How to get more cyclists at Road races?

DroppedRider

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I appreciate the bit about the latest generations not wanting to do long endurance events. The attention span is short.

I see it more that there is a balance between a competitive spirit and comfort as well as having other interests that need time too.

The need to 'prove' how tough they are doesn't outweigh the preference to have fun, be competitive and still go out to socialize and enjoy their time off with friends and family.

I know my interest in multi day racing has diminished to close to zero now that I have a young kid whose life I am incredibly involved in. I don't want to go away and sleep in a tent and poop in dirty portaloos, dodge jippoguts and get home wrecked so I struggle to engage with him. 

Looking it from a 'boomer' (insert anything up to GenX) point of view will always give you boomer insights and opinions. 

This kind of goes back to my point about how the 'old bullets' judge those who aren't super dedicated but interested in doing some races and scares them away with their judginess. 

@Frosty I'm not directing this at you, just that by saying 'short attention span' you, as a not latest generation are pushing your not latest generational reasons without really getting the opinion of said generation.

Very little to do with attention span. More to do with the cost of living. 

But some Millennials (born 1981-1995) and pretty much all of Generation Z (born 1996-2010) don’t have the same desire to suffer for hours – and days – on a mountain bike. - Tread Article

This guy is blissfully ignorant.

Edited by M L

2 hours ago, Zeffer said:

Just read that article. Its very on point. but I think the horse has bolted. Stage races have had their peak. The only way to reinvigorate the genre is to innovate and I don;t see a lot of that happening.

Rumour has it the Cape Epic will be re-inventing itself after the 2023 edition....

This should then spark a plethora of lower cost copycats that will still be more expensive than current stage events

22 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

IMO. There's 2 types of bike racer.

1. Casual joes. The behavior around these people has changed. And why wouldn't it? Waking up at 4am to crap in a porta loo and "race" for 4876th place around the saaaaaame old loop of brown scenery around the back of Durbanville with no road closure sucks balls. Cycling is supposed to be fun. That's not fun. Also. The lack of road closure means your chances of being taken out by a car aren't lower. But your chances of being taken out by a fellow cyclist are significantly higher. My wife's broken arm would attest to this.

2. The proper racers. There are races for these guys. I've got a mate who races all the time. League races, Crit races, Killarney twice a week. Yes that's a race. He says he doesn't do zwift racing anymore coz everyone cheats.

This phenomenon of if you own a bicycle you MUST race it seems to be a bit of a uniquely South African phenomenon and I honestly don't understand it. 

or when the bunches start to ride across the road and in the gutter in to the oncoming traffic and you have traffic overtaking you on the dirt on the left because they can and the cyclists tell them to F Off. Thats when the races became a no no. TBH the attitude to cyclists and races has got a lot worse since 20 years ago when we were tolerated. Now without road closure its super dangerous and as you say the routes aren't really that interesting any more. Jhb 94.7 whatever its called now - what a lousy route - would never ride it on a normal day and its just a showboat.  Like the man says - this is a local affliction that once you start cycling you need to do a race. In many countries races are the exception. 

FWIW I am down to one race a year - CT CT. And i have a long list of races i have ridden multiple times. Why - just couldn't be bothered with the schlep and admin - all the same same - no excitement in it - I ride for fitness, social interaction with mates and enjoyment of fresh air. 

Make it easy - arrive and drive - have your board with a chip in it - if you pass the timing mats it will bill your on file credit card for the race. No expos and events prior and number collections and seeding systems - make it frictionless  and make them loops that i can park, ride and go home - hospitality etc also overrated. Like someone said you used to arrive , pay your R 80, fill in a form, go to your chute (self seeded) and then you were off and riding. Came back, chatted a bit and went home.

On 10/28/2022 at 7:55 AM, WernerStrydom said:

Yes, he also runs an indoor studio in Benoni, awesome training. Bike Craft Performance Coaching.

Jeremy is building quite a good stable of racers, both on the track and the road, I like the way he is taking the sport forward

On 10/29/2022 at 8:38 AM, Wayne pudding Mol said:

If you’re looking for a nice closed road race, The herald in PE just before the argus is when I usually dust off a roadbike and realise how woefully unprepared I am for the CTCT 2 weeks later but at least I’ve done a training ride 

The Herald, after doing it for the first time this year, is now one of my favorites. Up there with Amashova and 947. Ill be back in 2023

1. Ban the guy who shouts wopaaaa.
  2. Lower the costs for entry. Even for the relatively well-off, it's gotten to the point where one reconsiders. 

Not sure what can be done about this one but I know loads of roadies who are now MTB converts. The trails are really good in the WC at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Just read that article. Its very on point. but I think the horse has bolted. Stage races have had their peak. The only way to reinvigorate the genre is to innovate and I don;t see a lot of that happening.

Rumour has it the Cape Epic will be re-inventing itself after the 2023 edition....

This should then spark a plethora of lower cost copycats that will still be more expensive than current stage events

Also read it. Thought he's somewhat off.

Stage races are expensive - so you have to weigh up your options. There's also been a lot of other sporting events that have popped up. Things like triathlons, swims, trail running.

And lastly, access to absolutely phenomenal mountain bike trails have popped up everywhere. We can now ride a 60km route through Plaisir, Boschendal and Banhoek that will make a W2W stage feel too expensive.

Personally, id like to see more Team Time Trial events, those really get the club rivalries going. I'd also like to see more teams in A Batch, 947 usually offers some team dynamics and strategy in A Batch, not so much in the smaller races.

Another idea, reverse the start times, let the elites come in last while the finishers grab a couple beers while waiting to see the pros finish.

Crit Racing involving clubs, it could also incorporate TTT's and even do a madison (wow would that not be a fun event to spectate?) the crit series that Bike Craft is hosting does not cost much, at R70 a pop with good racing, some additional coaching also in place, why not. 

It is short and powerful racing, the format is good for spectators and it is quite safe. We attended our first a couple of weeks ago and it was a really good experience indeed. 

It has difference categories for different race and fitness levels too. 

Crit Racing.jpg

Edited by Carla Gianchino
More info

Cost of living or the cost of races?

For me there are a few things going on - 

Advertising. The big headline races like 94.7, CTCT seem to be advertising less. or the old channels don't reach as many people as they used to. There are various reasons I am sure, but advertising drives aspiration and turnout, and then the trickle down to smaller 'qualifying'/seeding races. (I'm happy to be wrong here - this is my opinion with no data). New riders are not browsing the CSA website.

Time and Cost. There are some races that I skip just because you have to drive to the venue twice - once for your number and then again for your race (number collection anywhere has this issue). We have the tech to not have to do number collection. Races seem to be a lot more expensive to organise too, but all the old models are still used. 

Professionalisation.. There are tons of new cyclists out there - I do think the sport is growing very nicely, but racing is no longer the standard measure of progress. Trail centres for the win, and cycling clubs. Organised races used to be about trail access (or road closure). No longer true - there is now a racing career or a recreational focus to consider.

16 minutes ago, M L said:

Also read it. Thought he's somewhat off.

Stage races are expensive - so you have to weigh up your options. There's also been a lot of other sporting events that have popped up. Things like triathlons, swims, trail running.

And lastly, access to absolutely phenomenal mountain bike trails have popped up everywhere. We can now ride a 60km route through Plaisir, Boschendal and Banhoek that will make a W2W stage feel too expensive.

R 1200 annual fee for a winelands trail pass and i have access to all of them and i am in a more beautiful area than many places in the world. Thats innovation. Okay so i have just moved from Jhb to paarl so am still a bit in awe - used to ride around cradle a lot, but i would really never struggle to find a new fresh place to ride every weekend down here whereas it was one loop in Jhb.  Its crazy good here. Road rides - helshoogte, Franschoek, Bains, Du Toits , Paarl Mountain etc. MTB - name an iconic routs. PLasir, Boschendal, Banhoek, Lourensford, Jonkershoek Paarl Mountain, Spice Route etc etc etc. The single track in the estate 100m from my door which is free is better than N Farm was.

Why would i honestly ever want to do an event ?

But I agree - closed Crits in estates or loops, club c=racing, track racing etc - all bring in new ideas and make it simple and easy.

6 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

R 1200 annual fee for a winelands trail pass and i have access to all of them and i am in a more beautiful area than many places in the world. Thats innovation. Okay so i have just moved from Jhb to paarl so am still a bit in awe - used to ride around cradle a lot, but i would really never struggle to find a new fresh place to ride every weekend down here whereas it was one loop in Jhb.  Its crazy good here. Road rides - helshoogte, Franschoek, Bains, Du Toits , Paarl Mountain etc. MTB - name an iconic routs. PLasir, Boschendal, Banhoek, Lourensford, Jonkershoek Paarl Mountain, Spice Route etc etc etc. The single track in the estate 100m from my door which is free is better than N Farm was.

Why would i honestly ever want to do an event ?

But I agree - closed Crits in estates or loops, club c=racing, track racing etc - all bring in new ideas and make it simple and easy.

Totally with you. I still suffer from some FOMO so I do an event every now and again. But we are so spoiled for choice it makes it difficult to justify a 3-day W2W weekend. Ernie Els and Spier also now are part of the Winelands trails.

37 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

Personally, id like to see more Team Time Trial events, those really get the club rivalries going. I'd also like to see more teams in A Batch.

I proposed inter-club racing on the Central Gauteng club WhatsApp group; not a single response, from the clubs represented on the group, other than the two that I spoke to in person. Makes me wonder if the right people are engaging with their members, because a number of members say they weren't told about it (or they weren't paying attention to the flood of information being sent out). 

Distance to race and cost of entry are issues for me. I used to do many of the old style PPA fun rides which now can't happen in the southern peninsula. If its a choice between driving 75km to do a  road race or stay home and ride on the mountain or road, the latter prevails. The CTCT entry increases which are way over inflation  every year means I may just miss out this year. I wish my income went up by the same margin.