Bike for casual riding and exercise?

ZNIPERZA

Hi all,

Can someone please recommend a road bike for a beginner for casual riding and exercise. I am obese and need a bike with a wide padded seat that’s comfortable for long riding sessions?

I would say, aim for a Mountian bike and then spend some bucks on a saddle that suits you but your backside must get used to the long sitting, Dual suspension is not needed for general riding, if the Nobbies makes it too hard, you can have "easier rolling" tires fitted but most important enjoy the trip and all the best for the way forward.

Morning how big are you and how tall? And Where are you. Like they said, start with a cheap hardtail and progress from there.

If your goal is weight loss, you'll get further improving your diet. Exercise is only a small part of weight loss and you'll see bigger and faster results with a good diet. Diet here being not a fad/unsustainable diet, but a diet you can sustain in the long run. 

asks for road bike advice, gets told how to live his life.

I love Bikehub.

OP, have you had a look in the classifieds? Size?

I would look at getting a gravel bike as it will do you just fine on the roads and be slightly more robust that a road bike.

A hardtail MTB would also work, but tbh they suck at riding on roads, so I would avoid it if you only plan on riding on the road.

There are a number of good options in the classifieds. You haven't really mentioned bike size or budget. That is usually a good place to start.

Glad you are making moves to turn your life around. A bit of consistent weight off the legs exercise on the bike along with some food/lifestyle choices should have you shedding KG in no time.

I agree with @Jewbacca. Everyone always says start with mtb. I did that and ended up spending way more than i would've liked on getting my "bargain hard tail" working. Mtb's have it hard...

Roadbikes on the other hand have it fairly easy from what I've seen, a lot cheaper in terms of maintenance and getting going. I bought my wife a Fuji Newest 1.0 (roadbike) to start cycling with that I paid R3k for. The only thing I had to change was the saddle, I bought her a couch of a selle italia womens' saddle.

Bike fitting is also important. I reckon head to your local bikeshop. Ask them if you can test a road bike as well as a hard tail mtb and see what YOU prefer. 

I have nothing against mountain bikes, but for a first time buyer it is easy to buy a lemon with busted components. Lessons learnt the hard way. 

Don't skimp on the helmet though, and most importantly have fun!

Here's my prediction: 

1) OP requests opinion on aspect with very little additional information 

2) Everyone provides feedback with the very little information provided and ask for clarity on some elements 

3) The larger BH community gets into heated discussions regarding opinions and answers given

4) OP dissappears and leaves everyone wondering about the outcome :blink:

Is it Friday yet? 

6 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

asks for road bike advice, gets told how to live his life.

I love Bikehub.

OP, have you had a look in the classifieds? Size?

I would look at getting a gravel bike as it will do you just fine on the roads and be slightly more robust that a road bike.

A hardtail MTB would also work, but tbh they suck at riding on roads, so I would avoid it if you only plan on riding on the road.

There are a number of good options in the classifieds. You haven't really mentioned bike size or budget. That is usually a good place to start.

Glad you are making moves to turn your life around. A bit of consistent weight off the legs exercise on the bike along with some food/lifestyle choices should have you shedding KG in no time.

Hahahaha 100%

Bike size, budget is all going to be a factor.. go talk to your local bike shop and get their recommendations.. 

I do agree a mountain bike may be a better option if you are as large as you say it will be a better riding position for you.. road bikes are a much more aggressive riding position and require a certain amount of flexibility which you might struggle with.. but I’m saying that you might also find a endurance/gravel bike that you feel pretty good on.. 🤷🏼‍♂️ but you on the right track with a low impact exercise until you are not carrying so much weight.. 

we just don’t want you on the wrong style bike and then you get discouraged because cycling isn’t “comfortable”.. when it’s actually the BEST THING YOU CAN EVER DO FOR YOURSELF.. 

id say keep it simple, put yourself into a calorie deficit, get a mountain bike and start pedaling.. 💪🏼😃🤙🏻

3 hours ago, Armandt_R said:

I agree with @Jewbacca. Everyone always says start with mtb. I did that and ended up spending way more than i would've liked on getting my "bargain hard tail" working. Mtb's have it hard...

Roadbikes on the other hand have it fairly easy from what I've seen, a lot cheaper in terms of maintenance and getting going. I bought my wife a Fuji Newest 1.0 (roadbike) to start cycling with that I paid R3k for. The only thing I had to change was the saddle, I bought her a couch of a selle italia womens' saddle.

Bike fitting is also important. I reckon head to your local bikeshop. Ask them if you can test a road bike as well as a hard tail mtb and see what YOU prefer. 

I have nothing against mountain bikes, but for a first time buyer it is easy to buy a lemon with busted components. Lessons learnt the hard way. 

Don't skimp on the helmet though, and most importantly have fun!

Also agree here..

I bought a hardtail mtb and while I like riding trails they are half an hour car drive away.. which isn’t bad but I found myself just riding road because it was more convenient and the goal was improved health and fitness.. I’m now riding a gravel bike on the road(32 slick tires) and I love it.. but I would never have known that if I hadn’t started out on my hardtail and found my way to where I am now.. soooo yeah🤷🏼‍♂️ I actually have no idea.. 🤦‍♂️🤣🤣

Guys, can we all please at least agree(ALL OTHER FACTORS ASIDE) for someone that has used the word obese to describe themselves that a hardtail mtb(dual suspension if you can afford it, and I only say this to be as comfortable as possible in order to not get discouraged before you’ve even been able to give it a solid chance), and you’re probably going to have to buy an aftermarket saddle that is more suitable to your physique, a wider saddle etc, is going to be the way to go forward.. 

I know how easily the brain goes “nah I can’t do this, back to the couch..”

20kg (regular exercise and my diet is maybe 30/40% better than it was) later and I’ve never been happier with myself.. 

yes just get on a bike and start pedaling is great advice, but if you can at least get yourself on the right equipment you’re chance of success is definitely going to be better.. also your first ride is going to SUCK.! Your second, third, fourth ride will SUCK, they will SUCK for a very long time but I promise you it does get enjoyable.!

Do the research, go to a shop and talk to cyclists, make an informed decision and get pedaling.. I really hope this thread doesn’t put you off the idea all together.. 

good luck.! 💪🏼😉🤙🏻

2 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I'll probably get crucified but I have just 2 pieces of advice from personal experience

1. As mentioned most weight loss is achieved in the kitchen, as the @Gnarly mantra goes eat less, pooh more!

2. Get a bike ANY bike and start riding, short rides to start with even if it's just around the block. Whatever bike and/or saddle you get it's going to hurt ... if you are serious about this journey it's the best thing you'll ever do for yourself!

When you get to the point, and believe me it's not overnight so you have time, that you worry about how much the bike weighs and what terrain you riding on and suites you then worry about whether it's a road or mountain or gravel or whatever it may be

Anyway that's my 0.05c worth

After the third reply I thought the thread was done.

Question asked .... ANSWERED, until more info provided.

As @NotSoBigBen says ... weight loss starts in the kitchen.

2016 I was 110kg, size XXXL .... morbidly obese.

March we made a total shift in our approach to food .... back to basics and fresh food.  No fad diet.

Stuck to this for many months before I got to 90kg .... ZERO  exercise.

At this point I borrowed an old Hypermarket bike from a friend.

800m lap had me in pain for a week 🙈  Then 900m lap .... and a 1km lap .... then the trails ... 5km ... 10km .... just about packed a picknick bag for my first 30km.

PS .... actually picked up weight during this phase ... part of the process to overfeed when the exercise gets more ....

Got down to 84kg, and a very lean body fat %, then started putting on muscle mass, still low body fat.  6 years later, still constant.

Took decades to reach morbidly obese .... took a few years to get moderately fit again.

Long journey.  WELL WORTH IT.

Back to what bike .... morbidly obese typically goes hand in hand with flexibility issues .... road bike setup my be a step too quick .... a good bike fit, including flexibilty testing may assist in a good decision ...

Huge respect for reaching out and asking for information .... even though so many of us freely dispence advice as well ....

Edited by ChrisF

People are boldly assuming the OP isn't already making dietary changes and using the bike as a cog in the process of losing weight.

Before saying telling them what to do, maybe ask them where they are in their weight loss journey first?

Just a suggestion from someone who has asked a pretty simple question here before and received answers from people who really don't know me treating me like I had never ridden a bike before.

It was hugely off putting and I stopped reading my own thread because the answers to my question were hidden amongst walls of anecdotal knowing better.

On 10/24/2023 at 10:54 PM, ZNIPERZA said:

Hi all,

Can someone please recommend a road bike for a beginner for casual riding and exercise. I am obese and need a bike with a wide padded seat that’s comfortable for long riding sessions?

Hi @ZNIPERZA welcome, I've helped a few people onto bikes over the years, a few shapes and sizes as we all tend to be. :) 

Not sure of your cycling experience?
Have you considered something of a hybrid? Not all too common, but can be adapted for you. Or for example, an endurance road bike/gravel bike converted to a flat handlebar setup might work perfectly in your favour for comfort on the road.
For a wider saddle people often opt for a cheaper aftermarket option with a gel over cover, be careful of too much padding as it often causes more pain and chafing. If budget isn't too much of a concern then I'd look at something from one of the known brands. Ie; Topeak Ergon, Specialized, Bontrager, Selle Italia etc
A bike fitment could also be a world of good. 

Hope this helps, happy riding mate!