• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

Rode in the foothills of the Drakensberg for the the first time, Dragon Peaks in the central berg.  Some magnificent backdrops but variable trails and somewhat over priced at R75.

I get the impression that it's only possible to ride trails in private estates in SA, is that correct? You can 't just go to a nice area and ride around to explore? Too dangerous?

Not today but Saturday

Rode up to the mast at Helderberg, stopped for coffee and to enjoy the view on a crisp winter morning. 2f3fa713eff3431e7a552128a0061f1b.jpg219bc0ebd4e65b0a7ce59309d6725790.jpg

Awesome, just how the Missus and I go hiking......with the coffee kit!

I get the impression that it's only possible to ride trails in private estates in SA, is that correct? You can 't just go to a nice area and ride around to explore? Too dangerous?

Security to some extent but also there is a lot of private land in SA without public access ways like Europe, be it for walking, riding or horse riding. SA has and little to no culture of public bike paths.  We also don't have anything like the density of public roads you are used to so a circular route can turn into a major ride.

My perfect ride...lunch time testing. Thanks to me mate trailer park for the loan of his following for a few days. What a ride...think I may of found the bike ????

Evil following and my inner child like behavior....perfect match ????

post-51529-0-61689000-1498806640_thumb.jpg

post-51529-0-09311800-1498806667_thumb.jpg

post-51529-0-23862700-1498806706_thumb.jpg

post-51529-0-88573300-1498806941_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pikey

Security to some extent but also there is a lot of private land in SA without public access ways like Europe, be it for walking, riding or horse riding. SA has and little to no culture of public bike paths.  We also don't have anything like the density of public roads you are used to so a circular route can turn into a major ride.

Thanks for the explanantion.

I'm starting to realise that this is indeed a major advantage here in Europe and Belgium and the Netherlands especially. So many bike paths, tow paths, cycling 'highways', longer cycling routes (like the North Sea Cycle Route of which I'm cycle a tiny bit of 250km in 3 weeks time),... And as a woman, I don't have to worry about my safety cycling alone. 

But the scenery is not as impressive as SA, and the weather isn't always that great, 

Had a lovely morning spin on the river loop route, in Brisbane. e9be25c27d628b802f13e9c33a276f50.jpg2d1918d8ac240f128721e912e0d5f05a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool. Literally, seeing as the typical two days of winter are upon us!