Stellenbosch bike theft

Stephan

We had 2 Epics stolen in Stellenbosch a week ago. Locks cut. Off the bike rack. We weren't gone long. There was a 'car gaurd' in the street. Looked safe. Parked in the shade as I had 4 dogs in the canopy which must have barked like crazy.

I have photos of the car gaurd.

Another cyclist saw the thieves on our bike and took pictures. The town has CCTV camers.

So photos don't help because the police don't help. I've not received a single call from SAPS yet. I however have tried 3 different numbers around over and over again, over a few days and nobody answered. Warrant Officer McGear is never there. So I sent an email with photos of the gaurd and thieves. No response to my email neither!

ABC security was parked in the street when I arrived and saw the bikes gone. I went to speak to the guy. He got on his phone and did not even respond to my desperate plea for help. I tried to ask if he saw anything or if he could look around, radio other security but alas. He never even said a word to me. Ignored me. Maybe if you are with them you should look elsewhere. Anyway I followed my intuition and drove the streets to see if I could see them.

I must have just missed them according to the photos I received and the direction they went. I went the correct way but didn't get them.

Screenshot_20221128_195854_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20221128_195943_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20221128_200003_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

11 hours ago, Lloyd Bristow said:

We had 2 Epics stolen in Stellenbosch a week ago. Locks cut. Off the bike rack. We weren't gone long. There was a 'car gaurd' in the street. Looked safe. Parked in the shade as I had 4 dogs in the canopy which must have barked like crazy.

Another cyclist saw the thieves on our bike and took pictures. The town has CCTV camers.

So photos don't help because the police don't help. I've not received a single call from SAPS yet. I however have tried 3 different numbers around over and over again, over a few days and nobody answered. Warrant Officer McGear is never there. So I sent an email with photos of the gaurd and thieves. No response to my email neither!

ABC security was parked in the street when I arrived and saw the bikes gone. I went to speak to the guy. He got on his phone and did not even respond to my desperate plea for help. I tried to ask if he saw anything or if he could look around, radio other security but alas. He never even said a word to me. Ignored me. Maybe if you are with them you should look elsewhere. Anyway I followed my intuition and drove the streets to see if I could see them.

I must have just missed them according to the photos I received and the direction they went. I went the correct way but didn't get them.

Same story. Steal a bike in town and ride it to Kayamandi via Bird street. 

Must be a massive syndicate at this stage as they steal a lot of high value bikes. 

Edited by M L

11 hours ago, Lloyd Bristow said:

I’ll ask around about the guy who stole the bike. 

Maybe we can create a local bike theft fund to get a private investigator involved?  I’m 95% sure it’s the same 4 people stealing bikes for the same syndicate. 

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Very frustrating.

I can cycle to meeting in Stellenbosch, even got the shower sorted .... but just no where safe to store the bike while in the meeting.....

I just take my bike right into the meeting. Most people in Stellies ride too anyway so no problem!

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, M L said:

Wow, fancy for Grassy Park you reckon?

That's quite a statement you've made there hey!

47 minutes ago, M L said:

The guy is only selling the fork for R3K, noting fishy about that imo.

Unless I'm missing something?

Edited by Rudii

Just now, Rudii said:

The guy is only selling the fork for R3K, noting fishy about that imo.

The fishy is Grassy Park and Stellenbosch and not one and the same thing 🤷🏽‍♂️