Canyon: Keep It Simple Stupid...

MORNE

Canyon K.I.S:  Another solution to a problem that doesn't exist? or game changer?

The name (or reference) is kind of ironic in that regard i think, nothing about dampening a bicycle's steering is keeping it simple. 

Admittedly a cool idea, although not a new one when you consider touring bikes, kids bikes and even motorbikes. 

I can see aftermarket things being bolted to stems on toptubes.....

Edit: Have a listen to the parts where they talk about how it tends to pull the rear around almost like rear wheel steering.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/canyon-syntace-kis-self-centring-steering-stabilisation-system/

Syntace-KIS-steering-stabilizer-reimagines-MTB-handling_Liteville-prototype-mousetrap.jpeg

Syntace-KIS-steering-stabilizer-reimagines-MTB-handling_LitevilleCanyon_photo-by-Roo-Fowler.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Canyon K.I.S:  Another solution to a problem that doesn't exist? or game changer?

The name (or reference) is kind of ironic in that regard i think, nothing about dampening a bicycle's steering is keeping it simple. 

Admittedly a cool idea, although not a new one when you consider touring bikes, kids bikes and even motorbikes. 

I can see aftermarket things being bolted to stems on toptubes.....

Edit: Have a listen to the parts where they talk about how it tends to pull the rear around almost like rear wheel steering.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/canyon-syntace-kis-self-centring-steering-stabilisation-system/

Syntace-KIS-steering-stabilizer-reimagines-MTB-handling_Liteville-prototype-mousetrap.jpeg

Syntace-KIS-steering-stabilizer-reimagines-MTB-handling_LitevilleCanyon_photo-by-Roo-Fowler.jpeg

Yaaaaaay I've been waiting for another failure point all my life, this solves that for me. I can't wait to add this to broken top tubes

as mentioned, the idea is not new...so they didn't reinvent the (steering)wheel😁. Just the execution obviously. And yes..as @_David_ mentions....steering dampers on motorbikes are a thing. 

On a kids bike it makes a huge difference to their confidence since the bike basically self corrects their over zealous inputs. My kid's bike has one and he's 2y old so can attest to this. On a loaded tourer its obviously there to dampen inputs with extra weight over the front wheel so functional too i guess. 

This thing is obviously developed as a purely performance based thing, and when you listen to what they say it kind of makes sense i guess. Im just learning how to ride a modern mtb correctly....now we might have to relearn how to steer bicycles haha

image.jpeg.385a9fff96a4cb109a85b5f0e64e0f71.jpeg

Kokua-Like-a-Bike-Jumper-red-Bike-A1262_b_0.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

Im pretty sure this will go on the UCI ban list pretty quick.

They go as far to say this is not for people who want to do bar spins and tricks...although there is a supposed benefit in the air. But what happens wit it if you have one of the crashes where your bars end up turned all the way around and facing the wrong way? Do you snap that nylon dog leash off or overstretch the springs? Maybe it has some sort of clutch. 

Edited by MORNE

8 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Nah. Unless you have only one arm I don't see the benefit. 

I tend to agree.  I just don't see it, but maybe when one ride it .... 🤷‍♂️

Also added weight, for something that might or might not make a huge difference !

I normally like & embrace new tech, but this one I'm going to pass on for the moment, let see where it goes, maybe we all wrong and its the next "dropper post" thing.

50 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Yaaaaaay I've been waiting for another failure point all my life, this solves that for me. I can't wait to add this to broken top tubes

it's springs and cams, no reasons for them to fail.

EDIT : sorry I only read the part about broken top tubes after pressing the send button 🤣

The question is why is this for ? when you move forward your front wheel by default will want to roll straight (relative to the direction you're moving to), what is the point of having a device that forces your bars to go straight relative to your frame ? I have no idea and can't see any benefit to it.

Regarding motorbikes steering dampers, they don't force the front wheel to be straight, they slow down any rotation to the sides to avoid tank slappers as the riders arms are not strong enough NOR fast enough to do it. This device would be completely useless in that case as it has less force than the riders arms.

Edited by Jbr

Wonder if this will make any difference when you travel at 60km/h plus and your bike starts with that annoying speed wobbles or help on a sinkplaat road. 

For someone with one weak arm I guess this will help me alot. 

The Pinkbike reviewer said he found the sensation odd but could get used to it. That said, he wasn't converted. I can understand the thinking but I hate the thought of more complexity on my bike. The PB comments mention slack eBikes and unskilled riders who might need some help form a system like this. Most of us don't.

I see zero use.
Your body position and arms define the turn of the handle bars.

Damping effect, none seeing as the handle bars are still directly attached to the forks. Weak arms mean nothing as you will have to use more force to turn the handle bars.

I only see it as a reverse power steering option.

Unfortunately i think the difference between 400 W of a climber or aggressive descender vs the 200 kW of a super bike make this an overkill with no impact on a cyclist.

Or am i wrong?

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

Im pretty sure this will go on the UCI ban list pretty quick.

They go as far to say this is not for people who want to do bar spins and tricks...although there is a supposed benefit in the air. But what happens wit it if you have one of the crashes where your bars end up turned all the way around and facing the wrong way? Do you snap that nylon dog leash off or overstretch the springs? Maybe it has some sort of clutch. 

According to the article on Bike Radar, it is built to "slip" if a certain amount of pressure is applied to stop it from breaking in those scenarious. You will however need to have it recalibrated after