Review: Titan Racing Cypher RS Carbon Ultimate

Matt

Over nearly two decades in our market, Titan Racing has earned a reputation as a brand that delivers a lot of bike for your money. The Cypher dual suspension mountain bike is no exception and delivers value across the range that is tough to beat. The Cypher platform is available in two variants: 1) Cypher […]

View full article

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Matt said:

Over nearly two decades in our market, Titan Racing has earned a reputation as a brand that delivers a lot of bike for your money. The Cypher dual suspension mountain bike is no exception and delivers value across the range that is tough to beat.

image.jpeg

View full article

The only slight negative for me on this bike is the frame weight.  If that can be sorted in future it can for sure compete with the best brands.

How heavy is the frame if it still weighs over 11kg with all those high end parts and no dropper!? 

Many marathon pros run droppers so its a mystery why the bike doesn't come equipped with one unless its just to differentiate it from the 12Omm version?. 

2 hours ago, TheoG said:

The only slight negative for me on this bike is the frame weight.  If that can be sorted in future it can for sure compete with the best brands.

The 2023 S-Works Epic is one of the lightest full suspension XC bikes you can get. It weighs just over 10kgs, and costs R240 000. The Titan costs R130 000. I know which one I'd buy. 1kg is not worth R110 000 to me. I don't think the Titan is competing with the best brands. I think it's for budget conscious buyers who want good value in a decent package. 

22 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

The 2023 S-Works Epic is one of the lightest full suspension XC bikes you can get. It weighs just over 10kgs, and costs R240 000. The Titan costs R130 000. I know which one I'd buy. 1kg is not worth R110 000 to me. I don't think the Titan is competing with the best brands. I think it's for budget conscious buyers who want good value in a decent package. 

The Titan is good enough to compete if they optimize the weight in future.  Agree, I will also not pay R110k for 1 kg, BUT there are other options, S-Works is not the be all and end all of low weight bikes. 

26 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

Well said, and also those s-works seldom end up below 10.8kg anyway with usable tyres. The weight difference isn’t as big as the spec sheet would have you believe 

Just now, TheoG said:

The Titan is good enough to compete if they optimize the weight in future.  Agree, I will also not pay R110k for 1 kg, BUT there are other options, S-Works is not the be all and end all of low weight bikes. 

Fair comment. S-Works is just one example. Be interested to see how much a similar-specced Cannondale or Scott costs, and what the weight difference is. I've never owned a top end XC bike, so not sure what's considered light. My bike weighs 12.4kgs without pedals and I thought that it was pretty light. 😁

On extended marathon events like the Epic the bikes are generally at the heavier end of the spectrum to make them more durable eg tyres and droppers to aid descending. No Epic rider, pro or not hasn't finished or not won because his or her bike weighed too much. 

3 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

Fair comment. S-Works is just one example. Be interested to see how much a similar-specced Cannondale or Scott costs, and what the weight difference is. I've never owned a top end XC bike, so not sure what's considered light. My bike weighs 12.4kgs without pedals and I thought that it was pretty light. 😁

When I bought my bike it weighed 10.4 with pedals and cages. Tyres felt amazing but they wore out quickly. Like for like replacement introduced an additional 250gr of weight!!!

then I replaced the pivot bearings…. Another 40gr heavier….

added a pm and the added 150gr. And suddenly it was a sliver under 11!!

dropper was supposed to add 300gr instead it added 500grish….

OEM spec parts and retail parts don’t seem to have the same weight ….

4 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

I built and chose my own components, my bike is around 11kg all up and I spend less then R60k in total.  Granted, my frame is a 2013 model and not according to modern geometry but still very light weight for its age .... 😀.

All I'm saying is no need to spend 2 arms and 2 legs (~R240k) to have a lightweight capable bike.

Just now, Headshot said:

Just for comparison, my aluminium Enduro with 2.6/2.5 trail tyres, foam inserts, dropper and aluminium rims weighs in at around 16kg.  

Thats a good weight for a proper enduro bike, the ruff stuff is not for me so enjoy 🤪

Jeeezzzz I really hope that all of you are pro’s, didn’t know weight of a bike will make you a better rider, ride more and loose some weight, much better!

I think this is great value for money and if I’m correct Bike Addict sold them for R109 000 at one stage, so even better!

S-works / Specialized over rated, R240 000 for a bike is ridiculous, but still people buy them / finance them because of the brand.

Give Titan Racing the credit for developing well priced / speced bikes and I’m 200% sure there is more to come

Just now, AllAboutRides said:

Jeeezzzz I really hope that all of you are pro’s, didn’t know weight of a bike will make you a better rider, ride more and loose some weight, much better!

I think this is great value for money and if I’m correct Bike Addict sold them for R109 000 at one stage, so even better!

S-works / Specialized over rated, R240 000 for a bike is ridiculous, but still people buy them / finance them because of the brand.

Give Titan Racing the credit for developing well priced / speced bikes and I’m 200% sure there is more to come

Agree with you 100%.  I did and is busy losing a bike or two's weight from my waist ... 😁🤪

Unfortunately I am a bit of a weight weeny on my bike also 🙈, always looking to keep its weight down as much as possible 🤦‍♂️.

15 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Just for comparison, my aluminium Enduro with 2.6/2.5 trail tyres, foam inserts, dropper and aluminium rims weighs in at around 16kg.  

You must love shuttle days!!! 😁