[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

3 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

I suppose all said and done.......... and putting aside the devil's advocate theme.......

Its a fairly free country.  Enter if you want.  Most average people living in SA will not be able to and I think that is why one or two people are a bit pissy about the entry fee.
Almost ALL our classic one day events in Gauteng (Tshwane Classic has 80% road closure) cost HALF the price of the August.

The guys doing it for love and safety and the awesomeness that is on the day will enjoy it 100%.  It is a truly amazing experience.
Expensive......sure.  Worth it?  I would say yes.  
Would I do it for the 11th time forking out R15k for the weekend?  I cannot.  

Ja but, ja but Spinnekop, jy verstaan nie mooi nie. It is all about that 'consecutivenessness'.

People want to say 'I have done 21 in a row before I am 37' or 'This is my 50th August'.

I might do it next year and then retire from the 'wêreldkampioenskappe'....after my 2nd Argue-st.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, ouzo said:

you make it sound like this is a bad thing

Not a bad thing at all. Kudos to riders that can achieve such milestones.

I just do not get it why you would want to do it 21 consecutive times or for the 50th time.

Maybe do it once or twice and then move on to something different like a Munga or bike packing through the Garden Route with buddies or anything else. 

38 minutes ago, edgarblount said:

Not a bad thing at all. Kudos to riders that can achieve such milestones.

I just do not get it why you would want to do it 21 consecutive times or for the 50th time.

Maybe do it once or twice and then move on to something different like a Munga or bike packing through the Garden Route with buddies or anything else. 

why would you want to ride 109km ? Do the first 1 or 2km and then move on to something different.

Its an achievement, something that not everyone has done.

After our second one my friend and I said lets do 10 of these in a row. We did it. Then decided we wanted to be part of Club 21, because we did not set a time frame we easily missed a race here and there, then we noticed we're getting old(er), so decided to put a time frame to achieve the 21 before we're 50.

We enjoy the day, come rain, wind or heat, we always have fun. It used to be a challenge just to ride the distance, now for me the challenge is to get my time down. 

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Humans suck

Well duh.

Edit: deleted

lets stay positive though😋

Edited by MORNE

Let's get this back on track by laughing at my misfortune and desperation. I write this every year...

I'm one of those guys that would love a sub-3 and I've done a few 100km rides at sub-3 pace, so it's possible. But I'm not really exceptional and I don't train 350km per week, so I need to be in a good bunch and I need the weather to play ball as well. This is how it's gone so far....

2015: Train hard. Fire shortens route.

2016: Just didn't ride it. As I understand, the weather was good.

2017: Train hard. Friend organizes skiing trip with free accommodation and very cheap flights. I skip CTCT and the weather is perfect with something like 1400 sub-3s.

2018: Train hard. On the start line but strong winds cancels the race.

2019: Train hard. Very windy, but not cancelled. Only 141 sub-3s. I limp home at 3:20.

2020: Global pandemic. I decide not to ride

2021: I ride at "fun ride" pace. Best weather since 2017 obviously.

2022: Train hard. It rains for 3 hours straight and I do a 3:11.

Jury's out for 2023. On one hand, training hard seems to bring the bad voodoo. But on the other hand, I'm slowly getting closer. I suspect I will have another go at sub 3 in 2023 but if a plague of locusts descends on cape town on race day please don't blame me.

3 hours ago, NickGM said:

Let's get this back on track by laughing at my misfortune and desperation. I write this every year...

I'm one of those guys that would love a sub-3 and I've done a few 100km rides at sub-3 pace, so it's possible. But I'm not really exceptional and I don't train 350km per week, so I need to be in a good bunch and I need the weather to play ball as well. This is how it's gone so far....

2017: Train hard. Friend organizes skiing trip with free accommodation and very cheap flights. I skip CTCT and the weather is perfect with something like 1400 sub-3s.

2019: Train hard. Very windy, but not cancelled. Only 141 sub-3s. I limp home at 3:20.

Jury's out for 2023. On one hand, training hard seems to bring the bad voodoo. But on the other hand, I'm slowly getting closer. I suspect I will have another go at sub 3 in 2023 but if a plague of locusts descends on cape town on race day please don't blame me.

You can always claim that 2015 sub-3....

On 10/5/2022 at 12:50 PM, Skubarra said:

Something else I remember is that bitching about the CTCT entry fee is an annual tradition on here as old as the hub itself, rivalled only by the complaints about the goodie bag

You forgot about the wind...🌬

7 hours ago, eala said:

Paid my entry for my first attempt since i started cycling 15 years ago .

It is a fabulous ride over a stunningly beautiful route with like-minded fellow riders and very inspiring crowds cheering you on. There is a reason it is one of the premier funrides anywhere and why thousands come from all over the world to ride it. Enjoy!

30 minutes ago, DJR said:

It is a fabulous ride over a stunningly beautiful route with like-minded fellow riders and very inspiring crowds cheering you on. There is a reason it is one of the premier funrides anywhere and why thousands come from all over the world to ride it. Enjoy!

Now that, Sir, is a Friday post.

14 hours ago, NickGM said:

2016 was fantastic as I remember it, I started cycling 4 weeks before the race and I SUFFERED the whole way, but I am told the the weather was good.

2017 was the windy/protests/fire cancelled one.

2018 Was good weather

2019 Was terrible weather.

2020 Was fantastic, almost as good as the weather in 2021, except for the late starters/finishers who had some wind and rain.

2021 Glorious day on the bike

2022 enough said, broke my even years are good weather years theory.

17 hours ago, edgarblount said:

Not a bad thing at all. Kudos to husbands that can achieve such milestones.

I just do not get it why you would want to do your wife 21 consecutive times or for the 50th time.

Maybe do your wife once or twice and then move on to something different like a Platteland Loslappie or orgies through the Garden Route with buddies or anything else. 

makes about as much sense before the edit.

16 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

This is becoming just like the MvdP arrested thread...... Okes passing judgement on other people and weeing on their dreams, aspirations and achievements because they don't align with their own.

Humans suck

Some people like being weed on, don't judge them cos their aspirations don't align with yours...

Agreed on point #2 though, for the most part. There are a few nice ones.

On topic though - I reckon a large part of the reason for the higher entry fees is the massive drop in entries after the cancellation of 2017 (and the BS surrounding the reasons for it). People had paid, prepared, made the pilgrimage down for the weekend only for the event to be canned at the last second. Confidence took a big knock.

The other one is the increased red tape from CoCT around events. It's a massive admin and therefore cost burden, and has caused the price of pretty much all events to go through the roof over the past 2 years. Smaller events can sometimes get away with it by flying under the radar, but something as big as CTCT needs to check all the boxes.