Car changes over the years

OVERDRIVE

The sheer size of most 4x4 vehicles is crazy. You'd think that a smaller lighter vehicle with no trailer/caravan would make more sense but no, these biscuits take the biggest vehicle, often with only one or two people on board and then add a massive off-road trailer loaded with everything from a small boat to a keg of beer and then wonder why they battle to get through some super gnarly terrain. Why do you need to live like you're at home when you out in the bush?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Headshot said:

The sheer size of most 4x4 vehicles is crazy. You'd think that a smaller lighter vehicle with no trailer/caravan would make more sense but no, these biscuits take the biggest vehicle, often with only one or two people on board and then add a massive off-road trailer loaded with everything from a small boat to a keg of beer and then wonder why they battle to get through some super gnarly terrain. Why do you need to live like you're at home when you out in the bush?

Sorry, did someone say beer?

"Ugh, expensive, gargantuan, underutilized cars are a disgusting cancer of a superficial society" baulks the weekend warrior straddling a R90k full carbon/electronic shifting/Kashima-slathered racehorse toy he rides gravel roads with twice a month...

🤣

43 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

"Ugh, expensive, gargantuan, underutilized cars are a disgusting cancer of a superficial society" baulks the weekend warrior straddling a R90k full carbon/electronic shifting/Kashima-slathered racehorse toy he rides gravel roads with twice a month...

🤣

Funny you should say that.

I was thinking along similar lines this morning when navigating traffic, being just a single person on my motorised transport.

As long as you can afford the type of car you are driving then who are we to judge, just drive responsibly and don't be a chop.

With respect to making financially wise decisions, my thought process was the person on a top of the range Epic doing a single lap at Meerendal once a month, the base model would have served this person well enough, but who cares. Unless the base bike was red, then the base bike would have been faster #RedBikesAreFaster!

Oh, I may have been a single person on my mode of transport, but this mode of transport is a motorbike :P

16 hours ago, Headshot said:

That will be me and my kids this weekend. Well without the boat. We’re leaving it behind, the weather isn’t great. And the towing vehicle isn’t big, neither is the trailer.

But let me tell you why people do this: Because it’s fun, because it’s more comfortable than sleeping rough, because it’s an adventure in a sanitized world, and because they can.

Don’t ride your Spez enduro on the green belts? And your hardtail also has more travel than a gravel grinder? 

3 hours ago, PhilipV said:

That will be me and my kids this weekend. Well without the boat. We’re leaving it behind, the weather isn’t great. And the towing vehicle isn’t big, neither is the trailer.

But let me tell you why people do this: Because it’s fun, because it’s more comfortable than sleeping rough, because it’s an adventure in a sanitized world, and because they can.

Don’t ride your Spez enduro on the green belts? And your hardtail also has more travel than a gravel grinder? 

Phil you're just going camping not 4x4 adventuring so don't run yourself down like that. 😉 I also like some comfort when camping and a trailer is useful when you have  a family. BTW I enjoy a far harder workout riding the belts on my heavy Enduro than any gravel rider would...

On 9/1/2023 at 7:14 AM, PhilipV said:

an offroad vehicle being used for offroad adventures...... who would have thought.

My beef is more to do with the offroad vehicle sitting in traffic, taking up a whole lane with a single occupant while driving it in the gutter blocking cyclists from passing.

I sampled that Ranger yesterday. For its size its tiny inside which i probably why most if the guys driving them are the gym types with big upper bodies and tiny .............

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

an offroad vehicle being used for offroad adventures...... who would have thought.

My beef is more to do with the offroad vehicle sitting in traffic, taking up a whole lane with a single occupant while driving it in the gutter blocking cyclists from passing.

I sampled that Ranger yesterday. For its size it’s tiny inside which i probably why most if the guys driving them are the gym types with big upper bodies and tiny .............

…calves? Glutes? Hamstrings? ….oh, THAT tiny…😉🤣

Test road 3 x cars this morning ... it is amazing the difference in feel and handling between them.

We may have found our new car, at a price that is pretty much a "bargain"

4 hours ago, Hairy said:

Test road 3 x cars this morning ... it is amazing the difference in feel and handling between them.

We may have found our new car, at a price that is pretty much a "bargain"

Worst time of the year to purchase a necessary liability. If you can wait hang onto the cash till April/May when the dealers move old stock. 

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Worst time of the year to purchase a necessary liability. If you can wait hang onto the cash till April/May when the dealers move old stock. 

The retail is R439K ex. on the road fees, we walking out at R406K on the road....they have "excess stock" to be cleared, so a limited offer.

This particular model was released in SA Nov/Dec 2021, with some upgrades done for the 2023 model years.....so happy to make a move on this one.

Just need to take a day or two off to let the excitement settle so that a cool headed decision can be made.

Car meets all our needs, and is better at this discounted price vs the competition we have looked at.

3 minutes ago, Hairy said:

The retail is R439K ex. on the road fees, we walking out at R406K on the road....they have "excess stock" to be cleared, so a limited offer.

This particular model was released in SA Nov/Dec 2021, with some upgrades done for the 2023 model years.....so happy to make a move on this one.

Just need to take a day or two off to let the excitement settle so that a cool headed decision can be made.

Car meets all our needs, and is better at this discounted price vs the competition we have looked at.

I’m sure you’ve done the maths. And if you’re happy, go for it 😎

12 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

I’m sure you’ve done the maths. And if you’re happy, go for it 😎

I am happy, and more importantly the wife who is more fiscally conservative than me is fully on board after testing a few other cars and looking around for a while.

9 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I am happy, and more importantly the wife who is more fiscally conservative than me is fully on board after testing a few other cars and looking around for a while.

You’re lucky, I had to do a presentation to Treasury, The Reserve Bank, Standing Comittee on finance and meet an IMF team for an upgrade 🤣