440MTB

Low-Ballers  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Do you low-ball people?

• Yes, always!
    • Nope, I pay asking price!
    • I negotiate fairly!

6 minutes ago, Barry said:

Sorry Mr OP, that bike is not worth the price. Lets break the bike down into parts and see what we get:

1) Frame and shock with all the bits and bobs (headset bearings, BB, Hanger, seat post and seat post clamp) - between 5-7500 

2) Fork - Nothing more than R3500

3) Wheels including the tires R2800

4) NX groupset does not even enter my house for free, I sold a new set excluding the crank for R3000 last month. 

5) Crank - R1200 at a push including the CSIXX ring. 

6) Everything else not mentioned above - R1500 (handlebar, saddle, grips, pedals). 

Total: R6000 (the middle of the range) + R3500 + R2800 + R3000 + R1200 + R1500 = R18 000.00. 

I agree that the market is a bit wacko and stock is an issue and and and. If we take this into consideration and add a few bucks to account for this then I will take the price to between R22 - R25k (& that is being quite generous) 

On this ad you will notice that said seller bought it new for R22990 in 2019: https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/11067/2019-scott-spark-970 

Yours is pretty similar in specs except for the downgrade to NX. 

I do see the problem here: you paid dealer prices and now you are hoping to get dealer price when you're trying to sell. Is the bike so rubbish that you bought it in May only to sell it in October? 

Unfortunately you're going to take a knock on this one. 

O ya, and a second thing: the chain is about 2 links too short. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1 thing I have always felt strongly on with the classified is that if someone is selling a bike for example for 30k and it may be worth 20, its no one else’s business to tell them it’s not worth it unless they ask for info. This was a thing long Ago on the hub. 

my reasoning is that no one knows why they selling it, could be purely cause they want a new bike or that they need to sell it for their daughters cancer treatment. It can be personal. 

My 2c 

This is such a bikehub thread from a noob who decides to exploit a Friday rule, whom does not want answers to his questions but rather a possy to join what seems to be a torch and pitchfork crew. @MM You need to perhaps re-think your approach to an open forum since you seem to like doing name calling and directing defamatory comments to people who seem to differ from your opinion. Then when you seem to have grown tired you ask for the thread to be closed. You are lucky a admin or moderator has not deleted your post along with your account since it seems like you came here here looking for some sort fight but under the disguise of a Friday thread just like the an empty rattle can you refer to.

But hey enjoy the weekend my maat!! 👍👍

I remember the good days on the hub when comments in the  classifieds were a thing, and we had the non-cycling related threads…people were well mannered. 

If someone felt aggrieved, it was brought before the hub on an anonymous basis to determine if there is fault, and if fault was found, then the guilty party would be named and shamed. These days everyone just runs to the hub to complain about something without first seeking advice 

23 hours ago, MM said:

I get how business works, I was not personally attacking them, I admit, it would've been better to use "someone" instead of naming them directly, but it is what it is.

Like I said, the mods can close/delete this thread if they feel the need to do so.

LOL - OP gets quite hysterical, let alone emotional!  Shem, a first lesson for you son - the thread doesn't get locked when you have run out of tantrum.  Stick around, maybe you'll learn something, but its doubtful, given the franticness of every post.  I guess you can't stay away and feel the need to school everyone.  good luck with that vibe, by the way.

Hub should consider "training wheel"  status for newbie posters like MM until they have reached a 100 or so.  This thread smells a lot like the wheel plug thread - may even be the same cat, given the naming and shaming that these cancel-culture noobs want to impose. 

So if I have to respond to all the keyboard warriors here, I won't ever have time to actually go ride again..

To those who want to think I got emotional, or went on a rant, or whatever else the KB peanut gallery seems to think, I could honestly care less.

@PygaSchmyga- I love how you continue to call me names, attack me for whatever you and your KB warrior mentality deem necessary and completely misread into my emotions/demeanor. Maybe @s14phoenix wants to tell you how lucky you are that your account isn't deleted for attacking a new member. But this seems to be a hypocricy with a bunch of school yard laaities. I asked for the thread to be locked as I honestly don't have the time to sit and reply to a bunch of opinionated/arrogant/narrow minded defenders of the internet/2nd hand bike market, it's clear that nothing I say will be subjectively/objectively analyzed as the mind-lockout is engaged and bias towards me for DARING to (apparently) brutally verbally abuse and name and shame the poor oke, and having the blatant audacity to ask a question/state my opinion on a public forum as a lowly peon among the magnificent majesty of the long time/senior members (regardless of my experience/age, etc) was one step too far and it upset the natural balance of the universe, seems to have damn near flipped the polarity of the planet and caused a global cataclysmic event by the way some people here started attacking me.

So to the KB peanut gallery: Think what you will chums, I could honestly care less, your locked-out minds/bias toward anything I say seems to completely overshadow the substantive subject matter/facts of the scenario and your delusional/fictitious views on how I apparently feel or think is quite far from what I actually feel or think...

What I find the most hillarious are the "you attack anyone who disagrees with you and try to rally a mob carrying pitchforks and torches" garbage comments.

You okes seem to take what is said completely the wrong way or out of context... when I was the one who was almost immediately attacked by the band of KB-warriors after daring to step on your mighty swollen heads and egos.

That said, I drove out all the way from Durbanville to Somerset West with the bike today (yes, I'm actually a very friendly, honest and nice guy when I don't have to defend myself against a mob of attackers 🤣).

The bike was sold, a few grand below my asking price, the guy (who has been riding for long himself, as well as his mate who has done the Epic, etc), both were extremely happy/impressed with the immaculate condition of the bike and concurred one will struggle to find something in the same condition for the price, so hate to say it, but I told you so. 😉

Also, to state it again, since the fogged up lenses of some of the KB-clan, seem to have missed where I already admitted I could've anonymously addressed the low-ball topic, and it wasn't a personal, emotional tangent/attack on the person who contacted me, I was actually hoping the person would respond and we can have a civilized, mature discussion about it. Albeit the initial post had some more "snideness/spice" to it, I come from a background where any forum disussions are usually of said nature, so again, here in the eyes of everyone, I do apologize for stepping on toes.

This is my final post to this mob of angry Jack Russels aiming for my heels, and again, a sincere thank you to those who actually had something constructive to add and didn't immediately attempt to disembowel me with a machete.

Happy riding and be safe out there. ❤️

Edited by MM

16 minutes ago, MM said:

So if I have to respond to all the keyboard warriors here, I won't ever have time to actually go ride again..

To those who want to think I got emotional, or went on a rant, or whatever else the KB peanut gallery seems to think, I could honestly care less.

@PygaSchmyga- I asked for the thread to be locked as I honestly don't have the time to sit and reply to a bunch of opinionated/arrogant/narrow minded defenders of the internet/2nd hand bike market, it's clear that nothing I say will be subjectively/objectively analyzed as the mind-lockout is engaged and bias towards me for DARING to (apparently) brutally verbally abuse and name and shame the poor oke, and having the blatant audacity to ask a question/state my opinion on a public forum as a lowly peon among the magnificent majesty of the long time/senior members (regardless of my experience/age, etc) was one step too far and it upset the natural balance of the universe, seems to have damn near flipped the polarity of the planet and caused a global cataclysmic event by the way some people here started attacking me.

So to the KB peanut gallery: Think what you will chums, I could honestly care less, your locked-out minds/bias toward anything I say seems to completely overshadow the substantive subject matter/facts of the scenario and your delusional/fictitious views on how I apparently feel or think is quite far from what I actually feel or think...

What I find the most hillarious are the "you attack anyone who disagrees with you and try to rally a mob carrying pitchforks and torches" garbage comments.

You okes seem to take what is said completely the wrong way or out of context... when I was the one who was almost immediately attacked by the band of KB-warriors after daring to step on your mighty swollen heads and egos.

That said, I drove out all the way from Durbanville to Somerset West with the bike today (yes, I'm actually a very friendly, honest and nice guy when I don't have to defend myself against a mob of attackers 🤣).

The bike was sold, a few grand below my asking price, the guy (who has been riding for long himself, as well as his mate who has done the Epic, etc), both were extremely happy/impressed with the immaculate condition of the bike and concurred one will struggle to find something in the same condition for the price, so hate to say it, but I told you so. 😉

Also, to state it again, since the fogged up lenses of some of the KB-clan, seem to have missed where I already admitted I could've anonymously addressed the low-ball topic, and it wasn't a personal, emotional tangent/attack on the person who contacted me, I was actually hoping the person would respond and we can have a civilized, mature discussion about it. Albeit the initial post had some more "snideness/spice" to it, I come from a background where any forum disussions are usually of said nature, so again, here in the eyes of everyone, I do apologize for stepping on toes.

This is my final post to this mob of angry Jack Russels aiming for my heels, and again, a sincere thank you to those who actually had something constructive to add and didn't immediately attempt to disembowel me with a machete.

TLDR

[edit] I'm sure bitcoin will recover at some point

Edited by PygaSchmyga

5 minutes ago, PygaSchmyga said:

TLDR

Lol - Typical... EFF voter by chance?

You want to stink up the place with nonsensical attacks and namecalling, but don't have the mental capacity to respectfully respond to the counter-comment/argument.

Anyhow, you clearly lack the tact to discuss something in a mature/concise manner, so I guess this will be my last energy I waste you your snotty remarks and unecessary name calling/attacks.

Edited by MM

25 minutes ago, MM said:

@PygaSchmyga- I love how you continue to call me names, attack me for whatever you and your KB warrior mentality deem necessary and completely misread into my emotions/demeanor. Maybe @s14phoenix wants to tell you how lucky you are that your account isn't deleted for attacking a new member. But this seems to be a hypocricy with a bunch of school yard laaities. I asked for the thread to be locked as I honestly don't have the time to sit and reply to a bunch of opinionated/arrogant/narrow minded defenders of the internet/2nd hand bike market, it's clear that nothing I say will be subjectively/objectively analyzed as the mind-lockout is engaged and bias towards me for DARING to (apparently) brutally verbally abuse and name and shame the poor oke, and having the blatant audacity to ask a question/state my opinion on a public forum as a lowly peon among the magnificent majesty of the long time/senior members (regardless of my experience/age, etc) was one step too far and it upset the natural balance of the universe, seems to have damn near flipped the polarity of the planet and caused a global cataclysmic event by the way some people here started attacking me.

At some point early on in this thread I was kind of rooting for you, then things went pear shaped and I had to step back from my previous stance.

It is a well known fact in the cycling industry that one should not necessarily accept the technical knowledge of a rider who has done the Epic.

Do you drama much by the way?

7 minutes ago, MM said:

You want to stink up the place with nonsensical attacks and namecalling, but don't have the mental capacity to respectfully respond to the counter-comment/argument.

Anyhow, you clearly lack the tact to discuss something in a mature/concise manner, so I guess this will be my last energy I waste you your snotty remarks and unecessary name calling/attacks.

okay

9 minutes ago, MM said:

Dude its Sunday ....go do something better 

13 minutes ago, MM said:

Didn’t you say your previous post was going to be your last one?