Stuck between two local brands: Signal vs Titan Racing

Dylanmtb

Hi everyone

Any advice between the signal s920 or titan racing rogue dash(currently out of stock for XL)

I'm 1.88m and 110kgs, just a generally big dude

I use to race competitively when I was in my teams on the road and got a Fuji nevada when we got asked to race in the school series. My MTB knowledge is limited and so is my funds.

I was shooketh when I saw the prices for these machines. I only want to do casual rides and of course I will ride abit hard every once in awhile. In my budget the two bike stuck out and some shops downplay the signal range. Is there a reason? cheap parts? difficult to upgrade? 

I convinced a shop to drop their prices on the signal 920 (R17100 including tubeless conversion) however I'm worried the trigger is being pulled pretty quickly by me. Unfortunately the rogue dash from titan racing is out of stock everywhere and not sure when the stock arrives.

Is the Signal s920 a good buy or is there something different I should look out for?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you want to hear my opinion? I will give it anyway cause I can't hear what your answer is :oops:.

Being 110kg means one thing: factory or stock items on any mtb will not be sufficient. You are going to have to look at some stronger items to ensure that you enjoy the sport and not have to trek the bike to the LBS after every ride

7 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Do you want to hear my opinion? I will give it anyway cause I can't hear what your answer is :oops:.

Being 110kg means one thing: factory or stock items on any mtb will not be sufficient. You are going to have to look at some stronger items to ensure that you enjoy the sport and not have to trek the bike to the LBS after every ride

Yeah I understand! Is there something else you recommend? Bike wise? do I look at the 2nd hand market? I have been struggling to find something

8 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

@Titan Racing Bikes do you have an option for stronger wheels ?

Never heard a bad story about the signal bikes. Same with Titan. Doesn't seem like you are going ro be testing them too hard. Sure either is fine. Get a bike. Ride it. Voila! 

2 hours ago, Dylanmtb said:

Hi everyone

Any advice between the signal s920 or titan racing rogue dash(currently out of stock for XL)

I'm 1.88m and 110kgs, just a generally big dude

I use to race competitively when I was in my teams on the road and got a Fuji nevada when we got asked to race in the school series. My MTB knowledge is limited and so is my funds.

I was shooketh when I saw the prices for these machines. I only want to do casual rides and of course I will ride abit hard every once in awhile. In my budget the two bike stuck out and some shops downplay the signal range. Is there a reason? cheap parts? difficult to upgrade? 

I convinced a shop to drop their prices on the signal 920 (R17100 including tubeless conversion) however I'm worried the trigger is being pulled pretty quickly by me. Unfortunately the rogue dash from titan racing is out of stock everywhere and not sure when the stock arrives.

Is the Signal s920 a good buy or is there something different I should look out for?

Was at SWH this afternoon. This looks like an incredible deal in the current market.

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/titan-cypher-rs-sport-29er-mountain-bike/

Says there one XL left online

Big dudes need strong wheels.
Buy whatever bike you like, but start saving for proper wheels.

Most OEM wheels are put together to help hit a price point, not to be the most durable.

If you're over 100kg and ride offroad, strong rims are a must.
There are some nice options by Lyne, Zero, DT Swiss, Spank and Stan's available at the moment.

Ride the original wheels until something breaks, then either replace just the rims and spokes, or buy new wheels which are designed and built to be more heavy duty.

17 hours ago, Dylanmtb said:

Hi everyone

Where are you based? We can get a rep in your area to ask around or we can look outside your province. 

Edited by Titan Racing Bikes

As per other comments. 

At your weight and likely strength, with a bit of riding aka skill background, I’d be looking for a Silverback Slade Trail or similar slacker head angled, 130-140mm strong ass trail bike.

You’ll find a good one used for R 15 k. 

I concur on the wheel aspect. Even quite expensive bikes often come with pathetically weak rims and hubs. It seems to be an area where skimping occurs at various price points. Specialized and Giant are guilty. 

14 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I concur on the wheel aspect. Even quite expensive bikes often come with pathetically weak rims and hubs. It seems to be an area where skimping occurs at various price points. Specialized and Giant are guilty. 

Generally speaking, for cycling components: You can have it light, you can have it strong, you can have it cheap. More often than not, you can only pick two of these attributes. The problem that occurs is when people want cheap and light bikes. This is when manufactures install garbage components. Cheap, light components will never last.

Sadly, price and weight are arguably the primary factors that people consider when buying a new bike. So really we cant blame manufacturers for giving us what we are asking for. 

Value for money is a different story. I'd argue that some brands are selling their bikes at much higher price points than other brands, even if the components are very similar and the frame manufacturing is all done in the same factory in Taiwan. This is why brands like Titan, Silverback and Signal exist. The big name brands have overpriced their bikes by such a margin that a whole new (decent quality, mind you) value bike market has come into existence.