Van der Poel arrested in Oz

OVERDRIVE

5 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Where does he claim this? A few people on this thread have said that, but none of the links have any statements to that effect.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/sep/26/mathieu-van-der-poel-dutch-cyclist-pleads-guilty-to-common-assault-of-girls-on-eve-of-world-championships

image.png.2c1f123c89f8d120d8e637cd26c40479.png

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cycling/cycling-superstar-arrested-in-sydney-after-stoush-with-teens-over-hotel-knock-and-run-prank/news-story/1c6a81e9a8e51af8711ef86f70e8ed9b

Granted, I'm not a huge MvdP fanboy, so I have no horse in this race. But my thinking is it is still a he-said/she-said.

Without security camera footage, I'm leaning towards believing MvdP. He might have grabbed an arm to get them to listen to him. So maybe he touched them. But I will be very surprised if footage came out that he actually "assaulted" them in any way.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

He, and the two girls....

Police gave him his passport back and sent him on his way with a fine.

There is no way in hell the Aussie nanny state will let an adult leave the country that laid hands on two teenage girls.

You don’t know that as fact. None of us know what actually transpired at the station between the parents, Poel and the authorities.

The fact is, an admission of guilt fine was paid. That speaks to itself in just about any state. 

The LIKELY truth is that he lost his rag and did confront the kids, and maybe pushed them without intending to cause harm. Which is what led to the hotel calling the police, because no matter what county you’re in. You’re bound by law to do so, and just common decency really.

Him, the cops and parents etal sat down  and the fines are a net result between everyone. Obviously legal representation are bound to appeal that decision.

Hopefully a lesson has been learned by everyone. And time to move on.

8 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

There is no way in hell the Aussie nanny state will let an adult leave the country that laid hands on two teenage girls.

News reports say he paid and admission of guilt fine. basically, he says he did it, paid for the privilege and went about his day. So, did he do it, or just splash some cash to make it go away? correct answers are 'who knows' and 'yes'

there's 3 versions of the truth, my truth, your truth and THE truth. and a court judgement is no proper measure of any truth.

In primary school, our headmaster said 'believe nothing you hear and only half you see'. We laughed and laughed. Well, I ain't laughing as an adult...

4 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

You don’t know that as fact. None of us know what actually transpired at the station between the parents, Poel and the authorities.

The fact is, an admission of guilt fine was paid. That speaks to itself in just about any state. 

The LIKELY truth is that he lost his rag and did confront the kids, and maybe pushed them without intending to cause harm. Which is what led to the hotel calling the police, because no matter what county you’re in. You’re bound by law to do so, and just common decency really.

Him, the cops and parents etal sat down  and the fines are a net result between everyone. Obviously legal representation are bound to appeal that decision.

Hopefully a lesson has been learned by everyone. And time to move on.

3 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

And of course teenage girls caught in wrong doing never lie….

2 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

News reports say he paid and admission of guilt fine. basically, he says he did it, paid for the privilege and went about his day. So, did he do it, or just splash some cash to make it go away? correct answers are 'who knows' and 'yes'

there's 3 versions of the truth, my truth, your truth and THE truth. and a court judgement is no proper measure of any truth.

In primary school, our headmaster said 'believe nothing you hear and only half you see'. We laughed and laughed. Well, I ain't laughing as an adult...

Fair enough.

I chimed in when it was said that MvdP will have a long think on his flight back about whether he meted out a PK or not. I still think he will not have a long think on that one.

Save to say, IF video emerges of him slapping a child in another country, I'd say throw him to the wolves... ;)

8 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

image.png.2c1f123c89f8d120d8e637cd26c40479.png

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cycling/cycling-superstar-arrested-in-sydney-after-stoush-with-teens-over-hotel-knock-and-run-prank/news-story/1c6a81e9a8e51af8711ef86f70e8ed9b

Granted, I'm not a huge MvdP fanboy, so I have no horse in this race. But my thinking is it is still a he-said/she-said.

Without security camera footage, I'm leaning towards believing MvdP. He might have grabbed an arm to get them to listen to him. So maybe he touched them. But I will be very surprised if footage came out that he actually "assaulted" them in any way.

If there is footage, it’ll be sealed with the involvement of minors. But police and those involved with the case will have seen it. Again, it points to the fines.

All in all it’s an ugly situation which could have been avoided. Joys of hindsight.  A lot of the various forum and online comments leave a lot to be desired though. Especially when people talk about cancel culture.

6 hours ago, Jbr said:

Van baarle said the team was sleeping at the 4th floor, they slept perfectly but MVDP slept at the 7th floor with his girlfriend. Not saying it was his fault at all but he kind of decided to put himself out of the "quiet bubble" organised for him and his team by the hotel and management, and suffered the consequences. To his defense I would probably also very easily lost my temper if someone played that game in the middle of the night if I was racing any race the next day 🤣 

But if he did call hotel management he probably would have been the victim and gotten a couple thousand AUD in his pocket and still raced the weekeend !

Aussies fines are no joke, I remember taking my wife to the most expensive breakfast once in Melbourne, after taking about a minute trying to make sense of the sign next to the parking bay where we decided to park, we realised we mis-understood it completely when we were fined heavily for the 45mins or so that we stayed, so I can only imagine what happens if you mess with an entire floors' sleep in a hotel 🤣

Reason mvdp gave team management for requesting a separate room (he was meant to share with Jan Maas is that he arrived in Oz with a sniffle and did not want to put anyone at risk. He did also get permission for his chicka to sleep in same room as him from NL team. 

By the time he made the request, the floor the team was on was full hence he ended up on a different floor

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

Ja, I am struggling to believe that its gone from Common Assault to a slap on the wrist (and admission of guilt fine).

Nic White ....................................  where the hell was Nic White when this happened 🦨

12 minutes ago, Mook said:

Nic White ....................................  where the hell was Nic White when this happened 🦨

one grazed and elbow the other fell to the ground, sounds like his daughters.

meanwhile they just finished tarting it up

image.png.840bd99292f0c038380571210adf32a1.png