To Range Extend or not?

Wannabe

As my current Mtb drivetrain is coming to the end of it's life, I'm looking at options for upgrade/improvement.

I'm running an 11spd XT M8000 groupset, with an GS rear derailer. Currently 11-46 cassette with a 32t chainring up front. I find that at some long and flat sections I tend to run out of gears, thus I'm thinking of fitting a 34t chainring, but in order not to loose out when the nose points upwards, I want to fit an 11-50 cassette from Sunrace (my 11-46 is also a Sunrace, been brilliant up to now)

Conundrum is, both the GS and SGS M8000 is rated to 46t max, and I don't want to go to the expense of buying a new derailer with the necessary range. A much cheaper option is to fit a "range extender" So my question is, is it worth it, does it work without causing shifting or other problems?

What are other pro's and cons of it?

Please advise. 

FWIW, I ran an 11s XT M8000 shifter and derailleur with a Sunrace 11-50 without any issues for about 3 years. You'll find lots of folks online that have done that and it seems to work fine. 

Edit: my brother tried one of the newer 11s Shimano derailleurs with the big range with the old shifter and it didn't work that great. It was ok, but never perfect. 

Edited by Adr!@n

We have a 1x11 running an 11-50 Sunrace cassette, with a long derailleur (thanks SS)

That extra granny will allow you to go bigger in front, thus gaining some top end.

That said, even with a 36 ring and 11 at the back you spin out mid 30's .....  

Edited by ChrisF

Personally I've had mixed success with range extenders, when they work they are great though!

I found that now and then it helps to get the derailleur to reach the dinner plate but then shifting in the lower half of the cassette is compromised ... could just be me. 

#NotABikeMechanic

1 hour ago, droo said:

It'll never be perfect, but it'll work. And if it doesn't, Wolftooth Goatlink will sort you out for less than the price of a new RD.

Thanks Droo, and you have Goatlinks in stock? (I was actually referring to a Goatlink type gizmo in my convulated original post)

7 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Thanks Droo, and you have Goatlinks in stock? (I was actually referring to a Goatlink type gizmo in my convulated original post)

I thought I did, but sadly not. Neither does the supplier.

12 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Been using this calculator for a while, works great !

Got it from Robert white head. It die work nice. You csn see you ratio vs speed vs cadence 

50t cassette works if you don't use force/power in the 11t. The problem with the big cassette (11-50t) with Shimano is it only catches about 3 teeth on the small cog so it doesn't last long. You can buy them separately but quite expensive. 

Have not tried it with a goat link. Sram on the big cassette works better as their derailleur wraps around the small cog. I used sunrace cassette with sram 11spd and got over 8000kms out of it with 2 chains. 

6 hours ago, ChrisF said:

6 hours ago, ChrisF said:

That said, even with a 36 ring and 11 at the back you spin out mid 30's .....  

You need to work on increasing your cadence

Screenshot_20230222-174839.png