The Coopetto - Bike shop

The Coopetto

10 minutes ago, thebob said:

Take ownership of problems and mistakes and sort the customer out without making a fuss about it. Case in point, my Hyrax needed a new front triangle under warranty. As part of that I had to pay for the labour for the job to be doe and for new AMS frame stickers. The dealer who did the work sold me the bike originally and has been nothing short of excellent in all the work they have done for me since, including several wheel builds. When I got the bike back I found the following issues when I was going over it in my garage. The crank was not installed properly, the flip chip in the shock was in the wrong way round, the torque values on the rear suspension pivot bolts were all over the place, the lower headset cup was not aligned as it had been on the previous frame and the new AMS had oily fingerprints showing though. I contacted the owner of the shop, as I really just wanted the headset cup aligned (my ADD shining through) as I had fixed the other issues and I was prepared to live with the AMS stickers being a bit gungy. He promised to sort out the headset issue and use the problems as a training exercise with his staff. When I picked the bike up, all the AMS stickers had been replaced and the headset was as I wanted it. No arguing, no fuss and no shouting at mechanics in front of customers. Although I was initially very the moer in, the shop did everything they could to recover the situation and make me happy.

exactly this. Stuff ups happen. Its how they get sorted out that differentiate you from others and keep customers coming back. 

I work in a bike shop as a Manager and i have learnt the following:

1. Customer service, customer service and more customer service. A bike shop these days won't last long if it has poor customer service. 

2. DO NOT bulls**t the customer. If we break something we will sort it out no charge, while the customer waits if possible. Own up to your mistakes and learn from them.

3. You can not go wrong with Knowledgeable and experienced  mechanics that are not afraid to fix something that can't or shouldn't be fixed ie. Shimano brake levers. 

4. The customer is always right no matter how wrong they are.

5. If you don't have stock of something or don't sell that item take their details, do your research and get back to them ASAP. Cause more than likely they have gone to 4 other shops first. 

7 minutes ago, DeanWort said:

4. The customer is always right no matter how wrong they are.

wrong. The customer is king, but the customer is not always right.

Dont argue with the customer, but present them with the facts to back you, but also be open to being proven wrong.

1 minute ago, ouzo said:

wrong. The customer is king, but the customer is not always right.

Don't argue with the customer, but present them with the facts to back you, but also be open to being proven wrong. If it was a repair that you know 100% was 

All depends on the situation. 

Make sure you have adequet insurance cover in the event of a break in and your customers bikes get nicked. Perhaps cover this detail on the form that they fill in when they drop their bike off for some work

And encourage the bike owner to be there when you service his/her bike

And have a good clean work station and tool set

And have a good bean to coffee machine

And keep your pricing honest

And dont give family or friends freebies - they must pay like everyone else

And lastly, you're the owner so be present in your own shop. Be proud. Get your hands dirty, wash the bikes, get trained, interact with the customer on whatever level it is - even if it is making them a coffee while the trained mechanics handle the bike

I travel 40km to my LBS. Either I'm an idiot for punishment, or they're good at the basics listed above and in this entire thread

And good luck, its a dog eat dog world out there in the retail game

Hi Timo

Happy to hear that Jacques is staying, without him there would be big trouble, best mechanic in town in my opinion.

Good luck and I'll see you at my next service.

On 8/17/2022 at 3:59 PM, Thebmp said:

Hi Timo

Happy to hear that Jacques is staying, without him there would be big trouble, best mechanic in town in my opinion.

Good luck and I'll see you at my next service.

Thank you, He is super - See you soon. 

4 hours ago, jcza said:

Cycle Gallery no more? 

No, love the name but will change it to my business name The Coopetto. 

Just be yourself Timo... people will come!! Wishing you all the success 

Edited by Paulst12

On 8/17/2022 at 2:41 PM, DeanWort said:

All depends on the situation. 

Well... customers can cause you a lot of problems if you don't tell them that that crankset, tire etc. won't work on their bike. I have seen people with 2.6 tires in a non-boost fork and it was rubbing the crown. This is because a shop was probably too lazy/scared to tell them it wouldn't fit.

So always help the customer, and never let them buy a part that is incompatible with their bike or a piece of gear that won't be right for them (wearing a full face helmet for xc and then they overheat)