Loadshedding solutions

ChrisF

7 minutes ago, 117 said:

Those air bricks were to keep moisture at bay

You dont see many older houses with rising damp issues as much as you see newer modern houses with damp and no airbricks today. Ask me, I'm busy ordering a few t-shirts 

I dont think the damp is only because of the air bricks. Modern building methods (shortcuts ?) and modern styling of houses is the other cause, in my opinion.

Older houses, when plastered on the outside, the plaster did not go all the way to the ground, there was normally at least 1 bricks height exposed between the plaster and the ground.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

I dont think the damp is only because of the air bricks. Modern building methods (shortcuts ?) and modern styling of houses is the other cause, in my opinion.

Older houses, when plastered on the outside, the plaster did not go all the way to the ground, there was normally at least 1 bricks height exposed between the plaster and the ground.

This^^^
And the bakkie builder brigade know how to cut a corner all too well...
I am quite a fan of watching an Aussie program called the Block. Just cool to see styling and building etc. But I see the regulations they have to follow in that show. A lot of our local builders would be kicked off site in the first week...

6 minutes ago, dave303e said:

This^^^
And the bakkie builder brigade know how to cut a corner all too well...
I am quite a fan of watching an Aussie program called the Block. Just cool to see styling and building etc. But I see the regulations they have to follow in that show. A lot of our local builders would be kicked off site in the first week...

Our regulations are there, just hardly ever enforced. (and that does not only apply to the building industry)

There is supposed to be damp course (black plastic) below the slab level, which also helps with rising damp. Then face brick above the foundation level. Optional would be to have paving sloped away from the house, if the gutters don’t end up in a drain. This all helps keep the water away from the plaster.

I’m now starting to catch gutter water, and release it to the garden when/where needed. Luckily the pump is only a 0.75kW so it doesn’t affect my setup during load shedding.

Being on clay ground, I am starting to see the ground pull away from the house walls. 

The joys of maintenance.

3 hours ago, 117 said:

Those air bricks were to keep moisture at bay

You dont see many older houses with rising damp issues as much as you see newer modern houses with damp and no airbricks today. Ask me, I'm busy ordering a few t-shirts 

And the building regulations are being amended to do away with the cavity wall .... as some areas struglle with ant-nests in the cavity.  No cavity and no air-bricks .... going to be a nightmare to maintain that.

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

And the building regulations are being amended to do away with the cavity wall .... as some areas struglle with ant-nests in the cavity.  No cavity and no air-bricks .... going to be a nightmare to maintain that.

plus the cavity adds a bit on insulation to the outside

51 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

So what about the big hollow block house that build a cavity in to keep it cooler. But also that what you refer to is still in draft. Meaning some pen pushers just wrote it. And the guy on the ground will have an input into what they think. 

51 minutes ago, TheoG said:

@Frosty Did you get the wifi display/control unit for your geyserwise?  How is it working?

I'll get mine when they have stock of both (the one you need and the one I need).
As close as it to the office, I'd prefer to go once.

5 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Surely not in areas like the Western Cape?

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

Surely not in areas like the Western Cape?

One of those idiotic lines that makes its way into the draft regulations.

The very reality of including a line for "one province" into the national regulations was the point of discussion at a recent regulations conference.  THIS is what By-Laws are for ....

Only time will tell if we see it in the next published version.

On 1/20/2023 at 4:43 PM, Frosty said:

I'll get mine when they have stock of both (the one you need and the one I need).
As close as it to the office, I'd prefer to go once.

Thanks @Frosty, appreciated.

On 1/19/2023 at 1:26 PM, DJuice said:

Thanks for the reply 117.

I will have a look at what is possible to implement. There are a few challenges...the garage has direct street access, leaving the garage door open will be disastrous. 

Our prevailing wind is the warm desert wind blowing North/North west into the garage door.

My 2c worth on the subject of ventilation.

I have done a bit of airflow ventilation in my time in basic remote conditions.

A black pipe through the wall from floor to higher than the gutter would create a natural airflow due to hot air rising and pipe getting hot.  Put it opposite the entry point of the outside air air and remember one important factor, air takes the shortest route.  Paint 110/90mm pvc pipe matt black and puta cover 9even a venturi fan on it.  Cover entry with mesh.

Evaporative cooling can also be used effectively in such dry conditions as your.  Hot air rises so you could consider throughflow or opening in the roof (Saw tooth effect)  Use the paper/smoke  method to see how well it works.

As I said, my 2c.