• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Strange weather here in Howteng at the moment ...

@The Ouzo thought I'd just quote something I wrote back when I ran the social media site for a bike shop

"So a bit of 'musing' about riding in cold weather ... This morning my hands were cold, as they always are riding in winter, and I wondered if perhaps I have missed something over the years about keeping them warm?

Despite all the promises on the tags of various gloves my hands are definitely not warm, clearly they are still not as cold as if you wore no gloves or normal summer gloves though and that is for sure!

I have tried all different kinds as well as the normal 'old timer' options of wearing thin runner type cotton gloves under as well as using surgical gloves. In all these cases I guess it does make it a bit LESS COLD bit definitely not WARMER 🤔

Anyone have any suggestions? NO, staying in bed under a warm duvet is not the right answer 😜

#TheOldGeezerInTheShop"

20230517_161514.jpg

I'm with you - I feel like I've figured out everything except my hands..

11 minutes ago, DJuice said:

Will have to get up at 4h to dress for a ride! Thanks all of the advice, now to convince myself to harden up.

Voorspoed 👍

Ek sukkel met daai 4am oefen .... middag werk beter

12 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Strange weather here in Howteng at the moment ...

@The Ouzo thought I'd just quote something I wrote back when I ran the social media site for a bike shop

"So a bit of 'musing' about riding in cold weather ... This morning my hands were cold, as they always are riding in winter, and I wondered if perhaps I have missed something over the years about keeping them warm?

Despite all the promises on the tags of various gloves my hands are definitely not warm, clearly they are still not as cold as if you wore no gloves or normal summer gloves though and that is for sure!

I have tried all different kinds as well as the normal 'old timer' options of wearing thin runner type cotton gloves under as well as using surgical gloves. In all these cases I guess it does make it a bit LESS COLD bit definitely not WARMER 🤔

Anyone have any suggestions? NO, staying in bed under a warm duvet is not the right answer 😜

#TheOldGeezerInTheShop"

20230517_161514.jpg

In my teenage years I used to deliver the Star newspaper. Weekends the paper had to be delivered in the morning. I did not have cycling kit back then. so it was woolen balaclava, whatever warm clothing and jackets I could put on, sometimes with a newspaper tucked into the front.

2 pairs of the warmest gloves I could find.

But those were the day where alberton would get to below freezing frequently on winter mornings. I'm talking frozen dog water bowls, ponds and bird baths.

the screen on the cateye on the bike would go totally black from the wind chill factor

18 hours ago, DJuice said:

@'Dalewas going to ask if you would be willing to show us your gear to prep for these winter rides?

I have given up on the indoor trainer. Currently running @4:30 in the mornings, had three layers on this morning, how do you prepare for the wind chill?

Our winters is a bit different, yours wet, ours dry below zero. 

Great advice and given here already.

My 5 tips for sub 10 weather riding would be:

1. Keep the extremities warm as a non-negotiable.- head, fingers, toes.

2. Keep the core a steady warm. Invest in layers that have good ventilation systems to avoid you sweating and then eventually getting cold. A good top will last for many seasons.

3. A gilet is gold especially keeping wind chill and moisture (light rain and mist) at bay.

4. Avoid getting drenched. Train close to home or find the nearest roof cover.

5. There is no kakka weather; only a poorly prepared athlete.

14 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

2. Keep the core a steady warm. Invest in layers that have good ventilation systems to avoid you sweating and then eventually getting cold. A good top will last for many seasons.

3. A gilet is gold especially keeping wind chill and moisture (light rain and mist) at bay.

Slight amendment:

1. Stay in bed

2. Warm cup coffee while in bed

3. One foot out to test temp

4. Back under the covers

5. 2nd cup coffee...

17 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

for me its the fingers that are a problem on these really cold days.

I did the nitryl gloves under regular gloves thing once, landed up with soaked wrinkly prune fingers.

I use a pair of Assos long finger autumn (fall) gloves under a pair of specialized water proof gloves and make sure that there is no gap between my jacket arm sleeves and gloves, tucking the sleeves under the gloves. Flexing the fingers regularly to pump warm blood through them.

Riding in the cold is scheisse

2 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

Slight amendment:

My 5 tips for cold, wet weather riding would be:

1. Stay in bed

2. Warm cup coffee while in bed

3. One foot out to test temp

4. Back under the covers

5. 2nd cup coffee...

Made a slight change (for me).

Edited by Frosty

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Made a slight change (for me).

I've just thought of an idea for the below 5deg mornings. Instead of putting the nytril gloves UNDER the normal gloves, I'm going to try them OVER. My thinking is that the normal gloves have some sort of moisture wicking and should keep the hands dry, the nytril gloves should stop the wind.

image.png.fc19398b34ba79fd7c9c8c5582106053.png

I got a pair of these, and have struggled with cold fingers in winter as I have Reynaud's Syndrome (basically lack of blood circulation). These gloves work wonders for me when it's chilly.

I also wear a pair of light running gloves underneath.

Also a game changer is buying booties, I bought a pair of the Castelli ones, worth every cent.

6 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Also see rules #9 and #5 😁

6 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Also see rules #9 and #5 😁

On 5/17/2023 at 4:25 PM, Frosty said:

I remember this winter (2020) as I lost a lot of plants with the black frost.

A balaclava is used on the really cold days. A buff just doesn’t cut it.
A gilet over the jacket for additional body warmth.

IMG_1174.png.2267c9cb625ecba21ac5392d1a0253a1.png

I stayed inside that day LOL

Screenshot 2023-05-18 190135.png

8 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

I've just thought of an idea for the below 5deg mornings. Instead of putting the nytril gloves UNDER the normal gloves, I'm going to try them OVER. My thinking is that the normal gloves have some sort of moisture wicking and should keep the hands dry, the nytril gloves should stop the wind.

A club mate showed us his  Johnson Workwear handy man gloves. They look like they could do the trick.