Sani2C - Gravel Bike??

Charity85

Good day Hubbers,

Got an opportunity to go to do Sani2C next year. I currently ride a gravel bike (Momsen R355) anyone else complete this race on a gravel bike, and what is your experience of it?

Edited by Charity85

Saw this standing in the shed after stage 2 back in 2014 before Gravel was cool
........so yes, possible.
I think a MTB would be more enjoyable though.

But if your skill is okay, you will be able to do the event.  Rather sukkel a little over the rough stuff and experience the adventure than give it up just because you don't have the perfect bike.

My 2c

2014 (26).JPG

Edited by Spinnekop

18 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Saw this standing in the shed after stage 2 back in 2014 before Gravel was cool
........so yes, possible.
I think a MTB would be more enjoyable though.

But if your skill is okay, you will be able to do the event.  Rather sukkel a little over the rough stuff and experience the adventure than give it up just because you don't have the perfect bike.

My 2c

2014 (26).JPG

Appreciate the advise, Im not really racing so going for the expierence and the views, so agree use the bike I have available

1 hour ago, Roul said:

Did Sani2C with a HT in 2021, was one of few that I saw. Doable but will be eina now and then.

I've done 4 Sani's with a HT and it was only eina in a few sections, mostly in those plantation single tracks.  We were racing in our age groups and doing pretty well.  My partner also on a HT, but a 29er.  He tried a Lauf on year 2 and found it challenging 

I think do-able on a good spec Gravel Bike, but you might want to take a slower approach, even on 40-45mm tyres.

Edited by Underachiever

the comfort of the R355 is quite something.  I have one as well as my only outdoors bike (the roadbike is parked on the Kickr). I did the Secunda mtb race in crazy conditions on pirelli 42's and completed it sub-100 while many DS bike owners packed up.  So I would say for it.  The bike can handle it.

Can a gravel bike do it? For damn sure. Gravel bikes can ride pretty much anything outside of jumps and drops above a certain spicyness.

The real question is the rider's intent and mentality rather than whether the bike can do it. Gravel bikes need some compromises when ridden in specific sections of mtb events, for sure. If however you're out there to have a good time, take in the sights, and are prepared to take a little bit more of a beating and ride a little more considerately, you'll have a blast.

I would recommend fitting the largest tyres your frame can handle with mud clearance, ideally reinforced versions, and spend time getting used to riding MTB trails with drops. If your budget can stretch it, a wide and flared handlebar makes a world of difference off road (I can recommend the Ritchey Venturemax and the Rapide Frontier gravel bar).

Edited by TyronLab

6 hours ago, TyronLab said:

Can a gravel bike do it? For damn sure. Gravel bikes can ride pretty much anything outside of jumps and drops above a certain spicyness.

The real question is the rider's intent and mentality rather than whether the bike can do it. Gravel bikes need some compromises when ridden in specific sections of mtb events, for sure. If however you're out there to have a good time, take in the sights, and are prepared to take a little bit more of a beating and ride a little more considerately, you'll have a blast.

I would recommend fitting the largest tyres your frame can handle with mud clearance, ideally reinforced versions, and spend time getting used to riding MTB trails with drops. If your budget can stretch it, a wide and flared handlebar makes a world of difference off road (I can recommend the Ritchey Venturemax and the Rapide Frontier gravel bar).

Check this YT video.

https://youtu.be/2NnMtqUSW_w

1 hour ago, mecheng89 said:

Check this YT video.

https://youtu.be/2NnMtqUSW_w

Mechanically, a good gravel bike will likely take a lot of abuse before failing, 100% agreed (and tested, by me, on cheap gravel bikes...). The lack of suspension, tyre volume and grip however means your room for error on gnarlier terrain is very small.

Can it be done on a gravel bike? Yes..
Would it be pleasant? the first 20km off course... next 2 days except if you have a leather arse your'e saddling up for some heavy "volcano arse". 

I did it this year on a full sus, and the last day I could not sit on my damm "Boutjies".

All jokes aside, I think next year is going to be special, it's the 20th-anniversary race so I would maybe recommend even borrowing a full sus, you want to take it all in and enjoy it.

35 minutes ago, Jacques93 said:

Can it be done on a gravel bike? Yes..
Would it be pleasant? the first 20km off course... next 2 days except if you have a leather arse your'e saddling up for some heavy "volcano arse". 

I did it this year on a full sus, and the last day I could not sit on my damm "Boutjies".

All jokes aside, I think next year is going to be special, it's the 20th-anniversary race so I would maybe recommend even borrowing a full sus, you want to take it all in and enjoy it.

I'll contest that statement by saying that your arse was sore because of riding a full sus...

This may not apply to you, so this is not a jab at you at all, but in general when I see people riding my local trails on full sus bikes, they very rarely do anything but just sit and pedal. They rely on the suspension to take up any imperfections and don't move or use their bodies. They also complain that you "need" rear suspension for comfort because of a sore arse.

Generally, I've rarely seen skilled hardtail / rigid / gravel riders just sitting and pedalling those same trails, and complain less about soreness.

I've ridden a rigid bike almost exclusively for a few years, and a good fit and being an active participant in the ride, not a passenger, makes a big difference in how much punishment you take. Sitting in the same position for extended periods of time, and a lack of saddle time, is what can give you a sore bum.

I'm not bashing full sus bikes and saying everyone needs to ride a rigid singlespeed to prove how hard they are. Suspension does not equal a better / fun time. Being a skilled, fit-enough rider outweighs the equipment.