Di2 charger not supplied with second hand bike purchase

cathmtb

Hi all

I recently purchased a second hand road bike with Ultegra Di2. I found the bike here on bikehub, the lady selling it had moved to CT from JHB and a few of my friends know her so I took the risk of buying a bike I hadnt been able to view. Anyway the bike arrived without the Di2 charger (its one of the older models so a replacement charger was quoted as R2800). I paid her her full asking price for the bike. Had I known the charger would not be supplied I would have offered her less for the bike. The charger comes in the box with any new Di2 set, same as buying a cellphone, you get a charger in the box, a garmin you get a charger in the box. She is now refusing to pay for another charger or refund me any amount to go buy another one. She says I shouldnt have assumed the charger would have been sent with the bike if it wasnt specified in the advert. Please could you share your opinions, am I in the wrong here? I feel like its quite an obvious thing to be supplied that shouldnt need to be listed in an advert. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

my first thought would be that its a stolen bike, so she does not have the charger.

That’s a fair shout.. 🤔 how well do your friends know her.?!🤷🏼‍♂️

I think technically the woman is correct: if it wasn't listed, you shouldn't expect it to be included. Having said that, I can see why you're a bit peeved.

My view would be that it is not worth the aggravation; put big girl panties on and buy a charger yourself

11 minutes ago, Ozzie NL said:

I think technically the woman is correct: if it wasn't listed, you shouldn't expect it to be included. Having said that, I can see why you're a bit peeved.

My view would be that it is not worth the aggravation; put big girl panties on and buy a charger yourself

Technically yes🤣🤣.. however I think it’s pretty important part of the system and should be mentioned if it isn’t listed.. imagine I sold a helmet and didn’t supply the padding because you simply didn’t ask if it was included..

not okay..

20 minutes ago, Ozzie NL said:

ja but.

seriously?

What next, sell a bike without tubes? take out the gear cables? 

the biggest crime here is actually that a charger costs R2800, and anyone who buys one at the price is complicit(another story, I know  - sorry)

She should have informed you first . Now she should pay for the new charger . It's not like you can just buy a charger at the local electronics shop . The charger is part and parcel of the groupset .

ALL NECESSARY items that make the thing that you are selling WORK PROPERLY should be SUPPLIED with it.

If you are selling something that requires ANOTHER item to make it work properly, IT SHOULD BE SPECIFIED IN YOUR ADVERT AS NOT BEING SUPPLIED.

OTHERWISE you're just being DEVIOUS!

6 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

ja but.

seriously?

What next, sell a bike without tubes? take out the gear cables? 

the biggest crime here is actually that a charger costs R2800, and anyone who buys one at the price is complicit(another story, I know  - sorry)

This is spot on.. it’s common practice to sell a bike without pedals on.. fine.. but how far does it go.. next thing okes are selling bikes without the brakes..

and exactly, it’s not like, suck it up, it’s only a couple hundred bucks to get one.. that’s expensive for essentially a cable with a fancy connection.. it’s ultegra Di2 road bike, I’m assuming carbon and has already cost a pretty penny.. I’d be pretty annoyed..

The latest iPhone does not come with a charger, just a cable.

I bought a 2nd hand bike too without a Di2 charger; I looked and bought on bikehub a 2nd hand one. I have seen Di2 bicycles here on bikehub, some sellers mention about the charger and some not; best is always to ask the seller upfront whether the charger is included or not.

10 minutes ago, FaizelSalie_01 said:

The latest iPhone does not come with a charger, just a cable.

your iphone can be plugged into any usb port, I'm guessing Di2 cant.

If you want a charging cable and even a charger for your iphone you can get it at just about any store these days, and it costs virtually nothing for a basic one.

Somehow I doubt sellers will take these chances when selling via Bike Hub Pay ....

Would actually be interesting to hear from the Bosses as to how they would manage this type of "mis-communication" and subsequent views and opinions ....