Western Cape Enduro 2023

MORNE

15 minutes ago, MORNE said:

But we had such fun last time plonking long? We even had some DH celebs in our company😅

True and NOT! Completing the event, does not mean utter fun. It was awesome riding with you and the rest of our “crew”, but it’s like you just said;  “then move along”.  There’s loads to ride around that piece of dirt in the middle of a city. 

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Jewbacca said:

XCO can be hella technical. Often more technical than most of the crowd pleasing enduro's. 

Just saying. XCM is the gravel road interspersed with basic single track brigade

Jewey, you’re poking a can of worms not really worth opening. 👀

ps: riding the CTCT on a bmx is also the ‘wrong’ kind of riding you mad man🤣, havent you heard? Ye be judged!

Maybe you should come #broduro with your rigid SS bike next time! 

1 minute ago, MORNE said:

Jewey, you’re poking a can of worms not really worth opening. 👀

ps: riding the CTCT on a bmx is also the ‘wrong’ kind of riding you mad man🤣, havent you heard? Ye be judged!

Maybe you should come #broduro with your rigid SS bike next time! 

I've been hella embroiled in ALL of the above disciplines. All of them are rad. 

It's just the sensitive people who truly believe their chosen discipline is betterer than other disciplines who get offended.

Riding bikes is riding bikes. It's a silly, futile thing that is supposed to be done for enjoyment, but somehow manages to suck the joy out of some of the people doing it.

If ANY enduro trail is too easy then you're going too slowly. 

If you just want to shred the gnar, then go shred gnar. Riding an enduro on a DH bike in full Lycra and carbon sole XCO shoes? RAD!

Do the Enduro, don't do it... But being negative and self righteous about how gnarly you are at bikes is the silliest of all.  There is always someone who sees your gnar and raises you GNAR!

On 1/25/2023 at 11:51 PM, V18 said:

Really hope they do a Delvera one again. That koppie had some nice trails if I recall correctly. Nice venue too. Family that don't ride can klap a Warwick/Delvera picnic around the corner while we ride. 

Delvera does not have trails listed on Trailforks anymore... odd..

image.png.f5b7ba9fdd33484f123f8732e8a0a4e2.png

47 minutes ago, MORNE said:

The point is they cant please everyone. If the format/event/location doesn't work for you for whatever reason, then move along to stuff you like doing instead. It really is that simple. It’s perfectly fine too.
As it stands i’m indifferent about all this. I just want to ride bicycles and enjoy doing it. I don't have time, nor do I care about other peoples opinions of what constitutes the ‘right’ kind riding.
who the fark cares? Just ride something..as long as it makes you happy. Again, if it doesn't - move along.

I left primary school long enough ago to not care about what is considered ‘cool’  or not. I do wtf i want. It has served me well.

I mean you posted
"But if i hear the phrase ‘not enough gnar’ or XC event again i’m going to puke. Jebus…grow some like lungs ffs.  
If they chose Banhoek nobody would have said ‘not enough gnar’….even though there is fokkolol there too, but its more bike-parky so thats fine?"

So clearly theres enough time are care for the opinions for you to want to make your own about them.....

Its far from about being "cool" its about wanting to progress and test yourself .. theres nothing wrong with that... thats called being passionate.

All the talk about just having fun, thats fine and you do you, no one can change that but wanting to be compettitive and progressive is not always JUST FUN
I mean this is a compettitive platform right? so its fine to have a non chalant approach and just do it for shts and kicks but super audastic to be telling peeps that actually want to try take it abit more seriously to just move on

Who the fark cares? people who want to take it seriously.. again its a compettitive platform

But then thats also bikehub....
Too much talk about "self righteuousness" and "Endurobro Toxicity" and "How people think their chosen discipline is the best"
Yet.. No one is actually doing that... its just pointless moaning

33 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I've been hella embroiled in ALL of the above disciplines. All of them are rad. 

It's just the sensitive people who truly believe their chosen discipline is betterer than other disciplines who get offended.

Riding bikes is riding bikes. It's a silly, futile thing that is supposed to be done for enjoyment, but somehow manages to suck the joy out of some of the people doing it.

If ANY enduro trail is too easy then you're going too slowly. 

If you just want to shred the gnar, then go shred gnar. Riding an enduro on a DH bike in full Lycra and carbon sole XCO shoes? RAD!

Do the Enduro, don't do it... But being negative and self righteous about how gnarly you are at bikes is the silliest of all.  There is always someone who sees your gnar and raises you GNAR!

and so...
Because there is always someone that will do better the latter should not want more or try harder or take it seriously?

Who sucked the joy out of what exactly? hubbers love to go on abiout the toxicity on trails and Enduro Bro culture and on and on yet i have ONLY seen hubbers being toxic

Some people find joy is just having a good time and thats all good
Some people want abit more, thats fine too. 
Some people want to try hard, good on them.
Has nothing to do with self righteousness.

35 minutes ago, Josh Baptie said:

and so...
Because there is always someone that will do better the latter should not want more or try harder or take it seriously?

Who sucked the joy out of what exactly? hubbers love to go on abiout the toxicity on trails and Enduro Bro culture and on and on yet i have ONLY seen hubbers being toxic

Some people find joy is just having a good time and thats all good
Some people want abit more, thats fine too. 
Some people want to try hard, good on them.
Has nothing to do with self righteousness.

No one is stopping you from progressing.

If you progress in all the areas, you will win the Enduro's regardless of where they are and what trails they are on.

The same 7 names top every leaderboard, regardless of gnar

So by all means progress. By all means do you. But when it comes to racing, in order to be sustainable, the races have to cater for everyone. 

The moaning IS toxic. It's nonsense. Get fit, Send gaps, shred gnar. It's awesome. Moaning that the Enduro isn't up to your standard is not awesome.

Just don't enter. 

Or, enter the Enduro's that do interest you?

Or make one yourself that shreds gnar. 

Don't think that I'm not into racing, going fast or sending. I really am. I also LOVE gnar.

What I don't get are those who whinge

to add.... One does not progress at races. One races them

Edited by Jewbacca

3 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

No one is stopping you from progressing.

If you progress in all the areas, you will win the Enduro's regardless of where they are and what trails they are on.

The same 7 names top every leaderboard, regardless of gnar

So by all means progress. By all means do you. But when it comes to racing, in order to be sustainable, the races have to cater for everyone. 

The moaning IS toxic. It's nonsense. Get fit, Send gaps, shred gnar. It's awesome. Moaning that the Enduro isn't up to your standard is not awesome.

Just don't enter. 

Or, enter the Enduro's that do interest you?

Or make one yourself that shreds gnar. 

Don't think that I'm not into racing, going fast or sending. I really am. I also LOVE gnar.

What I don't get are those who whinge

to add.... One does not progress at races. One races them

100% in agreeance

The moaning is toxic.. so then why moan and go on about **** that hasnt even happened?
People sucking joy and being self righteous... where exactly?

Super hipocritical bikehub as usual. People came here and had opinions, dare someone have a different opinion and think the trail is not worth it and all of a sudden its THEM that are selrighteous toxic individuals who think their discipline is best. classic

"The same 7 names top every leaderboard, regardless of gnar"
Okay... and so why the statement.. something to look up to if anything, good on them

saying people whinge just because they dont agree with your view or the general consensus IS TOXIC

Obvs you dont progress at the race but your not gonna go practice B-Spot to race at Jonkers now are you....
Personally i was looking forward to this years season and looking forward to the gnar yes. Jonkers set a bar for me. So you can imagine my dissapointment with Paarl. And im not super keen on driving all the way out there spending petrol money to practice timid trails, i personally prefer something abit more rough.
Thats my opinion that i am allowed to have just like you can have yours.. except im not brandishing arrogant ill statements

At the end of the day it means nothing, the event will be whatever it will be regardless of your or my opinion on this thread.
But if you wana blast people or make statements then expect the exact same back is all

"Its always have fun and be lekker" until someone doesnt agree.......

6 minutes ago, Josh Baptie said:

100% in agreeance

The moaning is toxic.. so then why moan and go on about **** that hasnt even happened?
People sucking joy and being self righteous... where exactly?

Super hipocritical bikehub as usual. People came here and had opinions, dare someone have a different opinion and think the trail is not worth it and all of a sudden its THEM that are selrighteous toxic individuals who think their discipline is best. classic

"The same 7 names top every leaderboard, regardless of gnar"
Okay... and so why the statement.. something to look up to if anything, good on them

saying people whinge just because they dont agree with your view or the general consensus IS TOXIC

Obvs you dont progress at the race but your not gonna go practice B-Spot to race at Jonkers now are you....
Personally i was looking forward to this years season and looking forward to the gnar yes. Jonkers set a bar for me. So you can imagine my dissapointment with Paarl. And im not super keen on driving all the way out there spending petrol money to practice timid trails, i personally prefer something abit more rough.
Thats my opinion that i am allowed to have just like you can have yours.. except im not brandishing arrogant ill statements

At the end of the day it means nothing, the event will be whatever it will be regardless of your or my opinion on this thread.
But if you wana blast people or make statements then expect the exact same back is all

"Its always have fun and be lekker" until someone doesnt agree.......

Why are you so angry?

Disagree with my view, that's cool, but being rubbish about the races is what I have an issue with.

It's a thankless task. I've not seen you doing timing or manning a water station or registration or sweeping or volunteering your time to keep the Enduro scene alive in the last 10 years. If you were there, sorry. 

The last 4 people/companies who tried to keep Enduro afloat all dropped it because it's a really difficult, time consuming thing to produce and it doesn't make any money. 

It really sucks when you pour time, effort, heart and soul into something only to have it bashed constantly. 

I was around for the Gnarduro's too. Most of them ran once or twice then dedded too. 

The whining about the races gets to me because those doing it will once again just say 'cool, we tried, you can all do it yourselves if we suck at it so much' and then there is no Enduro again.

I would love a sendy mcsendface series of Heldeberg, Jonkers, Ezelenduro, Klipburg but in reality it's not something people will go to annually and it's a pain to organise, especially for ungrateful people.

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

XCO can be hella technical. Often more technical than most of the crowd pleasing enduro's. 

Just saying. XCM is the gravel road interspersed with basic single track brigade

Agree, XCO can be lank technical...just ask Mathieu van Der Poel! 

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Why are you so angry?

Disagree with my view, that's cool, but being rubbish about the races is what I have an issue with.

It's a thankless task. I've not seen you doing timing or manning a water station or registration or sweeping or volunteering your time to keep the Enduro scene alive in the last 10 years. If you were there, sorry. 

The last 4 people/companies who tried to keep Enduro afloat all dropped it because it's a really difficult, time consuming thing to produce and it doesn't make any money. 

It really sucks when you pour time, effort, heart and soul into something only to have it bashed constantly. 

I was around for the Gnarduro's too. Most of them ran once or twice then dedded too. 

The whining about the races gets to me because those doing it will once again just say 'cool, we tried, you can all do it yourselves if we suck at it so much' and then there is no Enduro again.

I would love a sendy mcsendface series of Heldeberg, Jonkers, Ezelenduro, Klipburg but in reality it's not something people will go to annually and it's a pain to organise, especially for ungrateful people.

admittedly am/was quite flared up.
I can have a mature conversation and even debate till blue in the face but i dont see the need for the attitude of if you dont like it move on or taking shots at people (Or groups of people) or making statements about **** thats not even happening such as sucking the joy, self righteuosness ect ect.
Thats the actual whining and takes it to an unecessary place.

No i have not been around the scene for 10 years, im fairly new it has gripped my by the throat and i live and breathe on my bike now.

I DID reach out when the Jonkers Enduro was announced and offered to get involved and help where possible. I was thanked and asked how. I said in whatever way i can including being able to source some peeps willing to perform the tasks you mentioned above..I recieved no reply to this day... 

I 100% support what they are trying to do and im willing to get involved in any way possible, that doesnt mean i have to agree with the choice of trails or trying to make it flat enough for everyone to ride. again Jonkers was absolutely awesome and the trails played a huge part in that.

Im not some amazing rider who wants the ultimate gnar but i mean cmon... +-6km steep climb to ride the wall trail..... never....again.....

Lite tickets were "Sold Out"  for paarl so the new guys with us bought full tickets at full price to just ride the first 2 or 3 trails and then got told AFTER that they could have just registered for Lite at the venue....but sold out?

I Understand that its been a hard road for the Enduros in WC and i feel for it too and im more than willing to give what i can to help it along.

So no your not talking to one of the peeps you depicted above but im also not just complacent

Even though i am dissapointed in trail choice and not keen for paarl once again. I will most likely still rock up, ride and support. but that doesnt mean i cant have an opinion about it nor do i need to be blasted for that opinion 

Edited by Josh Baptie

23 hours ago, MORNE said:

If they chose Banhoek nobody would have said ‘not enough gnar’….even though there is fokkolol there too, but its more bike-parky so thats fine?

Don’t be surprised if there’s an enduro at Banhoek this year. 

22 hours ago, Josh Baptie said:

"If they chose Banhoek nobody would have said ‘not enough gnar’….even though there is fokkolol there too, but its more bike-parky so thats fine?"

I think its EXACTLY that. The trails there are atleast worth it. features, jumps, drops, scenery, compact.

But carrying speed at Rhebockskloof will require real skills and to keep it up for 4/5 stages will require fitness. Whereas banhoek doesn't really require that much skills to go fast. It's mostly Blue level flow trails with

And to progress at Enduro you need to build the fitness and get a pair of stuk lungs to get up there. Being fast on flow trails is just one piece of the puzzle. 

Besides we only have a couple of really gnarly trail venues that cater for Enduros. The odds of Helderberg holding a race again is slim, so for gnat we are left with Contermanskloof, Jonkershoek and George. 

Also bear in mind that EWC races are now organized by a new crew. With new ideas and theories. Give them a chance. 

2 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Don’t be surprised if there’s an enduro at Banhoek this year. 

But carrying speed at Rhebockskloof will require real skills and to keep it up for 4/5 stages will require fitness. Whereas banhoek doesn't really require that much skills to go fast. It's mostly Blue level flow trails with

And to progress at Enduro you need to build the fitness and get a pair of stuk lungs to get up there. Being fast on flow trails is just one piece of the puzzle. 

Besides we only have a couple of really gnarly trail venues that cater for Enduros. The odds of Helderberg holding a race again is slim, so for gnat we are left with Contermanskloof, Jonkershoek and George. 

Also bear in mind that EWC races are now organized by a new crew. With new ideas and theories. Give them a chance. 

What do you know?

Enduro is all about gravity and Gnar!

Fitness is for XC bunnies bro. The ups aren't timed and you don't need lungs to send gaps......... 

Now that I've got that off my chest, I used to love Helderberg as a venue. The steep upper slopes and the rocky middle bits always made you think and the lower slope pedally twisties left you with that lovely metallic taste. You also weren't getting all 5 stages in if you didn't have some legs/lungs.  

I'm not sure I remember a race there where the timing didn't land up being a travesty! 

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

What do you know?

Enduro is all about gravity and Gnar!

Fitness is for XC bunnies bro. The ups aren't timed and you don't need lungs to send gaps......... 

Now that I've got that off my chest, I used to love Helderberg as a venue. The steep upper slopes and the rocky middle bits always made you think and the lower slope pedally twisties left you with that lovely metallic taste. You also weren't getting all 5 stages in if you didn't have some legs/lungs.  

I'm not sure I remember a race there where the timing didn't land up being a travesty! 

He knows what you know, a universal truth….that to finish first, first you must finish -  Juan Manual Fangio

Im not the most skilled mtber by my own account, but im relatively comfortable spending time on a bike.  And i’m progressing exponentially because i can do 4/5 runs instead of one on any given day and i don't complain about it. I enjoy riding my bikes.
Paarl was a tough challenge, part of the reason everybody is hating on it, is because it was hot and pedally, but it still offered plenty of fun imo.
In any case, it was the same challenge for everyone. The top brass that came still finished where they should have. At the top.
Anyway, Part of that enjoyment comes from finishing something difficult. Paarl taught a lot of people they suck at spending 3 -4 hours on a bicycle…and for a measly 25km and 900m climbing. Use that, be better next time.
People argue that the timed stages were not wort the climbs…too easy. Well if you barely manage Paarl, you have no chance in hell finishing 5 stages at jonkers.
It doesn't matter where I finish, I finished. And i enjoyed the format, I met lekker new people like @BikeGenie here, Ms Jessi Nixon (who SHREDS btw) and a few others that made for an enjoyable experience in tough conditions. Thats all i’m keen for.

Good times with lekker people. Learning as I go.

Edited by MORNE

6 minutes ago, MORNE said:

He knows what you know, a universal truth….that to finish first, first you must finish -  Juan Manual Fangio

Im not the most skilled mtber by my own account, but im relatively comfortable spending time on a bike.  And i’m progressing exponentially because i can do 4/5 runs instead of one on any given day and i don't complain about it. I enjoy riding my bikes.
Paarl was a tough challenge, part of the reason everybody is hating on it, is because it was hot and pedally, but it still offered plenty of fun imo.
In any case, it was the same challenge for everyone. The top brass that came still finished where they should have. At the top.
Anyway, Part of that enjoyment comes from finishing something difficult. Paarl taught a lot of people they suck at spending 3 -4 hours on a bicycle…and for a measly 25km and 900m climbing. Use that, be better next time.
People argue that the timed stages were not wort the climbs…too easy. Well if you barely manage Paarl, you have no chance in hell finishing 5 stages at jonkers.
It doesn't matter where I finish, I finished. And i enjoyed the format, I met lekker new people like @BikeGenie here, Ms Jessi Nixon (who SHREDS btw) and a few others that made for an enjoyable experience in tough conditions. Thats all i’m keen for.

Good times with lekker people. Learning as I go.

Agree, Paarl was my first enduro in the WC, and it was a blast. Could not believe all the negative comments I saw and heard.