GCN+ Closing

WIPEOUT 1000

Just got the e-mail message that that GCN+ will soon be closing. Not sure how I feel about it, I only really used it to watch events.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ya same, what a shame. i actually enjoy the TDF Vuelta and Giro more than ever this year not mention world champs... on the fence about the commentary for the DH and XCO.

What the hell...??!!! Just subscribed for another year!!! 

Reason? Financial? 

All the presenters - live races - all gone?  Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There goes the ability to watch live races on any devise anywhere!! This is a disater! Ok...taking deep breaths! 

this is crummy for all concerned. no doubt, there will be the usual attrition that follows such bean-counterish decisions.

I can't get my head around what I'll do instead, but I'm pretty sure someone here will find a way. If that's you, please share if it's something accessible to us all.

That said, if the solution is Eurosport, that's not terrible... IIRC, that will bring the Olympics (I hope) into my home as well as Le Mans 24hr. All I need to figure out is how to pay for it.

If I'm brutally honest, I'm not going to miss it. I was literally think about not renewing for 2024 the other day. It seems they've made the decision for me.

The streaming was incredibly laggy, to such an extent that I flat out refused to used it any longer and just use other another paid subscription service instead (I was one of the first sign ups for GCN+, when they had a miniscule sign up fee). The ball-ache always having to watch through a VPN for top races also got old fast. 

1 hour ago, WIPEOUT 1000 said:

Just got the e-mail message that that GCN+ will soon be closing. Not sure how I feel about it, I only really used it to watch events.

Some of the documentaries were top notch. I suppose I have to binge watch them all before the service closes. I have a month. 

9 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

If I'm brutally honest, I'm not going to miss it. I was literally think about not renewing for 2024 the other day. It seems they've made the decision for me.

The streaming was incredibly laggy, to such an extent that I flat out refused to used it any longer and just use other another paid subscription service instead (I was one of the first sign ups for GCN+, when they had a miniscule sign up fee). The ball-ache always having to watch through a VPN for top races also got old fast. 

and you probably unlucky as such... had zero issues through a vpn watching. i think it was the Giro that was streamed in SA that was without the vpn again flawless

1 hour ago, Meezo said:

on the fence about the commentary for the DH and XCO.

I’d happily pay R799/year with crappy commentary if it meant I had access to every race.

1 hour ago, pedal menace said:

What the hell...??!!! Just subscribed for another year!!! 

They will credit you pro-rata.

The message about WBD “consolidating its streaming services and to offer content in fewer places” possibly means someone like DStv has the rights in SA, so we won’t get it here.

For Eurosport, one needs a EU credit card to be able to pay for their subscription. Hopefully the App Store can allow in-app purchases, which might resolve it.

I am in Ireland and will also need to move to Eurosport, but apparently will need to use a VPN as well. So frustrating as I am in the 1st world 🤣

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

The message about WBD “consolidating its streaming services and to offer content in fewer places” possibly means someone like DStv has the rights in SA, so we won’t get it here.

100%, we're ******

Edited by Jbr