[Event] Ronde Van Riebeek

Adriaan Theron

6 minutes ago, gemmerbal said:

Looks like rain on Thursday and Friday as you said, Saturday looks like no rain but cold. I’ve never done the event before but if its gravel roads I don’t think it should be a problem if its a wet surface. Naturally it won’t roll as easy but that’s ok, nothing will be as bad as 36One from last year. Dealing with that peanut-butter 💩 for that many kms was pure evil. 

mmm, all depends on how the surface drains / dries I guess.

I am still on the fence!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

image.png.f01569896007fafbc4247a68d94af18c.pngThis is based off the 50miler i did last year - does seem like damp/drizzle conditions for the morning.

I have entered, not sure I'm excited to go if there's a lot of rain. But having raced more or less that side (Old Hermon/Gravel monster) it takes A LOT of rain for it to become really muddy

1 minute ago, Jbr said:

I have entered, not sure I'm excited to go if there's a lot of rain. But having raced more or less that side (Old Hermon/Gravel monster) it takes A LOT of rain for it to become really muddy

last year was more or less the same prediction, turned out to be sunny and awesome. 

2 minutes ago, Jbr said:

It can’t possibly be as bad as last years Old Hermon. By far the worst conditions I’ve ever raced in.

2 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

It can’t possibly be as bad as last years Old Hermon. By far the worst conditions I’ve ever raced in.

Yet it wasn't very muddy, there were lots of puddles and the bikes were miserable in the end, but we didn't have to ride through long sections of thick mud, struggling to get traction (at least not at the front of the race)

2 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Yet it wasn't very muddy, there were lots of puddles and the bikes were miserable in the end, but we didn't have to ride through long sections of thick mud, struggling to get traction (at least not at the front of the race)

Last years problem was the lead up to the race. I don’t think it rained much on the day itself but we had huge amounts of continuous rain throughout winter. 

So far it doesn’t seem as cold and wet this year. I get that rain is good in general but man it wreaks havoc on your bike.

So Sat looks like it going to be dry but somewhat chilly. How those roads are going to hold up to the all the rain coming on Thurs & Fri is going to be interesting, let's hope they won't become slush puppies.

Edited by BuffsVintageBikes
spell

Havent done a 100miler distance since DC 2022!

Got roped in around a braaivleisvuur for TransBaviaans later this year, so this is going to be an interesting Saturday coming...

Must remember to go dust of the MTB sooner, rather than later

Difficult 1 this, loved doing it last year in the dry...didnt like going wrong...

Done 3 races, 170km, 110km,200km back to back wknds...going to fail miserable or still enough to finish well in age cat...

wish the rain came earlier... lets see how voting day goes...

If its muddy, thinner tyres going to roll beter...less surface to glogg on to...

I did this ride on a mtb last year, hated being bullied by gravel bikes and the penny finally dropped that I am wasting my time gravelling on a mtb. So unfinished business for me and unless there is a monsoon on Saturday there is no way I'm not showing up in Riebeek-Kasteel with my gravel bike.

flippen okes on the fence, weather is looking good for this.

big rain is only sunday.

if it's the same 170km route, I remember there being one crappy section of sloshy stuff for 3-5km, after about 60km. 

the other 165km the gravel bike was king.

2 days out, a little rain for Saturday, but light and late:

Today has rain in RK and Piketverg, but clear tomorrow

IMG_5305.png

IMG_5307.jpeg

IMG_5308.jpeg