The Coopetto - Bike shop

The Coopetto

Hi all, I am taking over an existing bike shop in Parkmore JHB. I wanted to find out You look for in your local bike shop. I know what makes a great shop for me, but we all have our own ideas on what we think a bike shop must offer. Something as simple as coffee, free bike setups, good service, pick-up/drop off service and more. 

Please let me know what you would like to see. 

I'll tell you what happens when I walk into a bike shop: Some guy saunters over and the look in his eye says "what does this old git want to buy in here?" Just asking for some friendly service from someone who knows what he/she is talking about. Of all the bike shops I've been in, Linden Cycles was the only place I enjoyed going to, and I only got good service from three people there, Joneen, Neville and a mechanic called Mike, he was there a good few years back. Sadly I live and work on the other side of town so it's inconvenient to go there. I've tried a good few shops around town and no one else comes close. You did ask!

42 minutes ago, The Coopetto said:

Hi all, I am taking over an existing bike shop in Parkmore JHB. I wanted to find out You look for in your local bike shop. I know what makes a great shop for me, but we all have our own ideas on what we think a bike shop must offer. Something as simple as coffee, free bike setups, good service, pick-up/drop off service and more. 

Please let me know what you would like to see. 

As someone who works as a mechanic in a bikeshop, I can tell you that generosity will be the single biggest thing to get customers to come back. Whether it is something as simple as changing a tube/tire with no labour charge, giving them a free nut or bolt; or something like giving a 5% discount to regular customers, it will help you a lot.

If you also plan to service bikes, then some good mechanics will be crucial. They must know how to work on bikes, but must also be very good at talking to customers and explaining things in a way that is easy to understand. Also consult your customer if any additional problems arise, as opposed to slapping them with a big bill they didn't expect. 

Also keep as wide a selection of parts as you can. If people buy parts from your shop, you get to fit it and charge labour. I all too often see shops not carrying essential stuff like bars, pedals, rims, hubs etc. and it will turn people away if they are wanting to build a bike. 

Establish what kind of store you want to be (high end, affordable, servicing only etc.), if you wish to sell bikes, then carry stock that matches it. For example, don't carry chinese tires and cheap carbon bars in a santa cruz store. I love to drool over anodised parts like Hope, Spank, you name it; so definitely keep some high end parts which lure people in and make your store look good.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helped somewhat

The friendliness, price and sincerity is what got me hooked on Coimbra years ago. I'd say just keep it real with customers, no bs'ery, no foot foot stories, just plain good service, support for the oddball and don't rip people a new one.
It is near my so I'll probably pop by some time. Care to share the address if that is allowed?

Full transparency with clients wrt  what really needs replacing, and not just upselling for a easy buck.

Communication is key.

Treat the 2008 26inch bike customer same as the 2022 ebike R250k bike customer.

If have whatsapp or online presence,  ensure what's on website site is available or advised "held at warehouse etc"

And prompt responses ( to emails -24hrs, whatsapp - same day) if these are options for your your shop

19 hours ago, Dirkitech said:

The friendliness, price and sincerity is what got me hooked on Coimbra years ago. I'd say just keep it real with customers, no bs'ery, no foot foot stories, just plain good service, support for the oddball and don't rip people a new one.
It is near my so I'll probably pop by some time. Care to share the address if that is allowed?

Hi, thank you, appreciate the advice - Address: 55 Twelfth St, Parkmore, Sandton, 2196

Good old fashioned customer service. Treat every person walking through the door as potential returning customer. With so many bike shops out there offering the same products at more or less the same price, customer service is what will make you stand out.

Employ staff that no what they’re talking about. Nothing irritates me more than sales people giving you poor advice just to make a sale. 

Secondly and probably more importantly, if a customer calls or emails you regarding a particular product, please get back to them. There’s nothing worse than telling a customer you’ll get back to them and then just don’t. 

Lastly, don’t get upset if customers want to test the market for prices. At the end of the day, we’re all trying to get the best deal. I personally don’t mind spending more at a particular bike shop if I know the people that are assisting me know what they’re talking about. 

Do the job properly, and know what you're worth.

There are a million online discounters out there who will beat you on price, you need to beat them on knowledge and service. Not everyone will come back, but the ones that do will keep you alive and tell their friends.

Take ownership of problems and mistakes and sort the customer out without making a fuss about it. Case in point, my Hyrax needed a new front triangle under warranty. As part of that I had to pay for the labour for the job to be done and for new AMS frame stickers. The dealer who did the work sold me the bike originally and has been nothing short of excellent in all the work they have done for me since, including several wheel builds. When I got the bike back I found the following issues when I was going over it in my garage. The crank was not installed properly, the flip chip in the shock was in the wrong way round, the torque values on the rear suspension pivot bolts were all over the place, the lower headset cup was not aligned as it had been on the previous frame and the new AMS had oily fingerprints showing though. I contacted the owner of the shop, as I really just wanted the headset cup aligned (my ADD shining through) as I had fixed the other issues and I was prepared to live with the AMS stickers being a bit gungy. He promised to sort out the headset issue and use the problems as a training exercise with his staff. When I picked the bike up, all the AMS stickers had been replaced and the headset was as I wanted it. No arguing, no fuss and no shouting at mechanics in front of customers. Although I was initially very the moer in, the shop did everything they could to recover the situation and make me happy.

Edited by thebob