature of our public zeitgeist in some ways. 

The real crime here that you cycle so slow that a car passes you at 40km/h

22 minutes ago, Milosh said:

Has anyone ever had a good outcome when confronting someone’s bad behaviour on the road?

Is there not just further damage, frustration and risk taken on by challenging a person who is clearly not behaving well, nor thinking straight and already demonstrated to be making poor decisions 

While not condoning the attack it would have just being better to 'smile and wave’ rather than pulling over enquire why?   He has already proved his self to be a swearing idiot and has pushed his angry frustrations onto you and gone off as before leaving you traumatised. 

You only have control over your actions, don’t drop to his level but prioritise your good feelings and let idiot's wash past.

I agree with this, no confrontation on the road ends with "sorry bro, lets be friends now". No one will admit that they were in the wrong.

We have enough stress with rising petrol prices and no electricity, rather just: sigh, smile and wave....

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

Had this with CF plated Navy guy who pushed me onto the pavement in Simons town.

he had a bro fulll marbles when I told I sacrificed more than he did to fight apartheid because he was a beneficiary while I was standing in front of Caspirs. “ know your place lightly!”

he shouts at me “ you’re a racist “ 

atvthis point it strikes home that were more divided than ever and it will take generations before we’re fixed. 

so I can relate to how you felt and I’m was not classified “white” 

this youngish man’s response is not unique yet no one has had more privilege in the history of South Africa 

44 minutes ago, Milosh said:

Responding to the bold.

yes I have on a few occasions, definitely the I’m sorry response is in the minority but there are people willing to acknowledge they were wrong. One of them was even a Fortjunher driver!!

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

You should of politely said, 'A human being who has no respect for cyclists....' 

23 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Responding to the bold.

yes I have on a few occasions, definitely the I’m sorry response is in the minority but there are people willing to acknowledge they were wrong. One of them was even a Fortjunher driver!!

you should have played the  lotto that day

On 7/1/2022 at 6:37 PM, weaponx861 said:

Just experienced a racial incident with a single speed roady in upper loop street cape Town. It's sad that these days we still experience racism and discrimination even in the cycling fraternity. I didn't get his name or take a pic, I just wanted to get this out there.

As a cyclist participating in both disciplines (road and mountain biking) since 2014 and an active member of the since 2015, I'm appauled by this. I hope that my post will make some sort of difference in how we share space. (incident date 1 July 2022 @18:05).

I work on Bree Street and there are not that many Fixie riders around here so if you want to share any details on this character please share and I'm sure we can figure out who he is.

1 hour ago, ChristiaanSt said:

No one will admit that they were in the wrong.

Here in Paarl I have on numerous occasions had an offending motorist apologise for their bad driving after I've hooted in fright/anger.

Back in Natal I had my life threatened when I flashed someone that tried to drive me off the road.

Edited by Trashy

Quite often I do get a positive response from motorists when I point out to them that they are doing something that poses danger to me on the bike. A lot depends on how pissed off I am when I approach of course.

I believe it's necessary to do it despite how unpleasant it can be. My sig other hates it when she's with and I approach someone in this way. Tells me one day I'll get my block knocked off which may be true. And it won't change the behaviour she tells me which is probably also true.

I rationalise it by saying if you were about to be his victim next time he does this dangerous thing and you knew that last time he did it a mamil might have pointed out to him that it was risky and asked him not to do it again, if the odds were even 1 in a thousand that it would change his behaviour, would you want him to have the conversation? And the answer is "hell yes!".

4 hours ago, Mamil said:

I hope you answered the question with "You're a very bad driver?"

This reminds me of the driver I had the misfortune to encounter blocking a street  doing some kind of unnecessary multi point turn in a very bad spot. The Polo had dark tinted windows so the gender and race of the driver could not be seen.   I hooted loudly and aggressively at which point the drivers window was wound down by a woman who proceeded to call me an f...ing racist or some thing close. 

On 7/4/2022 at 12:42 PM, ouzo said:

ok

I'm wondering... how do these guys who preach not throw insults when / if their rev counter goes into the red?

Ok the Kaapies i can understand with their mountain zen n all, but the rest of the folks cant be that chilled

Its like pulling punches in fight....