Racist Cyclist Cape Town CBD

weaponx861

Just experienced a racial incident with a single speed roady in upper loop street cape Town. It's sad that these days we still experience racism and discrimination even in the cycling fraternity. I didn't get his name or take a pic, I just wanted to get this out there.

As a cyclist participating in both disciplines (road and mountain biking) since 2014 and an active member of the since 2015, I'm appauled by this. I hope that my post will make some sort of difference in how we share space. (incident date 1 July 2022 @18:05).

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, weaponx861 said:

Just experienced a racial incident with a single speed roady in upper loop street cape Town. It's sad that these days we still experience racism and discrimination even in the cycling fraternity. I didn't get his name or take a pic, I just wanted to get this out there.

As a cyclist participating in both disciplines (road and mountain biking) since 2014 and an active member of the since 2015, I'm appauled by this. I hope that my post will make some sort of difference in how we share space. (incident date 1 July 2022 @18:05).

Sorry you had to experience this ... but a %^$^% like that would/could certainly have left his strava on .... I am sure there are people here who can quickly track him down.

2 hours ago, weaponx861 said:

Share your ride with someone who has premium strava. Then check flybuys at the time/location and it will tell you it was.

or get one of the businesses to share their video footage. 

13 hours ago, weaponx861 said:

Fortunately these scumbags make up such a small minority of the greater cycling community. I'm sorry that you were on the receiving end of such an act of hate. Hopefully you can track him down 

"Such an act of hate".

What happened?

Very broad accusation and no details.

There's always 3 sides to every story.

agree that's there three sides to a story, so here's mine. I was driving slowly along Bree Street looking for a parking and the gentleman was riding his fixie behind (directly on my 6). I indicated to go right and he swerved to the left as I went right, he proceeded to swear at me at first. I then said to hold as I'll be right with him. I then parked in a parking bay closer to him to ascertain his reason for using foul language. He said: ' you can't just indicate and go right' (I'm unsure if he is a K53 driving instructor). I asked to him relax and said I am also a cyclist, he then responded in Afrikaans 'ja kyk hoe lyk jy' and used a term I will not use in this forum.

He then rode off, note that I did not mention his race in the original post.

The actual word is irrelevant. He was obviously upset that OP didn't give him in his opinion sufficient warning of turning. Completely ignoring the fact that the cyclist was likely too close to the OPs car to start with. 

So the cyclist is basically blaming others for a situation he himself created. Quite common in our country of zero accountability. 

OP, while I understand your anger, just forget the incident and move on. Racists are everywhere and nothing will change. 

I have experienced this a lot lately. Many angry people out there. 
what do about it?

in my experience there will be a lot of support and condemnation. When it comes down to a hearing or trial witnesses will flip , claim they didn’t hear etc etc.

as someone daisy, they’re everywhere so unless you have clear cut evidence drop it and move on. Been here got this t shirt. You’re welcome to IM me

3 hours ago, Tomik said:

The actual word is irrelevant. He was obviously upset that OP didn't give him in his opinion sufficient warning of turning. Completely ignoring the fact that the cyclist was likely too close to the OPs car to start with. 

So the cyclist is basically blaming others for a situation he himself created. Quite common in our country of zero accountability. 

OP, while I understand your anger, just forget the incident and move on. Racists are everywhere and nothing will change. 

Sounds more like road rage .... of which we see too much.  Going racial during a fit of rage sadly happens way too often.

Even without loadshedding road users are way too angry.

The last two weeks agro seems to be even higher than normal, possibly due to the recent load shedding.

we should stop making excuses for racists, Yes its road rage but this doesn't have to escalate to racism.

They're separate issues that get mixed and then the racism part is played down and made to not exist. It does and it has no place in society. It means that the antogonist has nothing further to offer. Its weak minded and indicative of low morals.

13 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

we should stop making excuses for racists, Yes its road rage but this doesn't have to escalate to racism.

They're separate issues that get mixed and then the racism part is played down and made to not exist. It does and it has no place in society. It means that the antogonist has nothing further to offer. Its weak minded and indicative of low morals.

Agreed, Racism gets downplayed often like this.

Most of the time it's like "he was so upset because of the 'cyclist' he made a racist comment. If it was't for that then he wouldn't have.." I call BS!! Why not just HJB? why must it be racial? 

2 hours ago, throttles said:

Agreed, Racism gets downplayed often like this.

Most of the time it's like "he was so upset because of the 'cyclist' he made a racist comment. If it was't for that then he wouldn't have.." I call BS!! Why not just HJB? why must it be racial? 

Road rage is NOT an excuse for:

- racist remarks

- Gender biased comments ...

- physical violence

- or any of the other forms in which it plays out.

And NO, "playing down" racist remarks (or any of the other socially unacceptable things) because it "started" as a road rage certainly is not acceptable either.

@throttles is spot on with "HJB" when you see red ....