Tour de France 2024

'Dale

27 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

There's a left to right rule in photography composition. The rule says to compose shots (or position yourself) so that movement is left to right, and if not possible to do so you flip the image afterwards unless there is text in the image. So yeah, they are in gross violation here!

Is that for real? Randomly looked at the TdF account on Instagram and there's a mix of left-to-right and right-to-left: https://www.instagram.com/letourdefrance/

The background and direction the riders are moving determine which side they are coming (or going from), surely?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, mikkelz said:

Is that for real? Randomly looked at the TdF account on Instagram and there's a mix of left-to-right and right-to-left: https://www.instagram.com/letourdefrance/

The background and direction the riders are moving determine which side they are coming (or going from), surely?

In sports photography the first rule is get the shot!
Because (most of us) read left to right we see motion in a static image better when it is also left to right. It's basically a case of all else being equal position yourself so that you can take the shot with LTR movement.

There are rules and guidelines, and it doesn’t mean they will be strictly adhered to. However, you can easily spot the good artists (designers and photographers) from the wannabes, based on their knowledge of the guidelines.

Having the tools doesn’t make one good at their respective job/task. Just ask the photographers, mechanics, designers, coaches, etc., on this forum.

Edited by Frosty

5 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

In sports photography the first rule is get the shot!
Because (most of us) read left to right we see motion in a static image better when it is also left to right. It's basically a case of all else being equal position yourself so that you can take the shot with LTR movement.

The wife does some work for an ex-employer, who is Muslim. It’s considered taboo if you see a person using their left hand to eat, so she’s had to flop photos to show them eating with the right hand, or find another image so the image fits in with the rest of the layout.

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

What I read from that... Campenaerts is DEFINITELY going for the win today.....

PS. Manipulation of the Y-Axis grinds my gears. This scale was selected for dramatic effect. Plot it from Zero and I'm sure it doesn't look as dramatic.

and make the X and Y axis the same scale when doing route profiles as well, same thing. 

To move away from the Pixel Picassos for a bit

With my limited cycling and TdF knowledge I thought that the yellow jersey had mythical power, gives you the strength of 2 men or something?

Much like when you are actually wearing the world champion rainbow jersey chances are you won't win much in that year ... 

Edited by NotSoBigBen

1 hour ago, EddieV said:

I so very much do not want to go to a dark place here ... knowing Van Aert wanted to take the TT, (he probably gave it his all), how does Vingegaard take 2min 51s on Van Aert in 22.4km?

I would have liked Vingegaard to take the TDF, but now it just seems 'ugh'? That uncomfortable feeling that something is not quite right? .....

@EddieV I think many people feel the same. I certainly do.  

1 hour ago, EddieV said:

how does Vingegaard take 2min 51s on Van Aert in 22.4km? 

We don’t know if WvA was going all out. We don’t know if he was pacing the effort for his DS to then see what was possible. They’re on the same team, and could be all focus on ensuring 2020 doesn’t happen again. We will never know.

I’m not defending Jonas at all; my odds were on Pogačar to claw back time.

46 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

With my limited cycling and TdF knowledge I thought that the yellow jersey had mythical power, gives you the strength of 2 men or something?

Much like when you are actually wearing the world champion rainbow jersey chances are you won't win much in that year ... 

His TT reminds me of the final TT Pogacar had to beat Roglic on the penultimate day of the 2020 TdF. It looked unbelievable and no one expected that from him. 

I think the fact that Tadej could not properly drop Jonas have broken his spirits somewhat.

He is for sure not the same guy that did the exact same thing to Primoz Roglic a few years ago.

If he was in that state of mind, I'm sure he would have been a lot closer to Jonas yesterday.

Edit:  Also in hind sight, swapping bikes was a mistake which increased the deficit to Jonas.

Edited by TheoG

Pogačar seemed upbeat when talking (yesterday) about the wet weather predicted for today, but that might change given that I currently see lots of shadows on the road.

1 hour ago, Meezo said:

am i the only one who come back and read the last few pages, confused AF

Gotta keep up man! This thread is speeding up! Because the race is actually over, contrary to what TP might be selling to the media.

1 hour ago, NotSoBigBen said:

All the answers to all things cycling, as well as the future and stability of the sport, all lies in the hands of Lehubland 

16 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I think the fact that Tadej could not properly drop Jonas have broken his spirits somewhat.

He is for sure not the same guy that did the exact same thing to Primoz Roglic a few years ago.

If he was in that state of mind, I'm sure he would have been a lot closer to Jonas yesterday.

Edit:  Also in hind sight, swapping bikes was a mistake which increased the deficit to Jonas.

It would be interesting to know who on the team OK'd this. I think one, maybe 2 others besides TP changed bikes. I think that's a sign of how stupid the idea was. Jonas was going to much faster, even in the TT position.

It really was a masterclass from Jonas on how to perform under pressure. He knew he wasn't the no.1, but the cycling world can no longer deny his prowess.