Rear rotor failure - ever seen this?

CLC5850

Hi there. I had this happen to me and in our group with many kilometers done no one had. The guy who supplied to me said he sees it all the time! I was rather surprised and I wasn't down to steel on steel with my brake pads. So I am interested to know if others have seen it. Cheers

Rotor #3 (1).jpeg

Rotor #1.jpg

Rotor #2.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, CLC5850 said:

Hi there. I had this happen to me and in our group with many kilometers done no one had. The guy who supplied to me said he sees it all the time! I was rather surprised and I wasn't down to steel on steel with my brake pads. So I am interested to know if others have seen it. Cheers

Rotor #3 (1).jpeg

Rotor #1.jpg

Rotor #2.jpg

In my 22 years of riding, I've never seen a rotor break. 

Was it worn down to the point of breaking off? How old is the rotor? How many sets of pads did you go through in the lifetime of this rotor?

Edited by PhilipV

My feeling exactly. Somebody at the Cyclelab workshop said he had which surprised me but one of the others at the store was also gobsmacked at the failure. 

I don't know what the rear rotor make was. I was entrust it to the experts but it had been in for a major service not long ago. 

24 minutes ago, CLC5850 said:

My feeling exactly. Somebody at the Cyclelab workshop said he had which surprised me but one of the others at the store was also gobsmacked at the failure. 

21 minutes ago, CLC5850 said:

I don't know what the rear rotor make was. I was entrust it to the experts but it had been in for a major service not long ago. 

May I assume Cyclelab was your "expert" cycle store who sold this and fitted this rotor for you?

May I also suggest that if you have the same brand rotor on the front, to take it to a real LBS, remove the rotor and replace both the front and rear with a reputable brand rotor.

hey

Is the hub tight? i.e. the wheel can't move from left to right? i'm thinking maybe you braked in a corner and the wheel pushed to one side and that placed some sideways load on the disk which then sheered off.