Shimano - WTF!

duringd

I'm trying to get some replacement parts for my drivetrain and brake units, XTR components. Standard answer is nobody has stock, Shimano cannot deliver. Deliveries "could" be possible late June, middle July. You can, however, get from overseas, not cheaper, but they have stock. Guess what - sorry, no deliveries of Shimano parts to SA. So the bigwigs at Shimano can keep us at ransom for their shite production schedules and lack of understanding of "freedom of choice"? Sitting here wondering how we just allow it? Nee man, NOT COOL!!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought Shimano stuff from Merlin in the UK last year.
SJS cycles also has a ton of Shimano spares, but don't know about their shipping policy (geoblocking).
Don't know if your list is worth the Aramex Globel Shopper route.

Recently purchased a few Shimano things from Merlin in the UK, can try this route...
Standard shipping with UPS for any orders under R6k is R654 though, so rather expensive when you add import duties (Vat and handling fees) into the equation.

Edit: If you have broken the plastic cams in the levers, those you can 3D print, have had one on the older bike for months and no issue whatsoever.

As for replacements with Shimano brakes, there's a reason I went to Cura brakes, topic for another time.
Would look at Aramex Global shopper, or finding a supplier such as Merlin who are willing to go around the geolocking. 

Edited by Mtree

2 hours ago, duringd said:

I'm trying to get some replacement parts for my drivetrain and brake units, XTR components. Standard answer is nobody has stock, Shimano cannot deliver. Deliveries "could" be possible late June, middle July. You can, however, get from overseas, not cheaper, but they have stock. Guess what - sorry, no deliveries of Shimano parts to SA. So the bigwigs at Shimano can keep us at ransom for their shite production schedules and lack of understanding of "freedom of choice"? Sitting here wondering how we just allow it? Nee man, NOT COOL!!!

I dont think its Shimano blocking us, it our local agents

8 hours ago, duringd said:

NOT COOLheat.......

The local agents, Cool Heat, are likely to blame. Otherwise it's Shimano expressing their right to freedom of choice as to whom and where they supply their parts.

19 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

NOT COOLheat.......

The local agents, Cool Heat, are likely to blame. Otherwise it's Shimano expressing their right to freedom of choice as to whom and where they supply their parts.

I cannot think it would be Shimano itself? How does it make sense for them to "block" themselves? If it's Cool Heat, how exactly is that not "anti competitive" practises?

Is "(geoblocking)." an international thing, or only applicable to third world mafia countries?

19 minutes ago, duringd said:

I cannot think it would be Shimano itself? How does it make sense for them to "block" themselves? If it's Cool Heat, how exactly is that not "anti competitive" practises?

huh?

Major brands who still hold to antiquated 'single supplier' importer business models block international purchasing across borders all the time. SRAM are the same. 

Try buy SRAM stuff from Chain Reaction.

It is geo blocked to support the business model. It's a crap business model, but one the bike industry seems to cling to.

You're raging, that's cool. But do some searching on the Google box to see exactly why it happens and to whom. The guys in the UK were shocked when BREXIT changed the way they could buy on line cross border. 

You're throwing out phrases without really understanding the global business model or considering it from any other perspective but your own, which is butthurt because you can't get wat you want..

I guess it's much the same as SuperSport geo blocking Red Bull TV and other broadcasters over certain events. They pay for the right to trade in an agreed region. 

Do I agree with it? No. 

But raging against international trade agreements is like swearing at your braai and posting rude comments on EskomSePush about Eskom

Figure out a way to get around it. I will give you a tip, there are entire multi page threads on BikeHub about VPN's, Global shopping middle men etc

Thanks, appreciate the advice. Just rather gatvol of being taken for a ..... by an industry where pricing is already at a premium. And yes, I am raging(apologies), I don't have an issue with everyone earning a little of the cake, but don't make me the prisoner for you wanting to eat the whole cake. 

1 hour ago, duringd said:

I don't have an issue with everyone earning a little of the cake, but don't make me the prisoner for you wanting to eat the whole cake. 

and if you want to be the only person serving cake in a monopoly... make sure you have enough cake...because even before stock shortages there was never enough cake...

8 hours ago, Maaknplan said:

I dont think its Shimano blocking us, it our local agents

there are loads of products, not just cycling, that do this. 

5 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

SRAM...

SRAM have exactly the same geo blocking on international sales... Cape Cycle systems are just a better local dealer and have things in stock 😉

I've got a mix of Shimano and SRAM on my bikes, totally agnostic over using both. I've never really been messed around having to wait for months for something either.

It's only a monopoly if you stick to one drive train