New wheel size looming 750D

betaboy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MOOTS and WTB....... two small companies who have been pushing different things for years.

MOOTS have always made different, alternative bike frames as a side project and WTB were one of the first production companies to make wide rims, big tires, gravel tires, 650b plus gravel tires etc....

This is hardly the industry trying to create a new standard. More like two industry dorks building a side project

1 hour ago, splat said:

That's very beautiful - Im in two minds about gravel riding - I have a checkpoint aluminium with a very dorky tiagra groupset - nothing against tiagra in terms of gear shifting but the brakes feel a little too on or off and difficult to feather for my tastes - not too much of a problem on tar but on bumpy gravel descents it makes me feel nervous - maybe it's the bike but unless the gravel is nice and smooth I find myself hating the rigidity of the frame and if I'm on tar I find myself wishing for the snappy responsiveness of my road bike. 

There's a romantic appeal to gravel that when I'm on my comfy sofa dreaming of open roads and a drop bar bike - but all too often this fantasy becomes a bone shaking, momentum sapping, juddering reality when the rubber hits the dirt.

I'll keep trying .... maybe I need a new bike ... or bigger wheels -- that must be it!!?

Edited by Mamil

I'm curious looking at the pic posted by @splat.

At what point is too big a thing? I mean, would those wheels be an option for someone riding a size small frame? Or how steep will the down tube have to be to accommodate the wheel without scraping against it? Will the chainstay length increase exponentially each time a frame sizes up? Will fork lengths increase to fit the new larger diameter wheels?  When is enough just that, enough?

I don't particularly think I like the look of that bike. It's like one of those ladies going for breast augmentation surgery and opts for the watermelons, thinking they make her look sexy. Instead it ends up causing spinal injury in addition to all the crude jokes that it started. Double fail to my mind.

EDIT - And looking at the potential pedal placement at the 3 o'clock position, someone with big feet will need careful foot positioning to not scrape that tyre on a turn when the foot comes through the top stroke while pedaling. I would hate to be chucked OTB by my own foot while riding down a loose, gravelly descent trying to swerve for ruts in the road surface.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

13 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

At what point is too big a thing? I mean, would those wheels be an option for someone riding a size small frame? Or how steep will the down tube have to be to accommodate the wheel without scraping against it? Will the chainstay length increase exponentially each time a frame sizes up? Will fork lengths increase to fit the new larger diameter wheels?  When is enough just that, enough?

I don't particularly think I like the look of that bike. It's like one of those ladies going for breast augmentation surgery and opts for the watermelons, thinking they make her look sexy. Instead it ends up causing spinal injury in addition to all the crude jokes that it started. Double fail to my mind.

EDIT - And looking at the potential pedal placement at the 3 o'clock position, someone with big feet will need careful foot positioning to not scrape that tyre on a turn when the foot comes through the top stroke while pedaling. I would hate to be chucked OTB by my own foot while riding down a loose, gravelly descent trying to swerve for ruts in the road surface.

All these arguments regurgitated from when 29ers came onto the scene. WTB were a big part of that too.

MOOTS have been building frames for a long time, I'm pretty sure they know a thing or two about how to fit it all together.

Anyway, you guys either didn't read the article or are too worked up to realize you've been clickbaited hard.

It even says in the article that the wheel size proto types were made AGES ago and there are no plans to produce it commercially. Yet.

This thing popped up at a boutique, custom/hand built bike show showcasing weird and wonderful creations in the bike spectrum.

The journo has sucked you guys in hard!

As an aside, I think the bike looks beautiful. I'd bang

7 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

All these arguments regurgitated from when 29ers came onto the scene. WTB were a big part of that too.

MOOTS have been building frames for a long time, I'm pretty sure they know a thing or two about how to fit it all together.

Anyway, you guys either didn't read the article or are too worked up to realize you've been clickbaited hard.

It even says in the article that the wheel size proto types were made AGES ago and there are no plans to produce it commercially. Yet.

This thing popped up at a boutique, custom/hand built bike show showcasing weird and wonderful creations in the bike spectrum.

The journo has sucked you guys in hard!

problem is I see a few cycling sites have picked up this story. Again like you say, clickbait, and its working.

4 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

My questions are rhetorical based on the picture at hand. 

I did read the article as well, and understand what is being implied. Just commenting on an observation. I am fully aware that the people building the frames and wheels know what they are doing, but I am more wondering aloud about how far engineering progression can be taken before it becomes unviable. 

The bike is purdy in a weird way, but I'd pass. 

Different strokes, different okes.

3 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

The only reason BS like this happens is because of 'we the people' who are willing to feed that monster by happily opening our wallets and forking out hard earned money to the unscrupulous sellers.

Stop feeding the monster and it will die. 

Sorry to inform you Sir.

Your application to our marketing department was unsuccessful ....

This industry, like most sports, are so much more about marketing than actual engineering ...

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

FIRST thing I noticed was the total lack of space between the pedals and the front wheel.

I have already had it where the front wheel clips my toes and I can turn, or even worse, I could not straighten the front wheel :eek:

On my last couple of bikes I place my foot on the pedal, 3-o-clock, then check free swing of the steering .....

This setup will give me nightmares !!!

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

FIRST thing I noticed was the total lack of space between the pedals and the front wheel.

I have already had it where the front wheel clips my toes and I can turn, or even worse, I could not straighten the front wheel :eek:

On my last couple of bikes I place my foot on the pedal, 3-o-clock, then check free swing of the steering .....

This setup will give me nightmares !!!

Glad to see I am not the only one seeing the potential for risk in a bike like that. But then, what is sexy to me is when the front wheel is stretched away from the front triangle, not brought closer.

I was also wondering about the geometry on such a setup and how different a SML will ride compared to XL for instance. Sleepless nights for sure