Save Delta Park Trails

Steady Spin

From Jozi Trails:

We thank the Jozi Trails community for all your patience regarding information about the new Delta Park trails parallel to Bantam Drive. Jozi Trails has been busy gaining a clearer picture of the situation and engaging with the relevant parties. 

Previously, Jozi Trails had put out a request for soil donations to use for maintenance. A miscommunication resulted in approximately 6000m3 of soil being delivered - significantly more than anticipated. Jozi Trails notified City about the issue and immediately made plans to start moving the excess soil. There were unfortunate delays and complications during this process, and it incurred substantial costs. The majority of the soil was successfully removed off-site and after consultation with the City of Johannesburg it was agreed some of the soil could be used for maintenance and to build the new trail (at the top corner next to Delta School) 

On 2 November 2022, there was a meeting at Delta Park between Jozi Trails and representatives from the Environment and Infrastructure Services department of City of Johannesburg (EISD) and Johannesburg City Parks and Zoo.

EISD raised complaints about potential infringement of environmental laws regarding non-native soil in a wetland area, the full details to still be shared in a formal GDARD pre-compliance notice.

Based on these environmental concerns and with the threat of legal action against it, Jozi Trails was instructed to:
➡️ Remove all the soil deposited in Delta Park for rehabilitation, trail maintenance or trail building
➡️ Remove all soil that was used to repair erosion damage on the walking path along the tree line (along Bantam Road) 
➡️ Remove all the jump line trails constructed in the top corner of Delta Park
➡️ To return the areas back to their previous state.

Jozi Trails as a non-profit organisation that knows the importance of fully engaging with our community and stakeholders in successfully developing sustainable, environmentally conscious trails. During the past number of months, we have been in continuous contact with the relevant City departments to ensure that all work was done with approval. Unfortunately, our communication with our users was not always as consistent. 

This development comes as a surprise and disappointment to Jozi Trails. The financial cost involved in addressing the complaints could potentially see Jozi Trails having no option but to cease operations. 

We thank the Jozi Trails community for all your support in keeping the trails free to use, well-maintained – and enjoyable – for everyone. If you would like to voice your opinion on these developments, please complete the following questionnaire: https://forms.gle/uQZeaRL9XB6wCnxC9 or alternatively you can send an email to: 

LindaK@joburg.org.za
NathanM@joburg.org.za
CleopatraM2@joburg.org.za
KholofeloMpha@joburg.org.za
JaneE@joburg.org.za
bmohlathe@jhbcityparks.com
arankin@jhbcityparks.com
DakaloN@joburg.org.za
lindak@joburg.org.za
jmoodley@jhbcityparks.com
info@jozitrails.co.za

Another own goal by JHB government.

sorry to hear about this - seems insane they can raise all those points when the river itself is polluted beyond rehabilitation.

For what it is worth, please complete the survey. 

I for one am totally bummed out by this. I helped build there in the past. Only for some stupid government official to ruin it. 

This boggles the mind.  I filled out the survey.  I can't believe this is a topic of concern for them given the plastic and general river pollution. 

7 hours ago, dave303e said:

smells like a witch hunt to me...

Florence Bloom isn't even listed as a protected area in the protected areas register.

Ditto, there’s a rat in this soup. I think JY possibly got ahead of themselves in some respects, but then a voluntary NPO is by default an imperfect entity. The motive is honourable and well meaning however, it should be encouraged and guided. 

Not the case here. It seems like some were waiting for them to trip up. The local ward councillor who was quick to align themselves with JT before, is now nowhere to be heard of. The whole scenario is starting to smell like bureaucrats having an internal power struggle among the politics. 

Someone is hiding behind legalities and being economical with the truth. 

Meanwhile the only people left to deal with the fallout will be those employed by JT and the communities in the area.

This entire thing just shows me how the world has gone a bit mad. The work Jozi Trails has done has:

1) Made all the trails better for cyclists, runners and walkers

2) Have made the trails safer and they have helped directly when people have had an incident (they helped us when one person in our group was bike jacked)

3) By doing this the small number of restaurants and coffee shops have grown and created jobs thus helping the economy.

I'm sure there are more positives to mention and there are also negatives i.e. the trails are busier and the sand is very identifiable; but on the whole its a net positive.

So to the title of this thread, besides filling out the survey (https://forms.gle/uQZeaRL9XB6wCnxC9) what else can we do? Who has some ideas? We could all donate money to get it fixed that way ensuring the Jozi Trails remains operational, @jozitrails how much would you need?

Can someone point out to COJ, that delta is a greenbelt not a protected area. Rather they should have a good look at Diepsloot, where they have just approved a formal housing development in a protected area, alongside the sewer works, informal settlement and other developments there. They throwing stones in glass houses here

I wonder if there's a land developer in the back ground to COJ flexing their muscles all of a sudden? 

One cant have pesky cyclists and runners following a trail right through a new development... 

12 minutes ago, 117 said:

I wonder if there's a land developer in the back ground to COJ flexing their muscles all of a sudden? 

One cant have pesky cyclists and runners following a trail right through a new development... 

there is definitely someone throwing their weight around, I do not for one second believe the environmental impact angle they have come with.

42 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Can someone point out to COJ, that delta is a greenbelt not a protected area. Rather they should have a good look at Diepsloot, where they have just approved a formal housing development in a protected area, alongside the sewer works, informal settlement and other developments there. They throwing stones in glass houses here

Low hanging fruit.

This is all about Power, and civil servants flexing thier muscles.

Remember "The most powerfull person in Africa, always has a BIG RUBBER STAMP"........

AdobeStock_128296709-1080x675.jpeg

Ridiculous situation considering the pollution and state of the area, but it unfortunately relates to it being a wetland area from a legislative perspective and has nothing to do with greenbelt or protected area.

5 hours ago, 117 said:

Short answer, no. 

So, shady left field option here, from someone who is neither  a lawyer, a local there and doesn't know the setup. 

Take a cue from the dirty corporate cookbook.
If Jozi trails is an npo or business, there is hopefully some limited liability Chinese wall between it and it's founders/directors . So JT throw removes the soil dumps, but leave the trails, throw their hands up in the air, say sorry and disband. Fire it's directors and employees, and leave a shell with very little value. 

Then enter stage left, a new npo/pty Ltd pops up, with new directors and saves the day by employing the employees who got shafted, and continues the good work that JT did.

If mining companies can strip assets and leave u rehabilitated mines, then so can trail builders. 

The wheels of bureaucracy turns slowly, and Jozi municipality is basically a toothless dog. By the time anything solid is going to happen, then the above mentioned @jhbmunicipality people will have moved on. And there will be nothing left in Jozi Trails to prosecute. 

They can't keep effluent, pollution and squatters out, so how will they keep mtbs out?