Peter Sagan retiring from WorldTour at end of season

peepeekaitjie

4 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

He sounds like pretty much every cycling friend I've ever known... Work hard... Play harder... he can come braai at my place any day 🤙😄

He's at the Lemmer brothers tonight....😜

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

He was caught driving a scooter 6x over the legal limit 5 weeks before the TDF and even closer to other pretty big races. This is after a fairly torrid time in which he had injured police officers and had various run ins with the law while intoxicated and breaking curfew.

This is not the behaviour of someone 100% dedicated to his trade nor an impeccable representation for his sponsors.

I'm saying this is glossed over MORE than misdemeanors of other pro's who are less successful and appear less likeable.

Freddie Flintoff will forever be remembered for sinking his pedal boat while drunk, even Tiger Woods can't be spoken about without people bringing up his DUI's and car accident. But us, as cycling fans, seem to be very forgiving of Sagan for whatever reason.

The last few years of his career were not particularly fruitful for a man of his talents, which, along with the drinking, points to someone who wasn't fully invested in what he was doing.

Can I keep up with him on a bike while he munches an energy bar? No. But he probably can't do my job as well as I can while I eat a piece of cake and drink tea. That isn't relevant. 

My point is the selective forgetfulness

I see him like that fun uncle or parent's friend who snuck you sweeties and told you dirty jokes before you were 'old enough'.. He will be remembered fondly by pretty much everyone despite the last while of his career being a shambles

Flintoff really flipped a pedalo? That's nothing compared to what his idol Botham got up to in the 80s, and hardly what most people will remember him for! Herschelle gibbs was hammered the morning he hammered the aussies at 434. As long as you didn;t break any laws, got away with it (before social media) and still performed it was fine. James small also had an (in)famous reputation for chasing skirt before a test match. This is all heresay, and goes back to a day where athletes were young, talented, performing, newly wealthy and misguided. The balance to get them to reign it in and not be robots is what managing them is so difficult.

overall I think you're being incredibly harsh on Sagz here by bringing up his drink driving as his highlighted misdemeanours. Did he not pinch a bum for you to forget it so easily? Singlehandedly destroyed the monopoly podium girls had on the presentation stand and created a new career path for pretty boys who can't read to good.

image.png.e86ea4b1ab66f1529704a2a00e1fd337.png

Off topic 🤣 He is riding quite a bit with Mr Beers.

Matt is doing Attakwas. Wonder if Sagan will do it for fun?

3 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I'm assuming you not inviting him to a braai while he's here?

You're missing the point.

I openly said I am also quick to forget his last few years. My point is the 'US' factor, not the Sagan factor.

It is put to one side when discussing his retirement and glossed over or ignored. He is charismatic, quick to smile and 'fun' in all the ways that men will easily forgive.

You guys all defending him is my exact point. WE as fans WANT or NEED him to be remembered well as most of the other modern day greats are tainted and/or disgraced.

As an aside though, I don't condone drunk driving, especially 6x over the limit. I don't think it's funny and if my friends did it I wouldn't laugh about it, no matter how fun/funny they are.

The same guys laughing about Sagan are a lot of the same guys slamming drunk drivers on other threads. Which again is my point.

Anyway, I hope that's clearer. I'm done trying to put it into words. But if one of my AR team mates was caught 6x over the legal limit 5 weeks before the biggest race of the year, I would seriously question whether they were in the game.

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

You're missing the point.

I openly said I am also quick to forget his last few years. My point is the 'US' factor, not the Sagan factor.

It is put to one side when discussing his retirement and glossed over or ignored. He is charismatic, quick to smile and 'fun' in all the ways that men will easily forgive.

You guys all defending him is my exact point. WE as fans WANT or NEED him to be remembered well as most of the other modern day greats are tainted and/or disgraced.

As an aside though, I don't condone drunk driving, especially 6x over the limit. I don't think it's funny and if my friends did it I wouldn't laugh about it, no matter how fun/funny they are.

The same guys laughing about Sagan are a lot of the same guys slamming drunk drivers on other threads. Which again is my point.

Anyway, I hope that's clearer. I'm done trying to put it into words. But if one of my AR team mates was caught 6x over the legal limit 5 weeks before the biggest race of the year, I would seriously question whether they were in the game.

Bring Valverde in the conversation and see how that goes on this forum... 🙃

On 1/16/2024 at 2:25 PM, Jewbacca said:

I reluctantly query this 

Do we all choose to forget he was arrested for being in a scooter accident while wasted not many days before the start of the TDF and other drunken issues and scuffles with Police?

He injured police officers and was handed a suspended 3 month prison sentence in separate incidents.

I love the guy, but he seems to have gotten off lightly with the public due to his likeable personality and winningest history.

The latter part of his career has been a bit of a shambles, not all of it out of his control.

Other, less popular riders would never be able to retire without having that sort of dirty laundry aired every second post.

Hahahaha. I enjoyed watching this unfold.

You: I love Sagan and he's a legend and whatnot but maybe we shouldn't say he's a great example because sometimes he does dumb stuff like drink and drive.

Everyone: WHY DO YOU HATE HIM?

3 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

Off topic 🤣 He is riding quite a bit with Mr Beers.

Matt is doing Attakwas. Wonder if Sagan will do it for fun?

We all believe this will be a very interesting, mutually benefitial time for the two riders. I wonder who will learn more from who? PS certainly has his share of stories. And has 4 times the rainbow stripes that Mr Beers does (I know 4 times 0 is still zero). 

33 minutes ago, NickGM said:

You: I love Sagan and he's a legend and whatnot but maybe we shouldn't say he's a great example because sometimes he does dumb stuff like drink and drive.

I don't hate him. I don't hate he who shall not be named either. These 2 guys, amongst a sea of others over the generations, have ignited people's interest in riding and watching bike racing on TV. They really are larger than the sport. 

1 hour ago, NickGM said:

hahahahahaha EXACTLY!

.someone say Valverde? The only thing that springs to mind is the World Champs in Hamilton Canada…LOL. The Spanish knew his was game for alternative, shall we say…opportunities! 😂

6 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

We all believe this will be a very interesting, mutually benefitial time for the two riders. I wonder who will learn more from who? PS certainly has his share of stories. And has 4 times the rainbow stripes that Mr Beers does (I know 4 times 0 is still zero). 

On a MTB? 
right now?

sagan won’t learn anything cause you need to keep up with the person you trying to learn from no?