Update on Spruit Robbery

Stingaaaz

1 hour ago, Bicycle Supply Chain said:

I would suggest that the admin team contact all the people who purchased items from him on bike hub (as can be seen by the ratings and bike hub pay etc) and inform them that their items are possibly stolen goods and allow them to trace the original owners and return the goods to them  or hand them over to the investigators. 

Would be an interesting test of character ..........

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, 117 said:

Willing buyer = Willing seller 

As noble as it is to encourage buyers to hand over goods, you're better of farting in the bath and hiding the fact that you're proud of the bubbles

They might not have a choice, unlikely that’s saps will. But if you have been found to unwittingly bought stolen goods, you forfeit, saps takes it as part of investigation and ultimately it should go back to original owner/insurance as I have it. So more like buyer beware

38 minutes ago, Murrob said:

They might not have a choice, unlikely that’s saps will. But if you have been found to unwittingly bought stolen goods, you forfeit, saps takes it as part of investigation and ultimately it should go back to original owner/insurance as I have it. So more like buyer beware

What if these buyers bought the item/s from Francois via Bike Hub Pay? Is the claim then against Bike Hub or still the seller?

12 minutes ago, FaizelSalie_01 said:

What if these buyers bought the item/s from Francois via Bike Hub Pay? Is the claim then against Bike Hub or still the seller?

Still the seller I would think as bikehub pay is just facilitating the transaction safely for both parties. There are of course possible avenues to pursue if you paid by card, but that would be within specified time frames and based on the rules and or insurance products linked to your card from the bank.

The question would be what could be further done to better police this? Perhaps the seller needs to put the serial number in when loading up the ad and it can be checked against the database of stolen items on the hub? You probably would want this behind the scenes as I wouldn’t necessarily want a serial number available on a public ad, just now someone gets clever with it. Then the next question is, how many people keep individual record of all of their serial numbers for all their items on their bikes? Electronic stuff is easy, as it’s generally linked to an app of piece of software, but other items will take a little bit of admin.

This is exactly what I thought is happening, someone sitting here on the hub reading about guys getting their stuff stolen while they sell stolen goods right here on the hub. You can be certain there are 3 or 4 others doing the same. If the deal seems to good to be true, it probably is...

12 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

These are what is known as Cartels operating right under our noses.

How does a person accumulate hordes of spares ? If not from stolen Bicycles Then From where ?

i have a lot of spares accumulated, and scouts honour I'm legit.

But yes, i do see this avenue being quite possible to fence goods at large scale.

What could be done if someone has connected your watch with a new profile is to get the investigating officer to contact Garmin and request the information.

They also stole my iphone and forced me at gunpoint to switch off Find My Phone.
Was able to connect to my phone via an app and found the cell phone number that was connected to it. It's a prepaid Cell C number that is linked to a Zimbabwean passport. The person at Cell C store told me that's all the info they can give and that the investigating officer must contact Cell C head quarters for further details. Maybe we can ping the number and catch the guys who deal with the stolen phones from cyclists and runners.

Have contacted Patty on Facebook to see a watch and he was quick to reply and wanted to sell. Then he blocked me. Maybe suspected something. Anyone who's watch has been stolen must watch the ads and if they see their watch then set up a meet with the investigating officer.

The officer wants to get Patty but they need to catch him with the stolen goods. Pretty sure he's involved with the stolen cellphones too.

I thought the patty guy looked familiar, I went back in my Facebook messenger to find I've contacted him 2 years ago about a watch. Something tingled my spidey senses back then and decided against it, what a relief 😅.

On 9/8/2023 at 9:15 AM, Shebeen said:

i have a lot of spares accumulated, and scouts honour I'm legit.

Same. I even have new things that I never ended up using. But i mean it’s not like I have enough parts to open a store or anything. I will admit though that if I accidentally trip and fall with my card in my hand and in so doing acquire a new frame….it is totally possible for a bicycle to start growing around said frame😅

Hi my name is Morné….and i don’t have a problem…YOU have a problem😁

10 hours ago, MORNE said:

Same. I even have new things that I never ended up using. But i mean it’s not like I have enough parts to open a store or anything. I will admit though that if I accidentally trip and fall with my card in my hand and in so doing acquire a new frame….it is totally possible for a bicycle to start growing around said frame😅

Hi my name is Morné….and i don’t have a problem…YOU have a problem😁

I know you have a lot of Spares.

But you don't have 25 Cassettes For Sale, Do You ? 😝

• 2 weeks later...

Francois is still selling stolen watches on Facebook. I'm looking for a new watch and came across his ad on Facebook marketplace.

Suddenly remembered his name sounded familiar and then came here to double check.